Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
2D and/or turn-based were out everywhere in the early 2000s. Bioware was no exception
Irrelevant to the point I was making about Gaider's statement :M
The point was Gayder didn't have a point. It was on not tables anywhere. Had nothing to do with success or failure of TOEE.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The point was Gayder didn't have a point. It was on not tables anywhere. Had nothing to do with success or failure of TOEE.
Retailers had already given up on it, but ToEE not really moving the needle is what he's saying convinced the Biodocs to tell their staff not to bother pitching any projects involving iso-only cameras.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Retailers had already given up on it, but ToEE not really moving the needle is what he's saying convinced the Biodocs to tell their staff not to bother pitching any projects involving iso-only cameras.
I know what he's saying, but he's talking out of his ass. TOEE came out in 2003, after NWN and the next Bioware game was KotOR.

Sawyer wrote "after BioWare announced Neverwinter Nights, retailers decided that 2D iso games were dead. Temple of Elemental Evil was the last for a long time."

Gayder replied "It's interesting you list ToEE, as - at BioWare, at least - that game's failure was really what caused the nail to be put into the proverbial coffin, as I recall. Suddenly, iso and turn-based both were simply... off the table"

Which is bullshit, because the upcoming games from Bioware were console titles. Turn based was never ever ever on the table in the mid 2000s for a mainstream IP, even if TOEE has been a massive sales success. Gayder is a fucking weirdo and a liar.

(TOEE was arguably a mainstream IP, but it was a turn-based mainstream IP)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Which is bullshit, because the upcoming games from Bioware were console titles. Turn based was never ever ever on the table in the mid 2000s for a mainstream IP, even if TOEE has been a massive sales success. Gayder is a fucking weirdo and a liar.

Dragon Age Origins had been in development since 2004 as a PC title (and became multiplatform in 2008). It had a third-person and pseudo-isometric camera. Any chance of DA:O only having the iso cam died with ToEE.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron

Dragon Age Origins had been in development since 2004 as a PC title (and became multiplatform in 2008). It had a third-person and pseudo-isometric camera. Any chance of DA:O only having the iso cam died with ToEE.
BG wasn't turn based, nor was any game Bioware made ever — before 2003 or after 2003.

Because Bioware didn't make turn based games so that was never on the table.

Gayder is a liar and a weirdo

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

BG wasn't turn based, nor was any game Bioware made ever — before 2003 or after 2003.

They made the turned based Sonic RPG in 2008 :M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Chronicles:_The_Dark_Brotherhood

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
maybe some were in favor of TB, but were always overruled?

turn based NWN :negative:
Yeah.
Ohlen and Ray Muzyka butted heads over combat in Baldur’s Gate. Muzyka loved the Gold Box games because they had been predicated on turn-based combat, just like Dungeons & Dragons tabletop games. Turn-based systems allowed players to think through their moves before taking action. Ohlen appreciated the classics, but insisted that turn-based play was outmoded. Real-time strategy titles such as WarCraft II and Diablo proved that the future of gaming lay in fast, think-on-your-feet tactics.

They reached a compromise. Baldur’s Gate would play out in real-time, but players could pause the action during fights to take stock of their situation and queue up orders for their party to carry out when the action resumed. "You got the finer control of turn-based, but at the same time, you got the kind of exciting action of a real-time [strategy game]," Ohlen said.

I have no problem with this, because I do not mind RTwP.

Bulo

Scholar
I don't hate RTwP, but it does strike me as merely a way to soften the blow of poor encounter design

Bulo

Scholar
I doubt Interplay would have received so much rat cave-related hate mail if Fallout had shipped with RTwP

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I doubt Interplay would have received so much rat cave-related hate mail if Fallout had shipped with RTwP
Classic case of gamers being their own worst enemy and optimizing the fun out. You can just leave while fighting two or three rats along the way but nooo

Beastro

Arcane

They made the turned based Sonic RPG in 2008 :M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Chronicles:_The_Dark_Brotherhood
I was flipping through this page like mad and read that link name without context.

Made me think for a sec that someone made a Sonic mod for Skyrim for a moment.

The idea of someone doing such a thing is so funny I'm not saddened that it's not that and is just a stupid Bioware game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The man who had terrible taste in cities

City I dislike: Las Vegas
City I think is overrated: Seattle
City I think is underrated: Chicago
City I like: London
City I love: Berlin
City I feel most myself in: Costa Mesa (lol/rip)
City I still need to visit: Florence
City I dream of living in: Berlin

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Sawyer is a massive Germophile ... Germanophile whatever.

Berlin makes sense. Degenerate, Americanized and Liberal.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Anyone here interested in RPG...Gaems???

In reality it was a little different.

origin_of_fampyr.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This is the key to understanding Josh Sawyer's design principles.

:littlemissfun:

Interesting.
So he deprives the character of his most crucial ability and makes him deal with challenges in other ways?...
This seems like a far cry from his Icewind Dale 2 days of throwing literal armies of goblinoids and orcs at the playet party.
Fun times, let me tell you.

I read that more as an "If I Were the Evil Overlord" joke, i.e. if Sawyer designed a death trap dungeon in the real world he would get rid of the nonsensical stuff we see in games. Games are not supposed to be totally realistic, they're supposed to be fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom