Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance 3 Released

Ryzer

Arcane
Didn't Jagged alliance 1 and 2 fix that problem by allowing broken weapons drop?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've never said anything about 20 new guns, or that the game should shower you with shit to make it easy. I just think that finding a couple of bullets or scrap parts would be a welcome nod in that direction.
Also what the hell do you mean by "haul back to store"? You can't sell guns in the game, just break them down for scrap. Did you even play it?
You do find more than a couple bullets and scrap parts every sector, so if that's what you wanted, guess what, you already got exactly what you wanted. "Did you even play it"?

Warehouse management and constant runs to the strip mall were central to the economy of JA2, which I assumed was your reference point. If not, what games are you thinking of that did it better?

Ryzer

Arcane
I've never said anything about 20 new guns, or that the game should shower you with shit to make it easy. I just think that finding a couple of bullets or scrap parts would be a welcome nod in that direction.
Also what the hell do you mean by "haul back to store"? You can't sell guns in the game, just break them down for scrap. Did you even play it?
You do find more than a couple bullets and scrap parts every sector, so if that's what you wanted, guess what, you already got exactly what you wanted. "Did you even play it"?

Warehouse management and constant runs to the strip mall were central to the economy of JA2, which I assumed was your reference point. If not, what games are you thinking of that did it better?
JA2 allowed weapons drop if you picked the options in the menu. The drawback is that all weapons dropped are somewhat broken and need to be repaired.

It's cut in JA3.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher

Guess what, I'm NOT finding "more than a couple bullets and scrap parts". Encounters with the enemy squads which attack you do not yield shit most of the time, might as well be fighting wild animals. After the initial exploration of a sector is done, you're barely getting anything.

I haven't thought about any particular game, I just think defeating an enemy squad should give you more than one knife. Maybe the RNG is just royally messing with me, but I pretty much have to stick to single shots to the head to avoid running out of bullets most of the time.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
thats what f4 had right. When you keep fighting human enemies, you keep on stocking on ammo. Mix too many animals in between and you run out.
Human enemies would drop plenty of guns that you wont care about. However each of them might have interesting mod in which case you would keep it for scraps.

Not a fan of bullet economy in gayms in general. Metro was interesting since ammo was scare and you were basically shooting money. Imagine fallout gamez where it was bullets, not bottlecaps.
Tactical gamez however could likely do without, although there is a case to be made about firing minigun every round. Not that it affects me anyway, I tend to favor builds that conserve resources

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guess what, I'm NOT finding "more than a couple bullets and scrap parts". Encounters with the enemy squads which attack you do not yield shit most of the time, might as well be fighting wild animals. After the initial exploration of a sector is done, you're barely getting anything.
I haven't thought about any particular game, I just think defeating an enemy squad should give you more than one knife. Maybe the RNG is just royally messing with me, but I pretty much have to stick to single shots to the head to avoid running out of bullets most of the time.
Fair enough. I'm curious, are all your mercs using the same gun? Because if you do that yeah you're gonna have a bad time.

Zombra

Patron
Not a fan of bullet economy in gayms in general.
To be honest, I agree. It usually takes away way more fun than it adds.

I frankly loved how in XCOM reloading was a substantial part of the action economy, but your high tech base was assumed to manufacture enough ammo that your units could bring a few clips to every engagement and you didn't have to worry about it.

I get what they are trying to do here though with mercs scraping by and having to manage supplies in the field, and it does feel appropriate in keeping with the series so I'll allow it :) But I wouldn't miss it at all if it was gone.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Original UFO, you had to get enough ammo into storage, and you also had to manufacture ammo for experimental weapons. I kinda liked the detail where you can screw yourself a lot when you don't prepare your squad before deployment. I also liked when you could get free mission when you found all aliens dead on arrival.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Fair enough. I'm curious, are all your mercs using the same gun? Because if you do that yeah you're gonna have a bad time.
No, I try to make sure that no more than 2 guys use the same ammo type in each squad and I stay away from machineguns. That's why I'm not too happy with the loot system. Maybe it's bad luck or it will change later in the game, but I feel like the encounters should give you enough to get by, provided you're not wasteful or too reliant on single ammo type.

I genuinely think they have a very solid foundation here.
Opinions on the flavor/mood aside, this has the potential to get to the point where it's just as good as its predecessor.

The engine is nice, environmental destruction is even great at time (it's almost surprising how little they boasted about it in the promotional material, given that it reaches almost Silent Storm levels of flexibility), visuals aren't too shabby, animations decent, controls do their job just fine (but they need to give better control on setting up a "first engagement" with the enemy).
But the developers need to acknowledge some shortcomings and address them, to improve over what's already there with some meaningful post-release support.

Random advices I would give, going by the current impressions:

• - Rework the inventory since it's trash. In usability AND readability.
  • - Rebalance weapons and equipment in general. Make sniper rifles at very least less effective on short range (it's all kinds of dumb that even at point blank range they are more effective and reliable than a shotgun to do an instant kill), get rid of the dumb "halved damage" per bullet on burst and full-auto to make automatic weapons (assault rifles and SMG) more appealing (right now they are inaccurate AND incapable to deliver consistent damage even at short range), Make shotgun less of a lottery at point-blank and make their "cone of fire" preview RELIABLE,, etc.
  • - I'm not done with the first campaign yet, but I'm already spotting cases of enemies tending toward bullet-sponges. Don't do this. Keep enemies' HP capped below human levels (I'd say 99 at most, like for the player's mercenaries) and if anything make them stronger through better equipment when necessary.
  • - I'm not really understanding the necessity of having this weird and contrived "stealth kill hidden value" as a separate sub-system. Just give stealth attacks a bonus in damage/defense penetration without making it a "chance to insta-kill no matter the damage".
  • - add an active pause when in real-time and/or the option to force turn-based mode at any given time. Possibly both.
  • - some more variety, maybe? Then again I'm not sure what I'm still missing at the point I'm currently am. Maybe there are a lot of environments and enemy types I've yet to see. What's already there is nice enough, anyway, with few dumb exceptions.

laclongquan

Arcane
thats what f4 had right. When you keep fighting human enemies, you keep on stocking on ammo. Mix too many animals in between and you run out.
Human enemies would drop plenty of guns that you wont care about. However each of them might have interesting mod in which case you would keep it for scraps.

Not a fan of bullet economy in gayms in general. Metro was interesting since ammo was scare and you were basically shooting money. Imagine fallout gamez where it was bullets, not bottlecaps.
Tactical gamez however could likely do without, although there is a case to be made about firing minigun every round. Not that it affects me anyway, I tend to favor builds that conserve resources
That's Dust total conversion mod in FNV is all about~ You actually have to use melee/unarmed weapons to save bullets.
Of course, that's still not working when gamers figure out human spawn location to farm bullets.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'm positively surprised by the combat mechanics.The sound of the machine gun is very satisfying. Stealth is OP so far, I can solo most of the encounters so far (first 2 towns after the intro) with dragunov and a suppressor.
I like how the guns work in general. They all seem to have their place in the game and don't feel like they were gimped on purpose, except for maybe assault rifles that aren't all that interesting for anything. Shotguns and machine guns are absolutely ridiculous.

Cadmus

Arcane
guys this is looking really insteresting!!!
Whats the consensus now?
Think im gonna get it!

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Whats the consensus now?
Think im gonna get it!

it's not JA 2 but it's really good imho. I don't think you can do wrong if you like these kinds of games, consider playing on hard (or hardest) if your are experienced it's very easy on normal regardless of the complaints on other forums.

Yannos

Educated
Whats the consensus now?
Think im gonna get it!
I'm having a blast! I have some minor gripes with it but overall it's a worthy successor. Also, it seems to be pretty moddable so some complaints like the drop-rates or not being able to see the Hit-chance are already things that can be solved with mods. That chance-to-hit mod is even an official mod by the devs themselves.

You can always try it out and refund it within 2 hours if you get it on Steam anyway so you got nothing to lose.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Whats the consensus now?
Think im gonna get it!
I'm having a blast! I have some minor gripes with it but overall it's a worthy successor. Also, it seems to be pretty moddable so some complaints like the drop-rates or not being able to see the Hit-chance are already things that can be solved with mods. That chance-to-hit mod is even an official mod by the devs themselves.

You can always try it out and refund it within 2 hours if you get it on Steam anyway so you got nothing to lose.
I fail to see how the 2 hours timeframe of steam is adequate though, GoG has 30 days...

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Just use of the drop % mods.

redsky

Novice
Whats the consensus now?
Think im gonna get it!
Best game in 2023? After few updates it would be really good. Also, i expect big mod support, so i can see me playin this game for loong time. Few years for sure.

Ladonna

Arcane
Seeing a lot of people comparing it to JA2, but I am not mad enough to expect that.

So how does it compare to Silent Storm?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom