Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance: Drug Flashback

m_s0

Arcane
Woah, guys, easy there. Now you're getting overly positive. I backed this thing, so i'm the one who should be positively biased here. But let's keep some balance.
I'm not being overly positive, don't worry. I'm just stunned that this looks like Jagged Alliance. My non-existent expectations were unexpectedly exceeded. Whether it ends up being a good game that remains to be seen, but now it looks like there's a chance for that.

That's my main concern atm.
You shouldn't be concerned then. The game is going to be small, comparatively tiny even if you want to measure it by JA2 standards. There's just a few guys working on it, I'm guessing it's already a lot of workload as it is to crank out a game of this size in this timespan. If you want to be concerned about something than be concerned about the modding capabilities and the tools, because if they don't screw that up it really won't matter how small the game is going be at launch since the community is already there.

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Woah, guys, easy there. Now you're getting overly positive. I backed this thing, so i'm the one who should be positively biased here. But let's keep some balance.
I'm not being overly positive, don't worry. I'm just stunned that this looks like Jagged Alliance. My non-existent expectations were unexpectedly exceeded. Whether it ends up being a good game that remains to be seen, but now it looks like there's a chance for that.

That's my main concern atm.
You shouldn't be concerned then. The game is going to be small, comparatively tiny even if you want to measure it by JA2 standards. There's just a few guys working on it, I'm guessing it's already a lot of workload as it is to crank out a game of this size in this timespan. If you want to be concerned about something than be concerned about the modding capabilities and the tools, because if they don't screw that up it really won't matter how small the game is going be at launch since the community is already there.

well, the JA2 community is already there. I'd be tentative to say that most of them would actually migrate over to JAF. 1.13 wasn't made in a day, so if JAF doesn't bring at least something to the Party, the community might stick with Ja2 and 1.13.

the game's scales are too very small. it reminds me of the naked gun where they're exchaging fire from 3 metres distance. and the mercs are using m16's and AK's and missing horribly. That's killing muh immershun!

m_s0

Arcane
well, the JA2 community is already there. I'd be tentative to say that most of them would actually migrate over to JAF. 1.13 wasn't made in a day, so if JAF doesn't bring at least something to the Party, the community might stick with Ja2 and 1.13.
Yup, that's part of what I meant. Harebrained had to build a community (I have no idea how this turned out), FC has the interest and support of a community that's been around for years. That's a huge advantage they need to make use of. The problem is that $1500 (or whatever that monthly subscription is) for serious modding = screw up. Crappy tools and limited potential, regardless of price = screw up.

And speaking of tools, I wonder how that new editor for JA2 1.13 is going to compare to the JAF one.

Branm

Learned
Most people probably thought it would be cheap shovelware just using the brand name....if they had something like this during Kickstarter, they would probably get more than a million. I wonder if now they'll get a lot from late backers.
I hope so, I was getting laughed at for pitching in while the kickstarter was running so I'm happy to see my money is being well spent.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's out on Early Access! http://store.steampowered.com/app/256010/

“Early Access gives you the chance to actively support the development of Jagged Alliance: Flashback. You’ll receive immediate access to the game in it’s current state, and receive the full game upon release later this year.

Jagged Alliance: Flashback is an early state and will be so for some time. This means there are a lot of features and content that are planned, but not implemented yet. There will be bugs, placeholder graphics and other odd behaviour. The complete feature roadmap can be found on the community hub and on jaggedallianceflashback.com. Please note that thesefeatures are planned, and that plans are subject to change.

Next Upcoming features:
  • Advanced Combat (Weapon classes, Ammo types & reloading, Interrupts)
  • Explosions & Destructible Environment
  • Throwables & Grenades
  • Resource Management on Stragic Layer

We are working together with you and the rest of the community to make the best Jagged Alliance we have seen for years. If you want to help us further, please use the Feedback button directly from the game to report bugs or leave your impressions.
Also visit jaggedallianceflashback.com or the Steam community hub: here you can talk to the developers directly. Furthermore, get access to the editor with which you can create your own levels and mods!

Thanks to all that have supported us up until this point and to everyone who decides to show their support for Jagged Alliance: Flashback here on Steam Early Access.”
Available in the Early Access version
  • Includes the first sectors to explore and conquer, packed with enemies and quests
  • The core combat system makes use of cover, true line of sight calculations and different stances to provide a deep tactical experience for the player
  • Editor: build your own sectors and campaigns, mod the game and share through Steam Workshop right from the start! We take great care to make the game as moddable as possible, and are looking forward to all the cool things you and the community can come up with!

Whisky

bonescraper

I downloaded a 405.7kb update and i got a brand new build. What sorcery is this?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Aaaaargh, I want it to be good. I wonder if the mechanics and the combat will be on the level of Jagged Alliance 2...

curry

Arcane
Those grass and dirt textures are fucking ugly though. I don't think I could stare at that bright yellow and green shit for hours.

Direwolf

Arcane
Interface is a mess and I am not sold on the camera angle. Seem to be way to high, even at the lowest point. Not sure that I like the cover symbols a la XCOM
Gameplay seems to be there, but it is hard to tell because you don't get many options.
I can definitely say though, it is much better than I ever expected from them.

spectre

Arcane
So, I tried the version that's sitting around at the tpb online store to see if it's promising (spoiler alert: promising enough, but not 40$ promising)

Obviously, it's an alpha, so I have to take it with a grain of salt. Many features aren't there and there are quite a few bugs.

So, what's in? You can move around with one generic guy, hop behind cover (looks a lot like the new SEXCUM), shoot baddies with an AR15-like with an endless supply of ammo.
You can change your stance (can't say if it has any effect), aim your shots and fire in bursts. That's about it. Gaining exp is learn by doing, like in the originals, the list of stats and skills is different though.
Action points are there as well, all in all, it's very barebones, but looks ok.
There don't seem to be any interrupts or any advanced combat features just yet.

Inventory management is still WIP.

Apart from that, you can go around the map, fight some more baddies and do basic quests on a small, 5 (go somewhere kill some baddies, talk to an NPC, free someone).
Branching dialogues are supported, but so far the writing quality is underwhelming. I'm making allowances for the rough alpha version here, but to be honest, it looks bland with a touch of try-too-hard.
I've yet to be convinced that Full Control has can do better than this, but hey.

The graphics are functional, but have a very distinct cartoony flavor (it shows especially in the terrain and foliage - I said it before, and it seems that not much has changed, the ground texture reminds me of Diablo 3 for some odd reason.
Looks a bit out of place. Most of the animals look pretty comedic as well). The urban environments look pretty good though.

Interface is not that great, basically hold RMB and choose the option you want.

Overall, I think the game has potential, but I won't kid myself that it'll manage to pull off that classy B-movie vibe JA2 got going, but at least it should be pretty faithful to the original as regards the mechanics.

So, that's the basic impressions after 30 minutes of play (not that there's a lot to do in the game, there's 6 sectors total, with two actually having any npcs).

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Early Access Update:

‘Jagged Alliance: Flashback’ Expands, Bringing More Features and Content to the Island of San Hermanos

Full Control announced today that the next installment in the classic turn-based strategy franchise, Jagged Alliance: Flashback, has received a major content update with lots of new features, items and sectors.

For the first big update the focus has been on improving the combat experience, by adding more weapons and ammo types, allowing more tactical options and making it possible to reload guns. Throwables and a destructible environment have also been some of the first features to go in, while the whole northern part of the island has been opened up, significantly increasing the area for players to explore.

Jagged Alliance: Flashback update features:

• Advanced Combat (SMGs and Handguns added, Ammo types & Reloading)
• Female Mercenaries & Mercenary Variations
• Grenades & Destructible Environment
• Day/Night Cycle, Weather System
• Northern Island unlocked - 22 New Sectors

Currently available on Steam Early Access, Jagged Alliance: Flashback is a unique mix of deep turn-based tactics, role-playing and squad management, The game plays out on the fictional Caribbean Island of San Hermanos in the late 1980’s, when an elected president - “The Prince” - uses his military forces to halt a rebellious group attempting to overthrow his regime. Powerless against his organised military forces, the leader of the rebellion is arrested and the insurgents quickly dissolve. Arriving on San Hermanos, the player’s first mission is to help the rebel leader escape from prison, before things take a turn for the worse.

To show off the new features the team has created a humorous trailer to give users a quick overview of the update.

To support modding Full Control and Logitech have teamed up for a community contest, where users can win Logitech gear and get to make items and a sector for the actual game. The competition has just been prolonged and is now set to end on July 13th, more info can be found here:

JAF Modding & Community Competition

Jagged Alliance: Flashback is available for $44.99/€39.99 now through Steam Early Access: http://store.steampowered.com/app/256010

For more information on the game, please see: http://www.jaggedallianceflashback.com

Whisky

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I don't really think having a 81% discount so early on the development is a good thing

belated

Augur
Back to 15% here as well. Almost regret not getting it, but not so much. Low expectatioms and all.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't really think having a 81% discount so early on the development is a good thing

Like the 'tron said, it's probs a bug. It switched between -66% and -81% all day yesterday, and only for the Deluxe (which meant the Deluxe was significantly cheaper).

Astral Rag

Arcane
Jagged Alliance: Flashback Tactical Overload Update:

JAF_Assets_Steam_IM_Update2.png

Once again Jagged Alliance: Flashback continues to expand and we have added a lot of new features for you to enjoy. Step up to your enemies and hit them right in the kisser, which is now possible through the implementation of melee combat! Not brave enough to face him head on? No problem! Sneak up on him and take him down in silence, thanks to the new stealth system.

We have also updated the inventory system and implemented a complete UI overhaul. Enjoy the game with a more detailed overview and a new way to quickly access your most important items. Switching weapons and tossing grenades has never been easier!

But it doesn’t end there! We have also added view cones and an interrupt system to this update, allowing you to make a lot more tactical decisions on the battlefield.

Join the rush on San Hermanos and enjoy a tropical island Jagged Alliance-style!

The new update includes:
16 New Sectors
13 New Mercenaries
Melee Combat
Stealth System
Updated Inventory System with Quickslots
Interrupts
Viewcones
In-game UI Overhaul

http://steamcommunity.com/games/256010/announcements/detail/251395633849892273

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom