Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

3 others

Scholar
Btw how the fuck do melee attacks of opportunity work? If there's a melee dude next to my merc and I try to attack him with a ranged weapon, I get stabbed first. If my dude is next to an enemy, they shoot me and I get no AoO. What gives? Is melee AoO a trait?
I never fiddled with these advanced interactions so how did it go exactly? There's the "Hand-to-hand" built-in trait that some characters (Scully at least) have that explicitly mentions a melee interrupt attack. Then there are 2 selectable upgrade perks (Reactive Fire & Revenge) that deal with interrupt attacks, but are those only for firearms?

As great a game JA3 is, there are quite a bit of confusing or completely undocumented features in it - just try to figure out what exactly a "Stealth" attack on an "Aware" enemy affects without checking a 3rd party Steam guide.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Btw how the fuck do melee attacks of opportunity work? If there's a melee dude next to my merc and I try to attack him with a ranged weapon, I get stabbed first. If my dude is next to an enemy, they shoot me and I get no AoO. What gives? Is melee AoO a trait?
I never fiddled with these advanced interactions so how did it go exactly? There's the "Hand-to-hand" built-in trait that some characters (Scully at least) have that explicitly mentions a melee interrupt attack. Then there are 2 selectable upgrade perks (Reactive Fire & Revenge) that deal with interrupt attacks, but are those only for firearms?
You just described exactly how it works. Some specific abilities give you interrupt attacks, and they are explained right there. That's it.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jeskis pm_675

What difficulty did you play on, tough guys? Did you have saves enabled?
Default one. One autosave (don’t remember the name of the mode) and permadeath for party members (although I cheese it at times by reloading a savegame when I see things go grim). That said, I’ve restarted my playthrough recently since I didn’t know all the mechanics and fucked up the strategic layer a bit so that I had to spend shittons of time fixing things up. Other than that I‘m enjoying time management and strict rules the game imposes on you, that’s the fun goddamit.

Humanophage

Arcane
Jeskis pm_675

Is it considered inappropriate to have saves? Is non-Iron Man considered bad taste? It's annoying to play without saves if you don't know the mechanics as it is not exactly very intuitive, and all it does is reward real-life concentration (especially in the first several minutes you turn on the game each day when you're more error-prone). On the other hand, it's already too easy (you just snipe everyone) and all difficulty comes from the imperfect interface (like misclicking during stealth).

I'm playing on the highest difficulty with death at 0 HP enabled but it's my first time.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Jeskis pm_675

Is it considered inappropriate to have saves? Is non-Iron Man considered bad taste? It's annoying to play without saves if you don't know the mechanics as it is not exactly very intuitive, and all it does is reward real-life concentration (especially in the first several minutes you turn on the game each day when you're more error-prone). On the other hand, it's already too easy (you just snipe everyone) and all difficulty comes from the imperfect interface (like misclicking during stealth).

I'm playing on the highest difficulty with death at 0 HP enabled but it's my first time.

This game will be wayyyyy too easy if you don't play Iron Man (true Iron Man, not the one where you can just reload the beginning of the last battle). Choose the “dead is dead” setting. That's iron man essentially, saving after every turn in combat and pretty much after most actions you do or changing scenes etc.

Then the setting right below called “to the bitter end” states that “saving the game during combat is forbidden”.

Now if you turn on both, you essentially have a game that auto-saves but not during combat, so you can always go back to your most recent save game which is the start of combat. Effectively making the game not a true iron man game.

So when you start a new game, you have to pick “dead is dead” and DO NOT pick “till the bitter end”. The “till the bitter end” option would be best suited for non-ironman players who still want the additional challenge of not being able to save manually during combat.

Sentinel

Arcane
Anyone know if the breach & clear perk is bugged? I can't get it to trigger.

U10pQ2.jpg

Humanophage

Arcane
Jeskis pm_675

This game will be wayyyyy too easy if you don't play Iron Man (true Iron Man, not the one where you can just reload the beginning of the last battle). Choose the “dead is dead” setting. That's iron man essentially, saving after every turn in combat and pretty much after most actions you do or changing scenes etc.

Then the setting right below called “to the bitter end” states that “saving the game during combat is forbidden”.

Now if you turn on both, you essentially have a game that auto-saves but not during combat, so you can always go back to your most recent save game which is the start of combat. Effectively making the game not a true iron man game.

So when you start a new game, you have to pick “dead is dead” and DO NOT pick “till the bitter end”. The “till the bitter end” option would be best suited for non-ironman players who still want the additional challenge of not being able to save manually during combat.
I restarted with these settings, and it is indeed much better this way. It's especially good for the first playthrough as the AI's ambush attempts and the plot twists are more effective this way. Although there are a few silly things like the poachers inexplicably getting angry at me, invalidating a major quest to get a free NPC.

I am rather enjoying the writing and the setting is fresh enough.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone know if the breach & clear perk is bugged? I can't get it to trigger.

U10pQ2.jpg
I recall this perk working during my playthrough, and I can't find any indication on the Steam discussions forum that a bug exists. Perhaps this became bugged in the latest patch/hotfix. :M
Maybe check that none of the equipment you're using is Cumbersome, which removes all movement points. Like Zed, I used this perk and it worked fine, although it's possible that a recent patch might have broken it.

I restarted with these settings, and it is indeed much better this way. It's especially good for the first playthrough as the AI's ambush attempts and the plot twists are more effective this way. Although there are a few silly things like the poachers inexplicably getting angry at me, invalidating a major quest to get a free NPC.

I would never recommend the iron man setting in any game, for the simple reason that bugs happen (and sometimes, constant autosaving impacts performance). If you really want to play ironman, just don't reload.

As for the difficulty in general, it gets easy fairly early on and stays that way for a good while, certain setpieces and special maps notwithstanding. The difficulty does ramp up later on, however, and the endgame can be properly challenging.

Humanophage

Arcane

I would never recommend the iron man setting in any game, for the simple reason that bugs happen (and sometimes, constant autosaving impacts performance). If you really want to play ironman, just don't reload.

As for the difficulty in general, it gets easy fairly early on and stays that way for a good while, certain setpieces and special maps notwithstanding. The difficulty does ramp up later on, however, and the endgame can be properly challenging.
Well, I'm not sure about that. For example, I came back from dinner IRL and decided to play. Went into a random dungeon. Didn't know the mechanic and stats for crocodiles and I didn't notice that their retaliation range is actually 2 tiles rather than 1 as for all other characters. One half-dead crocodile approached my squad and stood nearby. I shot at him from across a tile with Kalyna, and it critted her with retaliation, nearly killing her and sending Buns into flight. But I didn't notice that Kalyna was across two tiles and just thought it was a graphical artifact. Then it turns out the red outline isn't the actual range and I was supposed to guess that the crocodile hits from afar. So my Barry who stood 2 tiles away diagonally and was not covered by the red outline threw a molotov. Turns out he was also subject to crocodile retaliation. As Kalyna, he got a crit and nearly died. The molotov also alerted a nearby shooter who shot at Kalyna from across a dark cave in his alertness animation, and killed her. All right, I thought, shit happens. So I tried to move Barry away, and he got another crit from the crocodile that killed him. So all the weeks of training and planning are now lost, and the whole plan for the game is ruined.

But you must trudge on. In reality, you have some replacement characters for that. Sure, it was a bother to make a strong character out of Kalyna with her low wisdom and I was looking forward to use her special ability with hollow point bullets. And I also made Barry the mechanic because Livewire is OP, which took a while, and Barry is quite a key character. Anyway, I got annoyed and alt-F4'd the game on Barry's death. Then I reopened it and it turned out it didn't save all that damage. I played with the croc's range in mind and easily beat that fight. Then I thought that this is cheating and it defeats the whole point of the game. So I wanted to load the battle and have Kalyna and Barry die as they should. But it turns out it already saved the victorious battle.

So ordinarily with strategies, I would consider this game lost due to cheating and start a new one from scratch. But the issue is that it's too much of a traditional RPG to restart. You'll have to do the same dialogues, the same filler fights, and so on all over again. That isn't fun at all.

I concluded that instead of simply dropping the game for good, I will fire Kalyna and Barry or maybe kill them to burn the bridge.

Conversely, if you had the actual saves even to compensate for bugs, you'd be constantly tempted to use saves. "Oh I didn't know the interface meant that", "oh it was a bug that the poachers aggro'd", "oh I didn't know the abstract representation of grenades is like that", etc.

(That said, the inability of the game to communicate what it means is a somewhat annoying source of difficulty.)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
After an iron man run, I recommend the following mods, all working with the new patch:

Mariolofs Tactical Enemy (version with changed loot), Tactical AI and The Grand Chien Nigthmare for better enemies and AI.

My boy rato's Game Balance Overhaul for a totally different gaming.

And Tons of Guns for flavor.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Another aspect that adds to the tension :)
It's a test of your ability to build a both a functional party and a functional PC. :obviously:

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
True iron man is great… when you know all the mechanics thoroughly AND familiar with the game specific glitches and bugs. For the first playthrough and for anybody who’s not very well versed in the genre single save setting is optimal.

Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Another suggestion is to not take Livewire, her Talent is massive OP. With intel, you can know where every enemy is, making the game less fun, imo.

Humanophage

Arcane
After an iron man run, I recommend the following mods, all working with the new patch:

Mariolofs Tactical Enemy (version with changed loot), Tactical AI and The Grand Chien Nigthmare for better enemies and AI.

My boy rato's Game Balance Overhaul for a totally different gaming.

And Tons of Guns for flavor.
In retrospect, I forgot that metaviron was a thing. Would have saved both mercs. Oh well.

Humanophage

Arcane
Another suggestion is to not take Livewire, her Talent is massive OP. With intel, you can know where every enemy is, making the game less fun, imo.
I would also say Ivan is too OP. I am deliberately not taking Ivan, Livewire, and Fox. In fact, the whole reason I trained Barry in mechanics was not to have Livewire. I agree that she is also annoying, but actually a rather realistic character that way. It's definitely a type that exists and it's amusing how they nailed this image. Although it wasn't nearly as pronounced in 2001.

But also, training is so fast that uniques, talents, and perhaps wisdom are the only things that really differentiate between mercs. The most clumsy mercs can quite easily get to 90 Agi/Dex, for example.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just bought. Does game benefit from being on SSD or should I just put it on my massive HDD?
Hmm, well every time you change to a new sector map the game has to load it. I'd try the HDD first and then keep an eye on whether the load times are annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom