Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've never played any Half Life games

iqzulk

Augur
HL1, I think, is the game which kinda expects you to stick your nose in every single wall in order to see every single little detail of every single painted texture and to (pardon me) masturbate to every singly strange piece of machinery you encounter on your way. I also get the impression that it kinda wanted to be a some kind of survival horror game, with accent on environment interaction, all that strange and deadly machinery with unclear purposes all around you, etc. and counting every single bullet trying to survive with 10HP.

There are two problems, of course. The first one is that the hardware renderer with default gamma settings produces a pile of blurry gray vomit with absolutely washed out colors (didn't I mention gray?), texture filtration (didn't I mention blurry?) absolutely destroying all the lovely painted textures. The environments look "unrealistically" empty and the actual game just feels wrong - and not in the conceptual "strange research base with alien mechanisms and otherworldly beasts" sense too - wrong, empty and really, really boring. And the very LAST thing you'll actually want to do in such environments is to stick your nose into yet another pile of dark-grey vomit, which is meant to represent yet another piece of "strange machinery".
The second one is that Half-Life, even of hard, is kinda too easy game to be considered anything even close to any form of survival horror (and, well, there just isn't any survivalist resource management other than your usual FPS bullets-armor-HP fare). Moreover, its mechanics are completely unfit for it because three biggest risks in the entire game are instadeaths from falling/machinery, hitscanning marines and the grenades tossed in your general direction by the aforementioned hitscanning marines. And any sort of difficulty rebalance (not that I'm aware of any, mind you) heightening the risks would only make the two of the latter already frustrating mechanics proportionally more frustrating.

As for countering those two problems, I can advise you the following.

First of all, play the game using software renderer ONLY (or at the very least, if on hardware, with texture filtration set to nearest instead of bilinear) - Quake-style - AND with gamma and glare reduction set to absolute minimum. Thus, you'll have at least some really interesting painted textures and some really interesting colors, which would at least somewhat reignite the interest to exploring all the lovingly modelled and textured surroundings. Plus the jaggies noise will "fill up" the empty spaces enough for them to look tolerable. I would also advise to set resolution to 640x480 (sadly, too much moire due to the crapload of high-contrast directional patterned textures) or 800x600 (not enough jaggie-noise to completely fill up surroundings, still extensive moire so there's no distinctive advantage over 640x480 in that regard, the sky textures look dead wrong in this res compared to 640x480), so that the visuals don't look too clean, empty and sterile.
As for the second issue, I'd just advise you to play on hard and regard this game as some kind of highly atmospheric yet casual "curious textures, strange gadgets and weird alien creatures eyeballing simulation" with some occasional tough fights here and there (surroundings - first, baddies - second) - and that's that.

Holy shit iqzulk, are you the one who made the masterpiece on the left here?

I8JCPg4l.jpg

I'm honored to be in the presence of such a celebrity.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
HL1 is a fucking classic.

HL2 is a mixed bag. For every Ravenholm there's a fucking hovercraft.
HL2 Ep. 1 is shit
HL2 Ep. 2 is fun.

DraQ

Arcane
HL1, I think, is the game which kinda expects you to stick your nose in every single wall in order to see every single little detail of every single painted texture and to (pardon me) masturbate to every singly strange piece of machinery you encounter on your way. I also get the impression that it kinda wanted to be a some kind of survival horror game, with accent on environment interaction, all that strange and deadly machinery with unclear purposes all around you, etc. and counting every single bullet trying to survive with 10HP.

There are two problems, of course. The first one is that the hardware renderer with default gamma settings produces a pile of blurry gray vomit with absolutely washed out colors (didn't I mention gray?), texture filtration (didn't I mention blurry?) absolutely destroying all the lovely painted textures. The environments look "unrealistically" empty and the actual game just feels wrong - and not in the conceptual "strange research base with alien mechanisms and otherworldly beasts" sense too - wrong, empty and really, really boring. And the very LAST thing you'll actually want to do in such environments is to stick your nose into yet another pile of dark-grey vomit, which is meant to represent yet another piece of "strange machinery".
The second one is that Half-Life, even of hard, is kinda too easy game to be considered anything even close to any form of survival horror (and, well, there just isn't any survivalist resource management other than your usual FPS bullets-armor-HP fare). Moreover, its mechanics are completely unfit for it because three biggest risks in the entire game are instadeaths from falling/machinery, hitscanning marines and the grenades tossed in your general direction by the aforementioned hitscanning marines. And any sort of difficulty rebalance (not that I'm aware of any, mind you) heightening the risks would only make the two of the latter already frustrating mechanics proportionally more frustrating.

As for countering those two problems, I can advise you the following.

First of all, play the game using software renderer ONLY (or at the very least, if on hardware, with texture filtration set to nearest instead of bilinear) - Quake-style - AND with gamma and glare reduction set to absolute minimum. Thus, you'll have at least some really interesting painted textures and some really interesting colors, which would at least somewhat reignite the interest to exploring all the lovingly modelled and textured surroundings. Plus the jaggies noise will "fill up" the empty spaces enough for them to look tolerable. I would also advise to set resolution to 640x480 (sadly, too much moire due to the crapload of high-contrast directional patterned textures) or 800x600 (not enough jaggie-noise to completely fill up surroundings, still extensive moire so there's no distinctive advantage over 640x480 in that regard, the sky textures look dead wrong in this res compared to 640x480), so that the visuals don't look too clean, empty and sterile.
As for the second issue, I'd just advise you to play on hard and regard this game as some kind of highly atmospheric yet casual "curious textures, strange gadgets and weird alien creatures eyeballing simulation" with some occasional tough fights here and there (surroundings - first, baddies - second) - and that's that.
The fuck have I just read.

Half Life is a definition of 10/10 game and that's alll, nothing more to add.

So-called 'Half Life 2' has literally NOTHING common with its predecessor. HL1 was an excellent mix of all these conspiracy theories like 'bad goverment is hiding truth about Roswell', X-Files, top secret experiments etc. you know what I mean. Now u lead some rebellion to the victory over some bad aliens and every NPC you met goes with retarded talk like 'You... YOU ARE GORDON FUCKIN FREEMAN, A FUKKING LEGGEND, I READ ABOUT YA I MY SCHOOLBOOK AND I LOVE YA blablahblah TAKE THIS ROCKET LAUNCHER AND GO SHOOTTIN SOME BANSHEEZ' or 'OH NO WERE IN TROUBLE BUT HERE'S GORDON FUKKIN FREEMAN IN DA FLESH BRING US TO THE SLAUGHTER PLS WE'LL DO ANYTHING YA WANT KOZ WERE YOUR SHEEPZ'.

And this moment when Barney gives you a crowbar praising GOOD OLD DAYZ is just like the game needed to remind you of being HL1 sequel coz it really doesn't feel like it is... Pathetic.

Shooting is mediocre, Alyx is annnoying, weapons are generic, AI is dumb, vehicle parts are boring, plot is a joke etc. what a waste of Source engine for this mediocrity. It's not Unreal 2 bad or smt but still one of the most disappointing and overrated games ever.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
After this Opposing Force, and Blueshift expansions from Gearbox.

I would play HL2 and both episodes after some time has passed. Or wait until Episode 3 is released :troll:
Yup, best to wait until Valve finish the series :troll:

Silva

Arcane
Half Life is a definition of 10/10 game and that's alll, nothing more to add.

So-called 'Half Life 2' has literally NOTHING common with its predecessor. HL1 was an excellent mix of all these conspiracy theories like 'bad goverment is hiding truth about Roswell', X-Files, top secret experiments etc. you know what I mean. Now u lead some rebellion to the victory over some bad aliens and every NPC you met goes with retarded talk like 'You... YOU ARE GORDON FUCKIN FREEMAN, A FUKKING LEGGEND, I READ ABOUT YA I MY SCHOOLBOOK AND I LOVE YA blablahblah TAKE THIS ROCKET LAUNCHER AND GO SHOOTTIN SOME BANSHEEZ' or 'OH NO WERE IN TROUBLE BUT HERE'S GORDON FUKKIN FREEMAN IN DA FLESH BRING US TO THE SLAUGHTER PLS WE'LL DO ANYTHING YA WANT KOZ WERE YOUR SHEEPZ'.

And this moment when Barney gives you a crowbar praising GOOD OLD DAYZ is just like the game needed to remind you of being HL1 sequel coz it really doesn't feel like it is... Pathetic.

Shooting is mediocre, Alyx is annnoying, weapons are generic, AI is dumb, vehicle parts are boring, plot is a joke etc. what a waste of Source engine for this mediocrity. It's not Unreal 2 bad or smt but still one of the most disappointing and overrated games ever.
Yeah, this.

Cassidy

Arcane
I only bought Half-Life couple of years after its release because of the mods. I was drawn by Counter-Strike, but it was Natural Selection that I truly ended liking.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It depends, do you like shooting on a FPS? Then play the original, it is linear but it has pretty decent shooting with challenging enemies, ignore HL 2. If you can stand the kinda popamolified enemies that are just a shadow of what the enemies in Half Life 1 were but want to experience the atmosphere and eviroment storytelling that Valve is known for anyway, play Half Life 2 also.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
HL1 is mandatory. That doesn't mean that you have to like it, just that you have to play it before you can call yourself a civilized person.
Opposing Force is awesome, adds lots of cool things.
Blue Shift is skippable, just more of the same except a lot less interesting.
HL2 and the episodes are about as good as corridor shooters from the last ten years are going to get.

Start with HL1 and make up your own mind on whether you want to check out the rest.

DeepOcean

Arcane
It depends, do you like shooting on a FPS?
Then you go and recommend playing Half-Life. :lol:
I'm very aware that HL series aren't the best shooters around in pure shooting mechanics but they aren't a waste of time like 99% of modern shooters for a FPS fan. In HL 1, the enemies while being a little bullet spongy, they can actually kill you, imagine how that would be revolutionary these days. Those jumping sections and scripted sections are kinda shitty but they aren't aggravating and there is enough shooting, so it isn't a waste of time. There are the atmosphere and eviroment storyteling but that is more of a subjective stuff.

Borelli

Arcane
Am i the only one who did not hate the Xen and it's platforming? For most parts it isn't hard at all. And the level itself feels truly alien after the science lab.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Am i the only one who did not hate the Xen and it's platforming? For most parts it isn't hard at all. And the level itself feels truly alien after the science lab.

Nope, you arent. Xen was fun. The platforming bits were meh, but the look of the place was really interesting. The part i hated? On Rails chapter. I got lost in that place for hours... (but then, i played as a kid)

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
HL1 and OpFor are a must. Blue Shift is nice but very short. Decay is okay. HL2 is pretty cool but it's very different. The HL2 episodes are a bit forgettable.
Again, I agree with DraQ about Xen. I think it's by far the best bit of the game with Surface Tension. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom