Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

J.E Sawyer resigns, last day Nov. 21

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
There it goes!!! (looks into the distance as a small object disappears into the sunset) Our last chance at a good FO3. (Begins to cry)

Jiles

Educated
Psilon said:
Jesus H. Christ!

Now accepting bets on what the suits did to Fallout 3 to piss Josh off.

I give it about half a day before the conspiracy theorists come out of the wood work. That said, I'm sure there was must have been a really good reason why he felt he had to leave.

Jed

Cipher
Well, at least now he can join a real game company. Perhaps Troika could find a use for him?

asshatnewguy

Novice
I would thinking getting in with Feargus and MCA at obsidian would be more promising for him if he could do that.

Wilton

Novice
I wonder if he quit over disagreable design mandates coming down, or if working at BIS finally sucked the fight out of him. Anyway I wish him good luck were ever he decides to work.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I wonder why he quit, seeing how it was only a week or so when he posted something about sticking with his team, no matter what.

XJEDX said:
Well, at least now he can join a real game company. Perhaps Troika could find a use for him?

Yeah, I thought he should have left a long time ago. Unless he just decides to quit gaming altogether, this is probably a good thing. Interplay is pretty much a lost cause.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, like the one guy in the posts said, he's just getting off the ship before it sinks. Sucks to hear it, but I'm not surprised. Let's hope VB still has a future. All we can do.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
I love to be insensitive sometimes.

Well now if FO:POS sells relatively well Chuck Cuevas could be the new Fallout 3 lead designer.

:wink:

JanC

Liturgist
Azael said:
I wonder why he quit, seeing how it was only a week or so when he posted something about sticking with his team, no matter what.
Looking back at it now, maybe he was just trying to convince himself.
It'll be interesting to hear what he does next.

Voss

Erudite
So, speculation ahoy, anyone?

Things this could mean...

- Nothing. Won't affect FO3 one way or another. This is really unlikely. A different lead (or worse, a lack of a lead) will create differences in the game. Good or bad differences, is up in the air though...

- Fallout 3 is going to be crap, or Iplay insisted on some horrible new "feature(s)" and he left to avoid being part of it.

- He got an offer elsewhere (Obsidian? Somewhere else?)

- Personal reasons prompted the leaving. I'm not speculating here.

- Iplay is going down soonish, and he jumped early.

- FO3's been cancelled, so he walked...

Any other ideas?
Of course, it could be more than one of the above...

John Syron

Novice
Could someone summarize the history of Black Isle/Interplay/the Fallout designers for me? Who were the best personnel, who jumped ship and what companies resulted?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Maybe we'll have to write off the Fallout franchise, as someone posted. A benchmark series no matter what.

(As a side note, I'm playing "Homeworld". Not an RPG, but a lot of fun. Has anyone else tried it?)

Voss

Erudite
Everyone jumped ship, as far as I know. Granted its been years since FO1 and the industry has a fairly high cycle rate (people leave, new people come, then they leave, etc). But I think Avellone was the last of the crew that worked on the old fallouts, and he left months ago...

As for best... well, thats really, really subjective. So many people, so many different opinions...

Jiles

Educated
Voss said:
- Nothing. Won't affect FO3 one way or another. This is really unlikely. A different lead (or worse, a lack of a lead) will create differences in the game. Good or bad differences, is up in the air though...

I believe Sean K Reynolds is the Creative Lead Designer on Fallout 3. Most of JE's work has been finalised (AFAIK).

- Fallout 3 is going to be crap, or Iplay insisted on some horrible new "feature(s)" and he left to avoid being part of it.

We <3 Herve, right?

Well, the most visible recent departures have been Brian Fargo, Feargus Urquhart, Chris Avellone, and now J.E. Sawyer. I think just about everyone who was involved in Fallout and Planescape is gone now. So why are we even bothering to talk about them any more? They're just a name now, anyone associated with anything we might have enjoyed years ago is long gone. Same could be said about the name Fallout I guess. Why spend any more time dwelling on it, it's just a name now.

Jed

Cipher
Jiles said:
I believe Sean K Reynolds is the Creative Lead Designer on Fallout 3. Most of JE's work has been finalised (AFAIK).
Wha? Sean from WotC? Is this another Sean Reynolds, or a typo? Did you mean Jefferson (belived to be another Forgotten Realms opus)?

JanC

Liturgist
Jiles said:
XJEDX said:
Jiles said:
Wha? Sean from WotC? Is this another Sean Reynolds, or a typo? Did you mean Jefferson (belived to be another Forgotten Realms opus)?

Same SKR and yes, he is lead creative on FO3.
It must be a small world in RPG land.
Maybe JE Sawyer quit because Fallout 3 was going to be changed to d20 ;)

Sammael

Liturgist
You can add Dave Maldonado (another Planescape designer, the lead of TORN and BG:DA2) to the list of departures.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom