Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JE Sawyer releases personal Fallout: New Vegas mod

Baron

Arcane
I always loved this argument. I play piano and guitar so all your opinions on music are WRONG.
Well, if you're sitting there using your tallywhacker as a trombone slide as you fart out discordant melodies from your distended anus... then yes, I' d probably side with the classically trained guy.

thesoup

Arcane
What's "I never axed for this"?
I remember him talking about that, but I can't put my finger on it.

Monkeybiscuit

Novice
Oh who gives a fuck if he is "pretentious" or not. At least he is someone who has enough respect for gamers to actually talk about game design in interviews instead of just spouting inane buzzwords like so many others. And he seems to actually care about his game enough to keep patching/modding it. That has to deserve some respect.

The constant patching and modding that the game receives is not so much a testament to the dedication of Josh, but more indicative of what a horribly broken and unbalanced mess the game was released as.

Honestly FNV when it was released was like an ugly old woman who has had her face run over by a truck. The DLC and patches are akin to a facial reconstruction and some makeup applied by a blind chimpanzee. (and no I am not talking about graphics)

The constant patching and modding that the game receives is not so much a testament to the dedication of Josh, but more indicative of what a horribly broken and unbalanced mess the game was released as.

Not really. Josh said this mod is just some stuff he'd like to change. A quick look at the changelog shows it's not anything world-shattering, but "hey in hindsight I think it would be better if this gave you 3 points instead of 2" modifications.

Deleted member 7219

Fallout: New Vegas is the only game made in that engine in which I never encountered a bug. Found bugs galore in Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3. I'm fucking sick of people calling it 'broken'.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The only bug I encounted in NV at release was that I could reach some spots and the game would just quit to desktop. The only way to fix it, but it'd be more accurate to say I avoided it, was to load a save from 5 minutes earlier and the magical spot of crashing would disappear. Other than that, I may have encountered bugs I didn't noticed, like wrong value on equipment, but the whole experience was stable and enjoyable. My time with Oblivion was certainly more eventful.

joeydohn

Savant
Fallout: New Vegas is the only game made in that engine in which I never encountered a bug. Found bugs galore in Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3. I'm fucking sick of people calling it 'broken'.

Have you tried playing it completely unpatched? It was as bad as Fallout 3 and many things fixed in F3 weren't carried over to New Vegas.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Have you tried playing it completely unpatched? It was as bad as Fallout 3 and many things fixed in F3 weren't carried over to New Vegas.

I had no problems with the game completely unpatched. In my second playthrough with several patches I experienced loads of bugs more then in any other game in that engine. Still I managed to have far more fun then in F3 or Oblivion.

hrose

Educated
When this mod was released I worked a bit making my pick to pack other mods and get along with this one. The result was quite good. Let me go check.

I seem to use:
- Unified patch
- Primary Needs HUD
- DarnifiedUINV
- Wapons Mod Explanded
- Sawyer mod
- Two of Arwen mods: encumbrance and med-tec

These two I've modified in the script to make playable.

They added a lot of flavor: For example your need for water increases 50% if you are outside under the sun, but it grows less during the night or in interiors. It still increases while you're sleeping but with a -50%. If you are too tired you can't fast travel. But you also can't sleep if you're too hurt and bleeding. Fatigue also increases faster if you're running outside under the sun, and depends on how much you're carrying around.

But then you can also carry around empty bottles and refill them, so you always have an infinite "source" for both water and food, as long you're around a campfire or a water tank. On the other side the inventory space is realistic so you have to manage how much food and water you carry around.

If you drink too much surface water your bacteria level goes up and you end up going sick. This gets solved over time as the body metabolizes the problem. If you eat raw meat also bacteria increases, so better to cook it. If you eat when you don't need food, you get sick. The bigger you are (STR+END) the more you need to eat.

Wounds need treatment and heal over time. If serious they need antibiotics or they get infected. You have to bandage every time you're hurt, or you keep bleeding. Blood loss has certain other consequences and so on...

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
When this mod was released I worked a bit making my pick to pack other mods and get along with this one. The result was quite good. Let me go check.

I seem to use:
- Unified patch
- Primary Needs HUD
- DarnifiedUINV
- Wapons Mod Explanded
- Sawyer mod
- Two of Arwen mods: encumbrance and med-tec

These two I've modified in the script to make playable.

They added a lot of flavor: For example your need for water increases 50% if you are outside under the sun, but it grows less during the night or in interiors. It still increases while you're sleeping but with a -50%. If you are too tired you can't fast travel. But you also can't sleep if you're too hurt and bleeding. Fatigue also increases faster if you're running outside under the sun, and depends on how much you're carrying around.

But then you can also carry around empty bottles and refill them, so you always have an infinite "source" for both water and food, as long you're around a campfire or a water tank. On the other side the inventory space is realistic so you have to manage how much food and water you carry around.

If you drink too much surface water your bacteria level goes up and you end up going sick. This gets solved over time as the body metabolizes the problem. If you eat raw meat also bacteria increases, so better to cook it. If you eat when you don't need food, you get sick. The bigger you are (STR+END) the more you need to eat.

Wounds need treatment and heal over time. If serious they need antibiotics or they get infected. You have to bandage every time you're hurt, or you keep bleeding. Blood loss has certain other consequences and so on...

Does jsawyer work with the other realism tweaks? They look pretty interesting, but I probably should start a new game with just one or the other.

Modron

Arcane
NV was pretty bad in that regard, and I played it several months after release. Just generally a very unstable engine. It was still bullshit that teh gaeming press bitched about it in NV but neglected to mention similar problems with CTDs and memory problems in F3.

It is the age old story, obsidian should have spent more money on supplying the reviewers of bigger sites with vacations and whores like the other developers. Combine that with metacritic's weird review score algorithm and they could have got the royalties they deserved.

Hookers aside, FNV would've gotten a much better reception from reviewers if it didn't manage to look worse than its 2 year old predecessor.

landscapehighqb2.png

Fallout_New_Vegas_07large.jpg

fallout3_8.jpg
5294523528_3d80cdc9b8_b.jpg

Bethesda's kitty litter looks as good if not even better and fonv got bashed in great part for it. There was even one obsidian news piece where they explained that they realized the world environment looked kinda shitty but it was too late to fix it by then.

Stinger

Arcane
The DLC environments look far better than anything Bethesda came up with.

Interesting how once Obsidian got some experience with the engine they utterly surpass Bethesda at their own tech.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The DLC environments look far better than anything Bethesda came up with.

Interesting how once Obsidian got some experience with the engine they utterly surpass Bethesda at their own tech.

- This is actually a little surprising since while Bethesda can't write dialog or story worth shit, they can make fairly interesting worlds to explore. FF:NV was much more interesting to explore than F3. Maybe it's because it's Bethesda's first non-Elder Scrolls setting?

Deleted member 7219

Installing Fellout gets rid of the yellow tinge, making the game look much better.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
NV was pretty bad in that regard, and I played it several months after release. Just generally a very unstable engine. It was still bullshit that teh gaeming press bitched about it in NV but neglected to mention similar problems with CTDs and memory problems in F3.

It is the age old story, obsidian should have spent more money on supplying the reviewers of bigger sites with vacations and whores like the other developers. Combine that with metacritic's weird review score algorithm and they could have got the royalties they deserved.
Bethesda was in charge of the budget, it was in their best interest not to do that.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Except maybe Lonesome Roads creative use of enviroment, I don't see how any of the DLC areas looked good to be honest.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought Honest Hearts looked fantastic. Old World Blues, on the other hand, was fairly bland looking -- it had a few interesting parts here and there but it was mostly just... gray. Dead Money's fantastic atmosphere enhanced what would've probably otherwise been pretty boring environments.

Stinger

Arcane
The key phrase is "better than Bethesda's environments" not that it looked good.

But even still

Dead-Money-Enemies.jpg

Dead Money's environment conveys a far better and bleaker atmosphere than the Fallout 3 screens Crunchy Hemorrhoids posted.

Honest-Hearts.png

And Zion's scenery looks pretty fucking great for gamebryo. Neither Fallout 3 or Oblivion have done scenery that looks as pretty as the screenshot above.

Admittedly Old World Blues' environment isn't great but it's functional and has a neat SCIENCE! kinda feel to it that, again, Fallout 3 never got quite right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom