Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've just finished Fallout 3 for the very first time.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Respect racofer.........even with all the mods I can find, I always hit a wall about 10 hrs in and give up.

racofer

Thread Incliner
commie said:
Respect racofer.........even with all the mods I can find, I always hit a wall about 10 hrs in and give up.

That's why it took me eleven months to finish it.

Short exposures was the key.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
My last effort was after playing NV which I stopped for a while to wait for some patching. Thought that going back to F3, maybe I'd find something more to appreciate, that somehow NV would rub off in a good way and make me calmer with F3 knowing that I don't have to think of it as Fallout in any shape or form since NV kind of just took a place after F2 making this game some 'offshoot' that I could try and enjoy on it's own merits. It helped a bit, but goddamn the subways and the dialogues do everything they can to stop any good will!

UserNamer

Cipher
I played fallout 3, but I didn't finish it because I am not a masochist. Thankfully, I forgot most of the game.

I remember a few of the thing that annoyed me the most. The abundance of stupid combat filled dungeons is one. How come the whole world is chock full of "dungeons" filled with those incredibly sadistic raiders/supermutants and valuble weaponry?

I remember that I thought that the elementary school at the start, with the reaiders and the bodies was kinda cool. Then I discovered that the next 10000 locations where the same (raiders and mutilated corps) and the other 20000 locations where super mutants coves.

One of the most scary experience I ever had in the game was discovering yet another building in f3, deciding to explore a bit, and quickly coming to the realization that it was yet another, dark, generic dungeons chock-full of supermutants. Suddenly, a strong and overwhelming boredom induced nause got the best of me, and I frantically started to look for the entrance I came from.

The place was so generic that I couldn't instantly find the way back. It was like being trapped in quicksand: the more I struggled to escape from Snore Fortress, the more I accidentally explored it further! My heart was literally beating from the shock of facing such a boring piece of shit mess. It was like the shock made me stupid, preventing me from finding an exit.

I eventually managed to escape, then I discovered that to proceed further in the world area, I had to navigate an underground labyrinth chock full of raiders. At that point, the game basically uninstalled by itself.

grotsnik

Arcane
UserNamer said:
At that point, the game basically uninstalled by itself.

I know exactly what you mean. Three times now over the past few years I've installed Fallout 3, got through the tutorial levels, and stepped out of the Vault into the Wasteland. A whole world of exciting possibilities and interesting locations awaits me.

Then I blink, and somehow, I'm staring at my desktop screen, the game's completely vanished from my computer, the CD's back in a drawer, and I feel as if I've been somehow violated mentally.

Third time around, the pattern changed; the CD migrated to the bin instead and had chicken fat sploshed all over it.

Mysterious stuff.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
UserNamer said:
One of the most scary experience I ever had in the game was discovering yet another building in f3, deciding to explore a bit, and quickly coming to the realization that it was yet another, dark, generic dungeons chock-full of supermutants. Suddenly, a strong and overwhelming boredom induced nause got the best of me, and I frantically started to look for the entrance I came from.

The place was so generic that I couldn't instantly find the way back. It was like being trapped in quicksand: the more I struggled to escape from Snore Fortress, the more I accidentally explored it further! My heart was literally beating from the shock of facing such a boring piece of shit mess. It was like the shock made me stupid, preventing me from finding an exit.

I eventually managed to escape, then I discovered that to proceed further in the world area, I had to navigate an underground labyrinth chock full of raiders. At that point, the game basically uninstalled by itself.
Are you sure you weren't playing Fallout 2: Daggerfall?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
UserNamer said:
I played fallout 3, but I didn't finish it because I am not a masochist. Thankfully, I forgot most of the game.

I remember a few of the thing that annoyed me the most. The abundance of stupid combat filled dungeons is one. How come the whole world is chock full of "dungeons" filled with those incredibly sadistic raiders/supermutants and valuble weaponry?

I remember that I thought that the elementary school at the start, with the reaiders and the bodies was kinda cool. Then I discovered that the next 10000 locations where the same (raiders and mutilated corps) and the other 20000 locations where super mutants coves.

This actually pissed me off more than anything. The combat was horrible, the writing was awful, blah blah, usual complaints, but it didn't come together quite as badly as I expected and I enjoyed it for a few hours. But eventually this exact thing - combined with the subways, which I spent far too much time in before I learned my lesson - wore me down and drove me to hate. I don't understand how even Bethesda fans can enjoy it; they're ADD early-teens who love epic stories and explosions and Liberty Prime, where do they find it in themselves to enjoy yet another pointless hour trekking around an office building only to discover there was in fact no point in it?

CreamySpinach

Educated
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
UserNamer said:

This actually pissed me off more than anything. The combat was horrible, the writing was awful, blah blah, usual complaints, but it didn't come together quite as badly as I expected and I enjoyed it for a few hours. But eventually this exact thing - combined with the subways, which I spent far too much time in before I learned my lesson - wore me down and drove me to hate. I don't understand how even Bethesda fans can enjoy it; they're ADD early-teens who love epic stories and explosions and Liberty Prime, where do they find it in themselves to enjoy yet another pointless hour trekking around an office building only to discover there was in fact no point in it?

I am happy for you POO POO MCBUM, and I am going to let you finish.

But back when the Point Lookout DLC came out, the leaked video playing the Village music (M. Sha-lal-man Night) was the best fallout experience of all time.

Epsilon

Cipher
I have far more fun with games like Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny, eventhough you use a keyboard most of the time in that game. Not much mouse support.
But I suppose some might enjoy what Fallout 3 has to offer if they don't care about story or things making any sense. But just want to see stuff blow up, which I suppose covers most of the console fanbase.
Fallout 3 also shows every evidence of having Consolitis according to Abandonia.

Consolitis is a very dangerous disease of the "selloutitis" family of viruses. It can cripple and even outright kill a PC game in it's tracks and has been spreading more and more over the last 5 years where it mostly affects successful games. Some of the symptoms of the disease are as follows:
- poor controls
- simplistic user interface
- shallow gameplay
- tired clichés and a lack of originality
- check points

UserNamer

Cipher
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:

maybe the add teens are actually playing outside or playing halo\call of duty, fo3 is more for the OCD crowd, the insane types who just like to collect pointless stuff and kill enemies for the sake of it. For them fo3 must be a paradise.

It also seems that many bethesda fan boys are disappointed from the lack of pointless, large combat filled dungeons in new vegas. So if they are going to be the target demographic for fo4, we can already be sure it's going to suck.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I tried to play Fallout 3 on two separate occasions. The first time, I got to the "[Intelligence] So you're fighting the good fight through your voice on Galaxy News Radio!" line and uninstalled after briefly reflecting on the fact that somebody got paid to write that. Second time was a year or so later and I tried to go through with some hardcore combat mod that universally amplified the damage. It was definitely an improvement, but you can only polish a turd so much.

CrimHead

Scholar
Racofer's favorite games (to the best of my knowledge)

Dragon Age
Mass Effect 1&2
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Kotor 2
Sucking Cocks
Anal Sex

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom