Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Josh Sawyer On Fallout New Vegas

1eyedking said:
Achievements are time sinks.

I still don't understand them. I mean, I do, but I can't understand why people want them.

Unless...people actually want time sinks? But is it the fact they're called 'achievements' that makes sheeple feel better about "wasting" time?

The mind boggles yet again. Society slowly retreats from my grasp with every news post.

Games themselves are time sinks. You play a game to pass the time.

Vibalist

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
1eyedking said:
Achievements are time sinks.

I still don't understand them. I mean, I do, but I can't understand why people want them.

Unless...people actually want time sinks? But is it the fact they're called 'achievements' that makes sheeple feel better about "wasting" time?

The mind boggles yet again. Society slowly retreats from my grasp with every news post.

Games themselves are time sinks. You play a game to pass the time.

You don't do it to repeat the same boring task a hundred times though, like gathering a hundred carrots to get some achievement. Which is what many of these achievements are about.

Wasn't it in DA where you got some achievement for drinking 25 health potions and all sorts of stupid shit like that?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wasn't it in DA where you got some achievement for drinking 25 health potions and all sorts of stupid shit like that?

:lol:

Is there one for hitting 25 times too?

Data4

Arcane
Achievements should be similar to Honor Points in WoW. Make the points a type of currency to spend on special items. At least then you have a more "tangible" (for lack of a better word) reason to earn them. Otherwise, they're meaningless.

I recently had an interesting argument with someone in WoW over Achievement Points. I did something really stupid -- hey, it happens-- and this guy whispered me telling me how much of a "nub" I was, etc. When I asked him if he thought he was some kind of expert, he replied "I've got XXXX Achievement Points. What does that tell you?"

"That you seriously need to get a life."

Cassidy

Arcane
Sheeple want to feel themselves fulfilled over totally insignificant, futile and pointless accomplishments. News at 11.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom