Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jack Move - Dystopian Corporate Cyberspace Turn-Based JRPG

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://www.soromantic.co.uk/

ss-efdaf3e687af1e8aad7f55c7d5158dad3302a5b3.jpg

ss-4abbeaf9bf6df89bf7515ad35e3f06e2eaf74942.jpg

ss-1e8ee61b41ccc425807b8360925cf952b35bc2b0.jpg

ABOUT THIS GAME
jackmovegif.gif

Jack Move is a JRPG that features a unique blend of gritty cyberpunk storytelling, turn-based battles, and beautiful modern pixel art. Coming to Steam in 2022.

title_story.png

Take on the role of Noa: A young vigilante hacker from Bright Town. As the overreaching mega-corporation, Monomind, kidnaps her estranged father, Noa has no choice but to get him back, before it's too late. Help her find her dad, as she finds herself on the way.

Noa won't be alone on her journey. She'll be helped out by her best friend and tactical planner, Ryder, as well as her Martini drinking uncle and ex-corporate spy, Guin Blakely.

title_cyberspace_battles.png

Jack Move features beautifully animated, exciting, and tactical turn-based battles.

Customize the software of your Cyber Deck to switch roles mid-battle, balancing offense, defense, and buffs. Choosing which software you load during battle is the key to victory! Hardware upgrades can help boost your stats, increase the amount of software you can install or give Noa extra abilities.

title_features.png

• Gorgeous “Hi-Bit” pixel art inspired by retro RPGs and enhanced with modern techniques.
  • Battle your foes in cyberspace. Take them down using a multitude of sweet hacking software.
  • Explore the dangerous world of Monocity-1 and takedown Monomind, the evil mega-corporation that controls it.
  • Play as Noa Solares, a sassy hacker out to save her father and the world.
  • Fight your way through a bunch of dungeons filled with all sorts of cyberpunk villany. Street punks, gangsters, corporate militia, secret service agents, and horrific cyber-experiments-gone-wrong will all be battling against you!

lightbane

Arcane
Tried this one. Too slow for my liking, and I didn't like the writing. You can't make cyberpunk a funny cartoon easily, and this one doesn't fit the bill.
I suspect it uses RPGMaker, but I am not sure.
It also doesn't make sense to cause physical effects with hacking, unless all enemies are cyborgs or the MC is somehow hacking reality.

grimace

Arcane
So Romantic is a micro-studio that makes games and helps other people to make their games! It is run by Edd, a developer, designer and artist. He lives in sunny Taipei, Taiwan and has been making games since 2012. He loves the games scene and before moving to Taipei he used to help run Brighton Indies a meetup for local game developers in Brighton, UK, and Games by the Sea a rad yearly party during the Develop conference.

Thanks Edd!

Jack Move is a cyberpunk themed Japanese style RPG. Jack Move is set in a “VHS-era” cyberpunk city filled with high-tech and low-life. Inspired by the novels of William Gibson, 80’s computer interfaces and films such as Strange Days, Akira & Bladerunner. The game features beautiful modern pixel art, a unique turn based battle system and an 8 to 10 hour campaign. Players take on the role of Noa, a vigilante hacker who is thrust into a world of murder, kidnapping and dark research after her father goes missing.

08_2020-02-22_battle_vertex_mess_with_the_best.gif

unique turn based battle system

I'll try the free demo on Steam tonight.

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
I finished this recently, after 6 hours of playtime according to the game clock. I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to cyberpunk RPGs since I like the genre a lot, but I have mixed feelings about this one. Some observations:

- Plot and atmosphere follow basic cyberpunk tropes. The characters weren’t very complex, although some of the interactions made me chuckle

- No real character customization. You get pre-defined attribute increases when leveling up and you don’t equip any items per se, just “hardware” which increases your stats or gives you buffs in combat

- Combat is turn-based with an initiative/speed system. You can attack, use “software” (magic), “execute” single-use items, “cache” (defend) which also helps your initiative order, or use “jack move” limit breaks which (trigger warning) involve extremely easy QTEs to maximize your damage. The software and jack moves are all designed to be strong against certain types of enemies (flesh, electric, or cyber), and they level up FF7-style with use. There are also various buff and debuffs you can apply. It wasn’t always obvious which enemies are weak to which attack type just based on their name or appearance, which in theory means you would determine this yourself by watching your damage output although this was rarely necessary (see below). It was fun to think about how one could actually be using software to harm enemies, particularly fully organic ones – by manipulating the environment?

The main problem with combat is that it is typically very easy. Since software does a lot more damage than basic attacks and there are a lot of free rest-type areas around, I just used direct-damage software all the time and didn’t really need to play around with the other abilities. Boss fights are a lot longer than regular fights and can involve a trick or two (particularly the final fight), but they ended up being mainly endurance battles. Your party never gets bigger than your main character, which further limits the tactics you can use.

I think there are the makings of a decent system here, but the game does not take advantage of them

- You can control how often random combats occur and turn off the jack move QTEs if you want :salute:

- Some basic side quests, some of which give you unique equipment

- Exploration is limited, you’ll be required to go to every area as part of the main plot

- Music was enjoyable, with a kind of inferior Hotline: Miami vibe

- Combat animations were very detailed and cool! This was a highlight for me

- There were a few bugs, or at least some times where I didn't understand what happened. Several times when I would attack, my animation would be cut short and the enemy would respond right away without indicating damage or even "Miss". There was also at least one time where I did not get any XP after the battle :argh:

- SJW watch: The first and perhaps most significant romantic relationship you encounter involves two men (one of whom appears to be disabled), and the main character has a very “flamboyant” uncle. However, for me this was outweighed by the fact that a recurring enemy type is a black guy whose two main combat abilities are pulling two hidden handguns on you, and yelling gibberish to summon more of his type :lol:

- As you can see above, the game is very short. I don't think making it longer would have helped though since character development had stopped by that point

It’s not an easy game to recommend because it’s so short and simple. If you like the genre, I suggest giving it a try or at least keeping an eye out for future releases that improve on the weaknesses of this one, although you may want to wait for a sale on the game given the short playtime (or check out the free demo).

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fatberg Slim Thanks for the review. I have the game but see it's been updating quite often, so I've held off on playing it.
Shame about the length. Do you think they might drop DLCs for it in the future?

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
Fatberg Slim Thanks for the review. I have the game but see it's been updating quite often, so I've held off on playing it.
Shame about the length. Do you think they might drop DLCs for it in the future?

While I don't have any special insight here, I haven't gotten that sense. The story reached an appropriate conclusion by the end of the game and I would think that making changes to address some of the shortcomings I listed would require too many adjustments to the main game. I'm mainly keeping an eye on future new games from this group.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I had this shit installed for like 5 minutes. It was too much.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
6 hours of playtime made me nope.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom