Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview J.E. Sawyer Interview By Grupo97

Shannow

Waster of Time
@Sawyer: Respect man, I disagree with most of your points especially accepting fucked "realities" instead of forming better ones, but that you even bothered to give some answers is nice.

I'd have to agree with bhlaab. The problem is that "we" are ignored. You don't need as much of a budget to make a good ToEE-esque game as you need for a FO3-esque game. The market, small as it is, has been starved for years. I see potential to turn a nice profit.

And Azrael: ToEE's gameplay was a huge improvement over the IE games. The disappointment lay with the bugs and the lack/vapidness of content.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
1-2.jpg
2.jpg
3-1.jpg

The key to understanding Obsidian.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
C'mon, are we really going to lecture a professional games designer based on what WE think is best? Whilst I really appreciate some of the viewpoints being thrown around, you somtimes just have to wake a little. And no, it isn't too much to ask. But Obsidian, despite the constant technical issues with their games, make good stories. Which I think is of the utmost importance. Good characters and a good story works for me. In the current market, things are going to be played down. Do I think that Obsidian is ever going to do something like FO3(in terms of style), no. Not at all.

Rosh

Erudite
Barrow_Bug said:
C'mon, are we really going to lecture a professional games designer based on what WE think is best?

When he shovels out a load of shit, yes. Or do you suppose that we're supposed to blindly accept anything him and the marketing department say? Some of us have worked in game development, and some of his excuses are just horseshit dishonest as with the graphics and VO being the reason why game mechanics have to be dumbed down or simplified. He equates content to visual and audio superficiality, which indicates a focus upon those than core components AS gameplay. He is essentially using the retarded David Gaider "Waaahhh, story complexity is exponentially difficult!" without realizing that complexity in story paths, setting, or writing quality really has jack shit to do with the graphics.

He might be used to fooling the X-Box idiots, but it doesn't quite work on those who have actually worked in the industry. Or even those who can see what came about 10 years ago with a fraction of the people. And no, I'm not talking about the art department.

Whilst I really appreciate some of the viewpoints being thrown around, you somtimes just have to wake a little. And no, it isn't too much to ask. But Obsidian, despite the constant technical issues with their games, make good stories.

The last good story, game, and design coherence I've seen from the Obsidian team was long before they adopted that name. The rest could merely be described as adequate, if they make it to a finished form.

Which I think is of the utmost importance. Good characters and a good story works for me.

Take a book. 700 pages, right? Now rip out random pages up until page 600, and then also include 600-689. Enjoy.

In the current market, things are going to be played down. Do I think that Obsidian is ever going to do something like FO3(in terms of style), no. Not at all.

With just a year? Fallout: New Vegas looks like it might be worse, the only difference being the lack of coprolalia in the retarded NPC speech. Or at best it would be merely DLC level for full price. Another Feargus SLAM DUNK!

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
I agree with a lot of what you are saying Rosh, I really do. So, I don't really have any witty replies. I'm interested in something though, did you ever work in game design?(I imagine that you did, do). Unless someone is being an utter fuckstain I don't normally get so vitriolic, but I can see that you are passionate. Note, the lack of quotes. I guess I find it kinda amusing that people(especially here) are happy to have a real go at actual game designers. Plus, I think blaming it on the console generation is getting kinda ripe, but that is something different all together. Nonetheless, I'm enjoying what you're on about.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Barrow_Bug said:
C'mon, are we really going to lecture a professional games designer based on what WE think is best?
Yes. Why not? Ah you must mean they are making games for themselves?

But Obsidian, despite the constant technical issues with their games, make good stories.
The Ancient Evil awakens, you are the Chosen One, you carry this part of the Super-Important Sword inside your chest and only You can defeat the Great Evil That Wants To Kill Everyone For Teh Lulz but first you must kill these Dragons Of Great Power, sometimes in pairs.
That's actually the last Sawyer's project btw.
And don't get me started with the boring piece of shit that is SoZ. Did it even have story?
And that totally inane KotOR2 ending.
But most importantly every single Obsidian's project lacks gameplay.

Which I think is of the utmost importance. Good characters and a good story works for me.
Go watch movies then? I want to play games.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
I agree Skyway, gamplay is important. And yes, perhaps I will go and watch some movies, thank you for the advice. You know, up until now, I wouldn't have thought to do that.

Rosh

Erudite
Barrow_Bug said:
I agree with a lot of what you are saying Rosh, I really do. So, I don't really have any witty replies. I'm interested in something though, did you ever work in game design?(I imagine that you did, do).

Yes, I have, and I'm still working (though on indie projects now).

I have worked with and discussed in depth CRPG design with the people who just about CREATED this genre (disregarding the mislabeled dungeon crawlers early on, as even D&D set differences between dungeon crawlers and a role-playing campaign in the 70s - the rules are just a guideline framework for the story and character interaction). A couple were on a couple of MUDs I worked on (I've been involved with more than a few over the years). I'd like to think some of my ideas inspired a few things, but maybe we were just sharing the same mental wavelength for a bit, and they were the ones who put the ideas into action. Some have regretfully left the industry, through willingness or not. Maybe they were just tired of playing crap after their own imaginative works?

Greenberg and Woodhead I kept in contact with through BBS systems and later Usenet. Sirotek I only talked with briefly.
Van Caneghem as well was a good contact of mine.
I even knew Dim Wit Bradley before he started drinking lead paint by the bucket and decided that action crap could replace decent quality or setting design, but he didn't have the hype or shiny effects to prop up his weak attempts outside of Sir-Tech. How he ever got Greenberg to work on Dungeon Tards is beyond me...

All of these folks went far past the stock fantasy crap most went for, STILL go for, and instead first had the audience expecting one thing as they played - which later opened up into a whole new level of lore possibilities when you consider the "medieval" setting was just a recent thing in the history of the world. The player's conceptions would be blown apart as they realized what they knew of the world was just barely covering the surface. As I once put it "The observation of one's world, one's surroundings, builds a bubble of familiarity to the player. Build it up, solidify it, then mercilessly POP it and leave their mind reeling. If their mind isn't flooded with questions about a whole new set of possibilities of the setting, then something is wrong with them or they are too ignorant in the first place." That is why "OMG, surprise! Your ally is now an enemy!" fails to impress me, as well as similar cliches. Kreia? Saw it coming from a mile off. Playing as the villain or a bad guy isn't new, either, Wizardry IV. Many of the ideas in "modern" games aren't remotely new or fresh compared to 20 years ago.

I worked at Origin first as an intern (apprentice, as Dr. Cat and others would like to call it) and then into some other areas that included design, mostly interface work. All the while, I studied how they created worlds. They created worlds. Then The Guardian...err, EA, destroyed them.

I also knew the Currie duo, though I never really knew if they were related or whatever. It wasn't important given the other information. I really don't give a shit about developer's personal lives for the most part when it comes to development, just game development. Oh, speaking of Jagged Alliance...

62.gif

Hello. (No, I don't actually wear an earring, and the nose was toned down a bit...and my chin hair is about eight inches longer now.)

All of these, I have valued for their willingness to discuss game design ideas without slipping into some marketing speek or excuses. Well, except for Dim Wit (when it was original joked as Dude...Whoa...), and who the hell knows what's up with him lately. They talked about ACTUAL DESIGN instead of waffling around Design Theory. The more developers talk lately, the more common it is for them to talk in marketing speek, or give excuses as to why they won't even try anymore.

The difference between then and now is about as different as Ed Greenwood's work and the kiddy piddling around in D&D like Penny Arcade's little campaign that might be interesting for fellow D&D newbies and nobody else. One of my team linked that to me, who I've since threatened with leaving tied up bareass naked out on I-5, after I had to close the podcast before my brains started leaking out of my ears.

They agreed with me, but that wasn't the point. I don't voluntarily listen to shit, so to have it sprung on me like that was just...evil.

Since then, I have also been involved in game design by discussion with various developers, who have in turn given me nods (or pokes in return) for my efforts in guiding them into better work.

Fallout Tactics was meant to be simply a series of maps, one after another, with a break at the bases. Due to my inside information and talks with the developers, I could force their hand into releasing something better no matter how it pissed them off, and so they added in a world map and more detail to make the game more like Fallout than it already was with the time they had left on the project. Tony Oakden told me I both pissed off and helped out MicroForté, and yes I'm the proverbial old geezer that pisses in other people's punch (or Nuka-Cola, in that case).

I've done the same for Interplay and BIS for years, both giving critiques where something seemed a bit too cliche as well as catching Feargus at his dishonesty - in particular the dishonest SLAM DUNK! titles that inferred good quality CRPGs as BIS were known for, but were in actuality dungeon crawlers made cheaply to cash in on a full price tag. With Descent to Undermountain, I had a field day on it during its development and release. I like to think I keep them on track for the most part, though when I leave for awhile they tend to slip into following BioWare like a lost puppy. (I have long since found out that BioWare is a lost cause, in particular after the EA assimilation. Bethesda, too, after all the greats left or were reduced down to menial positions as content grinders, including the Father of TES.)

It is because of my efforts that I get game cameos, though nowhere near as unflattering as Cleve's, mainly because I do know something about game design and can make a decently coherent argument (most of the time, I'll admit sometimes I run into something that just PISSES me off).

I *AM* Eli(ezer) Havelock, jaded spymaster (PS:T).

Unless someone is being an utter fuckstain I don't normally get so vitriolic, but I can see that you are passionate. Note, the lack of quotes.

Everyone who wants quality should be passionate, in particular since publishers promise, offer, hype, and fail to deliver. You need to break through the noise:signal ratio of developer hype and fanboyism versus what is actually released. JE could take a page from Avellone's book. Hell, even Avellone himself lately could take a page from his own book:

We wanted a powerful story, and we didn't want to be afraid of it being too deep for mass market; we just wanted to make it good.

~ Chris Avellone - Planescape: Torment Strategies & Secrets

And that is why PS:T gets the recognition it deserves, despite being an Inbred Engine game with the combat engine being the most often listed downfall.

I guess I find it kinda amusing that people(especially here) are happy to have a real go at actual game designers.

Again, folks need to be passionate about what they want, because otherwise the industry will settle for the easy, superficial sales, for the sake of cashing in on easy, superficial people. They wouldn't believe that a "hardcore" audience exists, as they label us, while we're merely the old school who remembers good games and don't believe this "innovative" shit while they call certain game design concepts outdated, and prop up weak development upon hype (Dim Wit's Downfall). They would like to believe that, because otherwise how would they excuse their lazy cloning? They would get away with their lies and hype if we didn't catch them at it, and they do in part, while our efforts open the eyes of a few at a time. Some publishers simply don't care as long as the cash rolls in. That is why BioWare is hyping out their romances (also given the FAUX News publicity), and it's why those who have been sick of the same stupid shit since Baldur's Gate have been calling bullshit, while the kiddies make Imoen incest mods.

BioWare simply doesn't have anything to hype anymore given how almost everything about Ass Effect was ass but the sex scenes apparently went over well. Anything else, in particular gameplay complexity, is neatly excused by the "exponential" argument David Gaider pulls from his ass on a regular basis.

I knew the greats a long time ago, and those considered such now or in recent years seem to be coming up with excuses as to why they aren't going to try for exceptional work anymore. As long as it can be slapped out in a year, every year, for the loyal kiddies so their attention spans wouldn't wander too far.

Plus, I think blaming it on the console generation is getting kinda ripe, but that is something different all together.

Well, what do you call it when game designs are catered towards the X-Box audience almost wholesale, to the point of compromising game design integrity? Fallout 3 was a good example, with how it wouldn't run on some PS3s, completely throwing the argument so commonly used for consoles clear out the window - the variation of PC hardware. The PS3 has standardized hardware, so why wouldn't many copies work on PS3s unless they simply didn't care to fully QA the game in the first place?

Is there anything to indicate that Fallout: New Vegas won't be filled with the same problems, in particular with that short of a development schedule? My gut feeling, until I can get a hold of some design details through my sources, is rushed development would only make the already existing issues far, far worse.

EDIT: Damn typos, and some more info.

Dionysus

Scholar
Rosh said:
Again, folks need to be passionate about what they want, because otherwise the industry will settle for the easy, superficial sales, for the sake of cashing in on easy, superficial people.
Superficial sales? WTF does that mean? Are they raking in superficial money? Seriously though, this ship already sailed. Mainstream games never struck me as being particularly deep or complex. I don't think we are any worse off with Mass Effect or Fallout 3 than we were with Pokemon or Final Fantasy VII.

Anyway, I don't agree with Sawyer's dismissal of difficulty sliders. For example, New Vegas would benefit greatly from a skill difficulty slider (to adjust XP gains and skill point management) and a combat difficulty slider that adjusts the extent to which VATS nerfs damage, among other things. And there's no reason that they can't turn off the quest compass for those that don't want to see that sort of thing. You'll never unite the casual Wii Sports fans with the codex crowd, but I think you can go a long way toward appealing to the mainstream and hardcore by giving extra menu options to the player and supporting the mod community.

Rosh

Erudite
I thought so, but there's so many siblings in the industry, I didn't want to make the assumption, and never really bothered to find out.

Dionysus said:
Superficial sales? WTF does that mean? Are they raking in superficial money? Seriously though, this ship already sailed.

Do I really need to explain the difference between informed purchases and impulse purchases for the newbies in the crowd? I guess I do. Informed would imply that the buyer actually knew about the genre to compare the title adequately (which would destroy all hype), whereas impulse or hype-driven purchases are made based on superficial decision processes.

Now, think about which one the game industry now works by.

Mainstream games never struck me as being particularly deep or complex. I don't think we are any worse off with Mass Effect or Fallout 3 than we were with Pokemon or Final Fantasy VII.

Unfortunately for me, I remember a time when mainstream games were deep, complex, and sold well enough for one developer to buy himself a castle.

Anyway, I don't agree with Sawyer's dismissal of difficulty sliders. For example, New Vegas would benefit greatly from a skill difficulty slider (to adjust XP gains and skill point management) and a combat difficulty slider that adjusts the extent to which VATS nerfs damage, among other things.

Hooray for numerical difficulty! Too bad that can't replace complexity in design and complexity by design. Be careful, those are two completely different concepts, so try not to hurt yourself.

Pseudofool

Scholar
J.E. Sawyer said:
Rosh said:
JE Preaches high ideals,
I really don't think I do. I try to be practical about the work that I do, which does mean that I am constantly trying to satisfy a wide, mostly non-hardcore audience. I try to find ways to introduce optional mechanics that take a relatively mainstream game style and make it more engaging for the hardcore audience. I may not be very good at it, but that is what I am trying to do.
Preach was probably the wrong word. But anytime you're talking about engaging a hardcore audience, you're dealing with some pretty high ideals in terms of both narrative and game mechanics.

Dionysus

Scholar
Rosh said:
Unfortunately for me, I remember a time when mainstream games were deep, complex, and sold well enough for one developer to buy himself a castle.
I don't remember much complexity in Super Mario Bros, Dragon Warrior, or even Pong for that matter. I suspect that you just remember a time when you didn't complain or care about the mainstream so much. I think that single-player mainstream games have gotten easier, but I wouldn't say they are less complex.

Rosh said:
Hooray for numerical difficulty! Too bad that can't replace complexity in design and complexity by design.
You can get pretty far simply by adjusting variables in a game like FO3. It's currently calibrated for people that don't want much challenge in the combat, and don't want to worry much about where they put their skill points.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Rosh said:
Some publishers simply don't care as long as the cash rolls in. That is why BioWare is hyping out their romances (also given the FAUX News publicity), and it's why those who have been sick of the same stupid shit since Baldur's Gate have been calling bullshit, while the kiddies make Imoen incest mods.

BioWare simply doesn't have anything to hype anymore given how almost everything about Ass Effect was ass but the sex scenes apparently went over well. Anything else, in particular gameplay complexity, is neatly excused by the "exponential" argument David Gaider pulls from his ass on a regular basis.

This seems to be close to an argument that Bio's big problem is that they make the sort of games that their fans like. Are you really going there?

circ

Arcane
Dionysus said:
I don't remember much complexity in Super Mario Bros, Dragon Warrior, or even Pong for that matter. I suspect that you just remember a time when you didn't complain or care about the mainstream so much. I think that single-player mainstream games have gotten easier, but I wouldn't say they are less complex.

You can get pretty far simply by adjusting variables in a game like FO3. It's currently calibrated for people that don't want much challenge in the combat, and don't want to worry much about where they put their skill points.

I don't remember him mentioning Dragon Warrior or Pong. I can't even remember what DW is like. As for Super Mario, yeah, it's pretty complex from a design perspective. You can break brick platforms, gather coins for extra lives, you need good hand eye co-ordination for some levels if you want a good time. There are scaling vines. Underwater levels. Invulnerability mushrooms, growth mushrooms. Pipes you climb into. Flagpoles. Imagine coming up with most of that from nothing.

Compare that to Mass Effect. Standard shooter. Unbelievably cliched plot (and not a very good one at that). Dialogue scenes you've seen in adventure games for 20 years. Same group mates you had in Jade Empire and KoTOR. Same alignment system you had in the forementioned games. There's not a single original thing in that game.

Wait. FO3 was challenging? You could play it on the hardest difficulty. Head straight for the super mutants. Turn on VATS and blast away. That's the difficulty part. I'm not even going to mention the shitty shooter it is or the horrid dialogue. Oh I just did.

Pseudofool

Scholar
Secretninja said:
Pseudofool said:
Actually, those are ok.

I took nothing you said seriously after this.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic about liking Entourage and Nip'n'tuck, or not. I was trying to be nice, as I don't particularly care for either.

But if you want to do dismiss someone's opinion because of a matter of taste, it's your loss, buddy.

Rosh

Erudite
I would like to present to the court Exhibit N: A Nintardo:

Dionysus said:
I don't remember much complexity in Super Mario Bros, Dragon Warrior, or even Pong for that matter.

A pity you're too ignorant of the history of CRPGs to really include anything appropriate on that list.

But thanks for showing that you understand Nintendo and Pong. A pity for you that the video game industry started with one, while the other one was considered a joke by the PC market at the same time.

I suspect that you just remember a time when you didn't complain or care about the mainstream so much. I think that single-player mainstream games have gotten easier, but I wouldn't say they are less complex.

I remember a time when I didn't have to, because you could simply point to a game either coming out or already out that was of excellent quality. They are still considered so today because of their truly visionary additions to the industry.

I think I have cited enough examples in this thread, and developers, that even a Googlemonkey with a modicum of intelligence could figure out the titles they created.

Could you say the same of BioWare, of Obsidian? What great contributions have either given to the genre outside of a title that Obsidian developed when they weren't even called Obsidian?

ou can get pretty far simply by adjusting variables in a game like FO3. It's currently calibrated for people that don't want much challenge in the combat, and don't want to worry much about where they put their skill points.

You can get even further by leaning how System Shock 1 handled difficulty.

Go get a clue before you presume to speak to me again, thank you.

Ahh, hell, I'll give you a freebie, one of about a dozen examples I've already listed in this thread by proxy of their writers: Figure out which games Dragon Warrior ripped off. Poorly.

AlanC9 said:
This seems to be close to an argument that Bio's big problem is that they make the sort of games that their fans like. Are you really going there?

I went there, came back, and brought souvenirs. Here's one, displaying how BioWare's quality has gone downhill from rock bottom and continues to dig in their search for as many people to draw in as possible. The focus on stupid romance plots as a feature while making excuses as to why they won't try on more important matters (and I'm not talking about mounts), means they are catering towards puerile tastes while neglecting other serious details of their development. Such as developing an engine worth a shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom