Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ITT: We fix flawed/bad cRPGs to make them great

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Oh I got some:

The Dark Spire
  1. A little less grind
  2. Remove THAC0
  3. Port to phones/tablets so it can be played during every waking moment
Arx Fatalis
  1. Arx Libertatis 1.2
  2. HD Remake
  3. Sequel

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Alpha Protocol:

1. Cop level design and stealth/disguise mechanics from Bloodmoney.
2. Make all bossfights optional (conversation based or clever solutions should always be available).
3. Increase Thornton's smugness 300%.

1. Do you mean Coop?
2. Good idea.
3. Mike Thorton can't get smugier. Even he wouldn't survive more smugness. Or would he?

Dragon Age: Origins

1. Cut the Darkspawn and get to the civil war right away.
2. More unique dialoge-options for the origins.
3. Put more Dragons in the and turn the story into an Dragon-Apocalypse. It's the Dragon Age, why's their role so small?

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I thought that codexers were the major defenders of RtwP on the internet. I guess times are changing.
No, it's always been this way: most Codexers defend TB combat while spending all their time and money on RTFPARPGS.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Arcanum:
- Smaller worldmap, less cities, less locations in general. A smaller game in general, more like Fallout 1 in size. Say, Shrouded Hills, Dernholm, Black Root, Tarant, Caladon. Maybe Quintarra. Few, but very well-handcrafted dungeons.
- Real-Time/Turn-based combat is cancer, kill that hybrid shit with fire. BUT, Arcanum is a big reason why we know so.
- Turn-Based, tactical combat. You can command followers.
- Better balance:
  1. Guns are strong and penetrate armor, but take long (APs) to reload and anything that's not a long arm is imprecise (as were the weapons of the time). Also, there are real bullet mechanics with proper modifiers and separate ammo, as in Fallout games. Early guns are propa muskets using powder and shot, later guns are Far West/Late victorian repeaters and revolvers. Shotguns are, well, shotguns.
  2. Melee weapons a bit less cheesy. Makes you wonder why people use guns in Arcanum
  3. A character system where Dexterity/Strength are not the supreme stats.
  4. Bows are not machineguns, their main advantage is easy to obtain ammo, no need to reload, indirect attack and the possibility of using exotic trick arrows.
  5. Magic has more of a price. (like random effects and spells going awry)
  6. Magic can miss. Seriously, fuck that shit.

I sign everything, except the size of the world map. I think it was as big as it needed to be and that all locations in the mainquest were necessary to tell the story. That's why Arcanum was my favorite game for such a long time before Fallout 2.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I disagree. Arcanum is what, the size of Fallout 2? That's totally the wrong way to go for your first game. They should have done a small-ish Fallout 1-sized game + slam dunk same engine enhanced sequel.

Normally I would sign that, but this time the big world fitted, because it made also the main quest feel big. The story was a journey and it felt like one. As for ugly: yeah, it isn't pretty, but at least there is an in-game explanation, why we have the Vendigroth Desert. But the combat was always bad, there is no defence to it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Fallout: New Vegas ported to the Fallout 2 engine.

The way it should have been.

You are free to suggest changes to the already existing game ("add DR on top of DT, like jsawyer did"), but not something like "scratch the whole game and make it on a different engine".

Well in the case I mention above, it would ACTUALLY improve the entire game experience. And actually fix it, and make it great.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Well in the case I mention above, it would ACTUALLY improve the entire game experience. And actually fix it, and make it great.

And you are saying my changes wouldn't? You are free to suggest your own, but saying "port it to another engine" is against the purpose of the thread, which is basically to improve on what we already have without changing the core experience too much.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
The Brazilian Slaughter gave me some thoughts, I had about Age of Decadence. I liked the game overall, but if I would remake it, I would

1. Concentrate all of it on Terron. Age of Decadence isn't a long game, but the most immersed I felt in the first city, Terron. It had clear conflicts, the most varriety and maybe it would have done the game some good, if the scope shrinked down to one city. There they could have perfected the mechanics and build upon this a bigger sequel. That said:

2. More of everything: Bigger city, more quests, more decisions and all locations are somehow connected to the greater narrative of one city at the edge of collapse.

3. Scale skillchecks down: the biggest problem with AoD was, that I felt that the checks in the beginning were mostly much higher than in the latter game and that in the end game, they weren't as important as before. Example: I need to skill impersionation for a small quest, but need no points in the end, to persuade a machine creature to help me. At some point I had the highest lore-skill (10) the game could offer, but all I got was some lore, without any practical purpose. That's sad, because the game does give you a wonderful feeling of success, when you did it right (my favorite part was hiring some bandits to plunder a mine, so my people don't get in conflict with the owners).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom