Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've never played any Half Life games

seco

Educated
Valve drones get the rope.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
for all their shitting 4fags seem to all be a bunch of consoletards in the end. Goldeneye, lmao, couldn't have chosen a more perfect example of an overrated piece of shit that also happens to (barely) be an FPS

Duke has cool level design but weak combat, Unreal is full of non-gameplay, Marathon is mediocrity incarnate, Sin is just Half-Life with extra buttons, Thief isn't an FPS, neither is Ultima Underworld, even System Shock isn't quite, it's an adventure-game-hybrid-thing with simplistic shooting, stuff like Powerslave is third-rate trash you only mention because you are le ebic troll, etc. And I'm saying this as someone who actually really liked all those games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You have yet to explain what makes HL good or special compared to other 90's fps.
I rest my case.

It was made by intelligent people. Most other 90's shooters were mostly created by high-school dorks and dropouts that mixed and mashed some "cool shit" together and called it a day.

Unreal and Quake have more intelligent gameplay than Half Life though.
Half Life's problem is that it has too many hitscan enemies. The main threat halfway through the game - the soldiers - all have hitscan weapons. Your own mainstay weapons are hitscan too. This essentially leads to popamole where the only viable strategy is to dodge behind cover and only come out to shoot when the enemy is moving (as they don't shoot while moving), then pop back behind cover. Occasionally you toss grenades as long as you have ammo for them.

Meanwhile enemy variety and behavior in Quake is a lot greater, and most of the time you can even bait enemies into fighting each other if you're clever about it.

seco

Educated
Based.
You can fool normalfags but oldfags never forget.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the latest Black Mesa, but the Xeen section takes forever (there are shorter nuFPS out there than that section of the game). The military are on steroids now too, they move ultrafast and shoot at the same time, they make all monsters look like pussies.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Black Mesa Xen is probably one of the worst gaming experiences I've had in my life. Bigger is not better, explosions do not make cool, feelzmusic is not real emotion, and boring aesthetics are not alien. No sense of any of the eeriness the original had. But that's the case with the rest of Black Mesa anyway. That kind of plain, reserved representation of things was precisely what made Half-Life so special. But bro what if we wuz hallywewd

schru

Arcane
Unreal and Quake have more intelligent gameplay than Half Life though.
Half Life's problem is that it has too many hitscan enemies. The main threat halfway through the game - the soldiers - all have hitscan weapons. Your own mainstay weapons are hitscan too. This essentially leads to popamole where the only viable strategy is to dodge behind cover and only come out to shoot when the enemy is moving (as they don't shoot while moving), then pop back behind cover. Occasionally you toss grenades as long as you have ammo for them.

Meanwhile enemy variety and behavior in Quake is a lot greater, and most of the time you can even bait enemies into fighting each other if you're clever about it.
Quake, yes, but Unreal not so much. Quake, like Doom, has excellent rhythm and synergy to all the elements that compose its combat, but the combat in Unreal is subpar for much of the game and its main appeal lies in atmosphere. It's only a few of the later, more powerful weapons and the Skaarj warriors in particular encounters that provide for actually good FPS gameplay, while most of the enemies and encounters are just anæmic, with enemies that are bullet-sponges that aren't very engaging to fight, while the early weapons lack something in terms of force and utility (note for example how much more interesting ASMD/the Shock Rifle is in Unreal Tournament).

Half-Life has its problems but the soldiers are not one of them, being on the contrary one of the best implementations of hit-scan enemies. They have an interesting pattern to their movements and the way they stop to shoot, retain awareness of the last place they saw the player in, use grenades, and work in conjunction with level design is very thoughtful. It's most of the lesser alien enemies that are quite inadequate, posing little challenge and not working together in an interesting way; only the alien slaves and controllers have fairly good patterns to their attacks, posing actual threat towards the end of the game. Also, there's quite a lot of opportunities to get the soldiers and aliens to fight each other in Half-Life and not in a way that only relies on rigidly scripted set pieces.

Half-Life and its sequel have definitely been overrated by many people, while earlier, purer shooters like Doom and Quake were moronically dismissed by the same people as ‘unintelligent’ or lacking in pacing or story, but it's not a reason to take things in the other direction and try to deny them their place as fun and memorable shooters of a more specific type.

Last edited:

seco

Educated
If it's overrated then it can't be considered a classic or one of the best fps.
Black Mesa Xen is probably one of the worst gaming experiences I've had in my life. Bigger is not better, explosions do not make cool, feelzmusic is not real emotion, and boring aesthetics are not alien. No sense of any of the eeriness the original had. But that's the case with the rest of Black Mesa anyway. That kind of plain, reserved representation of things was precisely what made Half-Life so special. But bro what if we wuz hallywewd
So as bad as the original then?

seco

Educated
Doom is literally the peak of FPS games.
Zoomers will never understand.
They prefer linear and/or console garbage like Half Life, COD, Halo, FEAR, Goldeneye, CS, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters, nu Doom, nu Wolfenstein, Titanfall.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Doom, Quake, Duke, Blood, Unreal, Shadow Warrior, Tribes, Marathon, Outlaws, Dark Forces, Strife, Cybermage, Sin, Redneck Rampage, Powerslave, Turok, Thief, Deus Ex, System Shock, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters, Ultima Underworld
Now those are timeless classics.

They prefer linear and/or console garbage like Half Life, COD, Halo, FEAR, Goldeneye, CS, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters, nu Doom, nu Wolfenstein, Titanfall.

:happytrollboy:

schru

Arcane
Doom is literally the peak of FPS games.
Zoomers will never understand.
It's you who doesn't seem to understand. I also think that Doom and Quake are the best. But Half-Life is also a classic, it's just that a lot of people started fallaciously treating it as the only right way to design shooters, while in fact HL's quality stems more from Valve's ability to pull off that sort of game, with several elements that are more extraneous to shooters. It's also largely the grudge some people have against HL2 that's being retrospectively projected onto the original.

The real hit-scan, linear decline in shooters was rather something that was already a developing tendency around the same time Half-Life was made: Redneck Rampage's combat, Blood II, Kingpin, Soldier of Fortune (good weapons and damage system, of course), Return to Castle Wolfenstein (just to be clear, the level design in this case wasn't so simplistic), Medal of Honor (the PS1 titles were fun for what they were).

seco

Educated
What's there to understand? Half Life is cringe. Doom and Quake are based
Anyone who thinks otherwise is retarded.

seco

Educated
It's you who doesn't seem to understand. I also think that Doom and Quake are the best. But Half-Life is also a classic, it's just that a lot of people started fallaciously treating it as the only right way to design shooters, while in fact HL's quality stems more from Valve's ability to pull off that sort of game, with several elements that are more extraneous to shooters. It's also largely the grudge some people have against HL2 that's being retrospectively projected onto the original.

The real hit-scan, linear decline in shooters was rather something that was already a developing tendency around the same time Half-Life was made: Redneck Rampage's combat, Blood II, Kingpin, Soldier of Fortune (good weapons and damage system, of course), Return to Castle Wolfenstein (just to be clear, the level design in this case wasn't so simplistic), Medal of Honor (the PS1 titles were fun for what they were).
The problem is that normalfags think those games are as good as the real classsics.
They are filtered by non linearity, agency and real choices.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
You know, on 4chan's /vr/ there was a massive autist who always created threads shitting on the original Half-Life using similar arguments; that it ruined the genre, that it couldn't compete against DOOM, everyone who liked it was retarded and so on... It got so bad that jannies had to delete all threads discussing HL on sight as a preventative measure because the autist would inevitably derail them into shitflinging. I haven't seen the troll on /vr/ in a while... perhaps because he found a new home?
thinking.png

seco

Educated
Your mom is cringe.

You know, on 4chan's /vr/ there was a massive autist who always created threads shitting on the original Half-Life using similar arguments; that it ruined the genre, that it couldn't compete against DOOM, everyone who liked it was retarded and so on... It got so bad that jannies had to delete all threads discussing HL on sight as a preventative measure because the autist would inevitably derail them into shitflinging. I haven't seen the troll on /vr/ in a while... perhaps because he found a new home?
thinking.png
Why are you defending decline?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
At least /vr/ gave us Garage: Bad Dream Adventure. How many obscure Japanese adventure games have you contributed to the internet, seco?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom