Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Japanese personal computer aesthetic is best aesthetic

frajaq

Erudite
wkLLfMu.png

yqSnhGG.png

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
He should center the camera in the new version or if he really wants some dramatic effect or whatever at least make it so there's more space the direction the character is facing.

Edge hugging is a serious sin when it comes to action game design and Rusty is, sadly, quite guilty.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Between this thread and the old/obscure/underrated JRPGs thread, I feel this stuff beats the pants of SNES, visually. More tasteful color palettes, more stylish, more interesting. Too many SNES developers thought they had to use every color the system offered, leading to many garish games. And the sprites were often blocky and toy-like compared to the PC 9800 games, the latter just look cooler to me.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The market for jap games is bigger than ever, it wouldn't surprise me if some creators decided to cash in some remastered version of their PC-98 games, we have straight eroge even on Steam these days.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Between this thread and the old/obscure/underrated JRPGs thread, I feel this stuff beats the pants of SNES, visually. More tasteful color palettes, more stylish, more interesting. Too many SNES developers thought they had to use every color the system offered, leading to many garish games. And the sprites were often blocky and toy-like compared to the PC 9800 games, the latter just look cooler to me.
In consoles defense, these topics are generally a bit cherrypicked, nobody's really about to showcase a random game with nothing special about it. Actually, wait a minute, I've played a few and I take screenshots, let's see if the distinguished members of the Codex feel if they're good or not:

AVvXsEgldKrmnL246D0j16v5q82bIH0DxgIMwQ_UuRXimMxnTNPlbHBIWJ5ncPATAduagZlDemhzOtF358pe4BBTs-roVBvLkAiR8Ehj8Q_8AyGt0ZKIyJREnYjNTH5P-Dd9OSZ9fcSqPBhZf9TH2W_9iEpo_x6tDba5ZCxs07FqDDHG3NoSKWT0f2gjoioh=s320

count3_18.bmp

AVvXsEjxM4thYyhsQLdF7TowEXrwimgmfjH2tJz_UGP25SXchcTP0_JI3qqr3LHrAHjam4EQGTpnkQgaFoPEys4ZMVcIe8tAMZvXFpsCFtV75afxLeBKGOweMVavwhK8T4oXGe08nGAQw2Cwqdk_JRamL7joaBjWPUybGiwSWT6OCB2HDzzvX28568xCD4yG=s320

AVvXsEgQPCd7B8ZrbSaRhoNOZKtwfTDnEbEiVTYu7TDbzFygT1MVwoy0qRVIl3Sd4sJGBX_SPZPzeQKk-dKagv8PLLgacdicIUwfqaeQtCLBPTsG8sUPkgIY5y9FUvuNekbHNxPzyvUxAd9JEeqtwAdjnF6lIcwoIVJhs-2XmZ3vhVcVbcBhWoCwoFqfEaz5=s320

wibarm_8.png
There's nothing NSFW about them, they're just not from the most obviously appealing titles, and I wouldn't want to spoil anyone's viewing experience.

Machocruz

Arcane
In consoles defense, these topics are generally a bit cherrypicked, nobody's really about to showcase a random game with nothing special about it. Actually, wait a minute, I've played a few and I take screenshots, let's see if the distinguished members of the Codex feel if they're good or not:

AVvXsEgldKrmnL246D0j16v5q82bIH0DxgIMwQ_UuRXimMxnTNPlbHBIWJ5ncPATAduagZlDemhzOtF358pe4BBTs-roVBvLkAiR8Ehj8Q_8AyGt0ZKIyJREnYjNTH5P-Dd9OSZ9fcSqPBhZf9TH2W_9iEpo_x6tDba5ZCxs07FqDDHG3NoSKWT0f2gjoioh=s320

count3_18.bmp

AVvXsEjxM4thYyhsQLdF7TowEXrwimgmfjH2tJz_UGP25SXchcTP0_JI3qqr3LHrAHjam4EQGTpnkQgaFoPEys4ZMVcIe8tAMZvXFpsCFtV75afxLeBKGOweMVavwhK8T4oXGe08nGAQw2Cwqdk_JRamL7joaBjWPUybGiwSWT6OCB2HDzzvX28568xCD4yG=s320

AVvXsEgQPCd7B8ZrbSaRhoNOZKtwfTDnEbEiVTYu7TDbzFygT1MVwoy0qRVIl3Sd4sJGBX_SPZPzeQKk-dKagv8PLLgacdicIUwfqaeQtCLBPTsG8sUPkgIY5y9FUvuNekbHNxPzyvUxAd9JEeqtwAdjnF6lIcwoIVJhs-2XmZ3vhVcVbcBhWoCwoFqfEaz5=s320

wibarm_8.png
There's nothing NSFW about them, they're just not from the most obviously appealing titles, and I wouldn't want to spoil anyone's viewing experience.
Yeah those are wack. I did really mean "this stuff" though, what's been shown. I'm sure the platform has a lot of dogs on it, like every other. I only bring up the SNES because in the other thread we progress to a block of games on that system, and it just gets less interesting. I could have just as easily mentioned PC Engine games instead, or Genesis if I saw any in that thread. Also SNES is the one with the reputation for the best 16-bit graphics*, the other reason I singled it out

*Technically maybe, but aesthetically I find a lot of the most lauded games to be eyesores in certain ways.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
"Aesthetics"?
It's just your stock standard anime garbage.

Anime is not an art form by the way.

E: Sorry I didn't realize this was the weebshit containment board. I'll have to disinfect myself now.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
"Aesthetics"?
It's just your stock standard anime garbage.

Anime is not an art form by the way.

E: Sorry I didn't realize this was the weebshit containment board. I'll have to disinfect myself now.
Bro I fucking hate pixel art and even I think everything in this thread is gorgeous. I don't know wtf is wrong with you.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Question that I think is semi-related to this thread - what are the best PC-Engine RPGs out there?

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Question that I think is semi-related to this thread - what are the best PC-Engine RPGs out there?
abnaxus has covered a few, you can read his thoughts in the obscure jrpg thread.

Pc -Engine = Console
This is true, but I'll just add the caveat that the PC Engine and Megadrive attracted many JPC focused devs (e.g. Tecnosoft, Telnet, Falcom offshoots like Ancient etc.). This was a broader trend in Japanese gaming (i.e. PC devs becoming console devs) similar to the one that happened in the West with the release of the Xbox, just it started earlier in Japan. For similar developer centric reasons as with the Xbox actually - for the Megadrive due to the CPU (shared with the X68K) and PCE due to NEC's business relationships.

I would even argue that a lot of early JPC design branches bore their best fruits on consoles. Think Herzog Zwei, the superior Megadrive exclusive (AFAIK) sequel to the JPC Herzog.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
This is true, but I'll just add the caveat that the PC Engine and Megadrive attracted many JPC focused devs (e.g. Tecnosoft, Telnet, Falcom offshoots like Ancient etc.).
To be fair, a lot of devs in Japan would release their computer games on consoles(Famicom, MS, Sufami, etc). The same also happened to early american devs, as we can find Apple ][, DOS and even Amiga games on retro video games. It's no wonder that for a while a lot of dev just went with console games instead of computer games[See Square, Enix, Konami, Capcom who all started releasing computer games].

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom