Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire Preview

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Well for you Xbox people, I just ran across a preview of the game that I spotted at Evil Avatar. There are a number of interesting tidbits from the preview.

First it sounds like the game is pretty much complete; all they are doing now is tweaking and fixing bugs. Second, it seems that the game is going to have a alignment system ala KOTOR. Third, the game has some sort of an influence type system similar to KOTORII. What I think is interesting about the alignment system and the NPC interaction is you have the ability to defend your decsions; it sounds like the alignment points won't be cut and dry instead they will depend on your outlook.
Also interesting for KOTOR fans who were sometimes confused as to why they earned Light or Dark points in a given situation is the occasional chance to defend your actions to your follower, and justify why what you did was philosophically correct.

For some reason though, the preview gives me the impression that the game is just KOTOR in a different setting. :(

P.S. Oh, and I forgot to mention one of the more bizarre aspects of the game: subtitles are required because the game uses a fictional language!
Mind you, some of that dialogue will have to be subtitled, due to the game's frequent usage of a fictional language created by Asian linguists.

protobob

Liturgist
I saw a demo movie of this game, it looked fun, once you make peace with the fact that the combat is pretty much pure action (personally I'd rather have turn based or pure action over phase based, so this is fine with me). The one thing that bothered me though is that all these asian characters have american accents.

My opinion why they want to do fictional language:

1. Translating and recording chinese language is too much work.
2. They can do fictional language same as alien languages in KOTOR. No need to translate the text, just have their english script with looped jibber-jabber over it to give it that exotic feel.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"For some reason though, the preview gives me the impression that the game is just KOTOR in a different setting. "

Um. No. For multiple reasons.

1. The combat is action based. Think Bl where while character stats are important; player ability to smash the buttons will be important. My biggest worry about the game, in fact.

2. They have three 3 stats that effect dialogue.

3. They were gonna used the KOTOR engine but decided against it because supposedly it couldn't handle what they wanted to do.

4. JE blows KOTOR's graphics away.

5. It seems BIO wants to do a sequel to JE, and there is an actual chance it'll be ported to PC. Unlike KOTOR though; it'd be an actual port sinc eit was originally made with x-box in mind.

That said, it'll have things in common with other BIO games including KOTOR. I don't know why you'd be shock about that; though. Afterall, why would they stop doing things that ahve worked for them in the past.

Nother tidbit, is that all the npcs that cna join you will have multiple endings as well as the overlal multiple endings.

When I think JE; I think BL. It seems to be the game it'll have more in common with. I just hope the combat is better.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/981 ... erview/p1/

Since, Jade Empire seems to be the spam of the day around the 'ent; here's an interesting interview. The first question tells a lot about the actual role-playing stuff. Also check out, the questions about inventory 9which i find weird how they're doing it) and one on your adventuring companions which will probably make anti NWNers cry.

R00fles!

Old Scratch

Liturgist
I have an Xbox and may eventually check it out. I'm like protobob in that I prefer either turn-based or straight action to pseudo-real-time for combat, so that's a step in the right direction.

I remember on the Jade Empire forums there were a few polls where people--myself included--wanted the characters to speak Chinese rather than English. Looks like BioWare thought that was a good idea, at least to a degree. I just hope they don't pull that annoying looping stuff like they did with the alien's dialogue in KOTOR.

MarFish

Liturgist
Otaku_Hanzo said:
They actually hired linguistics experts to make an entire language for the game that was asian sounding. I'm pretty sure there won't be looping stuff.

I would be surprised if they didn't loop.

a) Training a dozend (or more) professional voice actors to speek a newly created language doesn't sound like something for a computer game budget, not even from BioWare. They might have deep pockets, but I doubt they can afford what Peter Jackson did with LotR.

b) It wouldn't really offer any benefit. Most people play a game once or twice, not more, so creating a new language that actually makes sense and that you can learn and speak is throwing pearls to the pigs. BioWare doesn't look like a studio that would waste budget on something that pleased the 1% hardcore fans who would learn and speak the language.

I think, looping or not, it's still a good idea as it can add flavor and atmosphere to the game, so I'll be happy if they have enough line variation that you don't recognize that stuff is looping unless you watch for it.

About one henchman and NWN - from watching the videos I think it's a good idea - it's real time button mashing - not something you can compare to BG style party control. I think the Gamespy article mentioned that you can tell your henchman to not engage combat.

About graphics - they'll probably blow KotOR and KotOR II into space. At least if the game runs at stable 30 fps as they suggest and the screenshots on the website are not doctored.

Spazmo

Erudite
I'd be more annoyed if all the non-English spoken dialog would be thirty seconds of recorded lines for two words like KOTOR's aliens.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
MarFish said:
a) Training a dozend (or more) professional voice actors to speek a newly created language doesn't sound like something for a computer game budget, not even from BioWare. They might have deep pockets, but I doubt they can afford what Peter Jackson did with LotR.

b) It wouldn't really offer any benefit. Most people play a game once or twice, not more, so creating a new language that actually makes sense and that you can learn and speak is throwing pearls to the pigs. BioWare doesn't look like a studio that would waste budget on something that pleased the 1% hardcore fans who would learn and speak the language.

I disagree. I can see Bioware totally doing something like this. They do have the cash for this kind of thing, and if you don't think so, then you're only kidding yourself. They have the money to pull this off and I wouldn't be surprised if they did it.

Most people play a game once or twice simply because there's no replay value or it has limited replay value. Who's to say Jade Empire won't have replay value out the yin yang?
Maybe Bioware is banking on that fact. You never know. I'm not saying they are going to pull it off. I'm merely pointing out that they can.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/jade-empir ... ?fromint=1

Another interesting interview.

The first question is telling in regards to how much of a RPG JE is. I mean how many pure action games have over 320k spoken words by npcs which, of course, doesn't count the PC at all.

There's also a question dealing with the new language. Otaku "He Who Ignores Volourn" Hanzo may be right.

Also read the questions about npcs and endings.

WOWSERS!

Damn X-box! I hope this comes to PC!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom