Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News It's ALLLIIIIIVE! Interplay website back from the dead

Saxon1974

Prophet
Fez said:
Clearly it is time for Lionheart 2. They can build on such great successes of the past.

Or maybe remake it but do it right this time. That game has so much promise, I really liked the idea of an alternate history....but yea the game wasn't very good.

Murk

Arcane
the barcelona portion, minus some crappy combat, was great. its just that they forgot to make the rest of the game past that point.

Having some original Fallout people doesn't always work out for the best. But I would believe it would have better elements than Fallout 3, despite being an MMO.

Saxon1974

Prophet
It's bittersweet for me seeing INterplay re-open.

It brings back memories of my youth playing their early RPG's that still hold a shrine in my heart.

On the otherhand I don't think they are gonna make a true RPG anymore, especially when I see an MMO. :cry:

I sure hope we get a single player RPG from them.

Ausir

Arcane
Mikayel said:
the barcelona portion, minus some crappy combat, was great. its just that they forgot to make the rest of the game past that point.

Interplay didn't pay them the promised money so they didn't bother finishing the game properly and just released it in an unfinished state.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ausir said:
Mikayel said:

Interplay didn't pay them the promised money so they didn't bother finishing the game properly and just released it in an unfinished state.

I didnt know that.....

Black Isle studios right?

But yea I do remember thinking the game started out pretty well.

Ausir

Arcane
Interplay wasn't developed by Black Isle Studios, it was made by Reflexive Entertainment. IPLY slapped the BIS logo on it because it was an RPG.

Fez

Erudite
I'm still surprised anyone would want to go work at Interplay with its history. I think it's like the "battered wife syndrome" with some of these guys. And to make a MMO of all things. Urgh.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
The site, developed over the last several months, is designed to improve the company’s communication with customers, investors, and partners.

You kids just be sure to ...... clean up all the jism off the floor when you're done. And don't forget to put out the trash.

kris

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
The site, developed over the last several months, is designed to improve he company’s communication with customers, investors, and partners. The new site includes forums based on past and future Interplay games, a customer support section, detailed information on the company and its products, and much more.

Its promising when it took them a couple of months just to get up a website.

Rosh

Erudite
Ausir said:
At this point I actually have more faith in FOOL than in FO3. Yeah, it's a MMORPG and the gameplay will likely suck, but I can't wait for new additions to the Fallout canon by the original creators.

Unfortunately not even Chris Taylor was enough to stop FOT from sucking, and we've already been over the "stat system doesn't make a game", else Lionheart might have been something other than a total failure and Bethesda might have a point about Fallout 3 being Fallout. Someone who pulled a stat system from their ass and an art "assistant" (as in, not the head of the art direction and taking cues from the lead despite 3 lead artists being named as art leads, and here I must note my disappointment at Jason Anderson) hardly constitutes "the original creators". Given the involvement of Chris Taylor in FOT and how the "Fallout" game design was better adopted by the producer and other folks in their continued work, he would appear to be much like BIS/Obsidian's Feargus Urquart, who mentally masturbates about inappropriate features or designs while the more competent folks work behind his back to bring the game to life.

But hey, if you're desperate enough to look for a paycheck from a sleazy Frenchman who still hasn't paid some of his employees, I guess you're allowed to work for Interplay.

This doesn't even BEGIN to touch upon the fact that now dozens of online products of the American public education system are going to be running around in a supposed wasteland town at the same time, unkillable NPCs present in a setting where life is supposed to be cheap, the list of setting breaking inconsistencies goes on and on as the topic has been beaten to death ever since NMA was using DCForum.

In that, Fallout 3 would be more Fallout than FOOL.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Rosh said:
Ausir said:
At this point I actually have more faith in FOOL than in FO3. Yeah, it's a MMORPG and the gameplay will likely suck, but I can't wait for new additions to the Fallout canon by the original creators.

Unfortunately not even Chris Taylor was enough to stop FOT from sucking, and we've already been over the "stat system doesn't make a game", else Lionheart might have been something other than a total failure and Bethesda might have a point about Fallout 3 being Fallout. Someone who pulled a stat system from their ass and an art "assistant" (as in, not the head of the art direction and taking cues from the lead despite 3 lead artists being named as art leads, and here I must note my disappointment at Jason Anderson) hardly constitutes "the original creators". Given the involvement of Chris Taylor in FOT and how the "Fallout" game design was better adopted by the producer and other folks in their continued work, he would appear to be much like BIS/Obsidian's Feargus Urquart, who mentally masturbates about inappropriate features or designs while the more competent folks work behind his back to bring the game to life.

But hey, if you're desperate enough to look for a paycheck from a sleazy Frenchman who still hasn't paid some of his employees, I guess you're allowed to work for Interplay.

This doesn't even BEGIN to touch upon the fact that now dozens of online products of the American public education system are going to be running around in a supposed wasteland town at the same time, unkillable NPCs present in a setting where life is supposed to be cheap, the list of setting breaking inconsistencies goes on and on as the topic has been beaten to death ever since NMA was using DCForum.

In that, Fallout 3 would be more Fallout than FOOL.

Bad news to hear from you again, Roshambo: Still fighting futile battles and spiting venom all around you? As long as we don't know anything about what CT and JA will have in store for FOOL you can't be so smug to rate the trite that FO3 is higher than FOOL, just because you tell everyone and his dog that the concept is retarded since 1999.

*Sigh* Why did Claw summon you again? The Fallout fandom has so many positive guys running around now, BN, Ausir, briosafreak and the new and revised Vault Dweller, but Roshambo always will be #1 @sshole of the year, eh?

This attitude doesn't make things better - and to prove you wrong: the first third of Lionheart was anything but a failure. It's only that Haerve went out of money for Reflexive so the game went to hell. And, for that matter, your so much hated "slam dunks" by good ol' Feargus are the best we get nowadays (read VD's MotB review, will you?).

P.S.: How's YOUR game coming along, anyway?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Sir_Brennus said:
*Sigh* Why did Claw summon you again? The Fallout fandom has so many positive guys running around now, BN, Ausir, briosafreak and the new and revised Vault Dweller, but Roshambo always will be #1 @sshole of the year, eh?

Sellouts and whores, all of them. Fallout needs more people like Rosh; people who get it, people who don't take it up the ass at the promise of candy.

Rosh

Erudite
Sir_Brennus said:
Bad news to hear from you again, Roshambo: Still fighting futile battles and spiting venom all around you?

Futile? I don't think so. Not when it makes people think twice about their mindless fanboying akin to "FOOL will be great because it has original developers working on it!" despite the fact that Chris Taylor was a miserable fuckup on FOT and Jason Anderson was not the fellow who wrote the core of Fallout's graphical theme. That's like getting Dr. Cat and one of Loubet's assistants to work on a title and try to claim it's going to be Ultima in any form.

Much like the sorry apologists who tried to claim that Fallout 3 will NOT be Oblivion with guns, but hey...GUESS WHAT AFTER FOUR YEARS OF YOU SWALLOWING BETHESDA LIES, RETARDS?

As long as we don't know anything about what CT and JA will have in store for FOOL you can't be so smug to rate the trite that FO3 is higher than FOOL, just because you tell everyone and his dog that the concept is retarded since 1999.

No, kiddo, it's because I've been playing and writing that kind of game probably before you were born. I know the mechanics quite well and know that they do NOT conduct well to a post-apocalyptic and desolate environment. For example, take a look at...just about every other setting that has made the transition to MMOG. Ultima Online was a nice idea until it had to be simplified and lobotomized for the Lowest Common Denominator, and then it ceased to be Ultima in any form as they added in White Trash Ninja appeal of ninjas, samurai, etc.. Warcraft lore has now been retchconned repeatedly in favor of "ZOMGLEWTS!" thanks of EQ addicts, and excused multiple times that many alterations as presented in World of Warcraft are not canon. Then why put it into the game? Canon is most commonly identified with published work.

Now imagine the bunch of retards in World of Warcraft trade chat running around in FOOL; I've had the misfortune to try out the game again recently on my sister's account as Blizzard comes up with hundreds of X-Box-esque "achievements" in order to superficially extend the game by appealing to the terminal cases of OCD that play their EQ clone that sucks balls in every way but graphics and sound. Would that be Fallout? Nowhere fucking close. Post-apocalyptic? Sure, if you consider it how the US is going to shit by catering to the stupid cattle (and in effect, the game industry), but nowhere near a darkly ironic post-nuclear wasteland that is the point of the Fallout setting.

It's also no coincidence that the UO failure Evocare is now working at Blizzard and still sucking as badly as he ever did.

Try to use your head before you try to chastise me, else you're just an easy target.

Not everyone is content to be a corporate whore. Hey, what a coincidence that we're talking about Chris Taylor and anyone else stupid enough to work again for Herve Caen's Interplay.

This attitude doesn't make things better - and to prove you wrong: the first third of Lionheart was anything but a failure. It's only that Haerve went out of money for Reflexive so the game went to hell.

Actually, since the combat and more were present throughout the entire game, I'd have to safely say the entire game was a mess despite how well-written the first part was. And if they worked through the game sequentially, that was their mistake in poor development.

Perhaps they should better off stick with what they are good at/used to, in Reflexive's case, Breakout clones and shitty Star Trek games.

And, for that matter, your so much hated "slam dunks" by good ol' Feargus are the best we get nowadays (read VD's MotB review, will you?).

Wow, that would be a first in...about a decade.

Settling for anything you get is kind of like...settling for Fallout 3 and FOOL, because they are all you are going to see of the Fallout franchise. I don't care to play another Fountain of Dreams, thank you. Let me know how the clowns...err, bounty hunters in Fallout 3 turn out.

Settling for anything you get is also akin to the dumbshit argument that Fallout fans should have been happy with F:POS and buying it would allow Interplay to develop Fallout 3, when in fact they had started and canceled it multiple times over the years, including for the sake of "Fallout Fantasy".

P.S.: How's YOUR game coming along, anyway?

Which one?

St. Toxic

Arcane
You realize that every time you leave, Rosh, these people plummet into the abyss of hype and dumbfuckery, right? Obviously it's not your responsibility, but I think you deserve to hear it.

Rosh

Erudite
St. Toxic said:
You realize that every time you leave, Rosh, these people plummet into the abyss of hype and dumbfuckery, right? Obviously it's not your responsibility, but I think you deserve to hear it.

*shrugs* Someone's gotta piss all over the hype parade, else people will believe the lies, bullshit, and constant abuse of the customers. I had just hoped that I could take a break while I go onto development work, but it appears that a lot of the industry and CRPG community have lost any integrity they once might have faked.

Alas, if only clones retained the experience of the originals.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Rosh said:
*shrugs* Someone's gotta piss all over the hype parade, else people will believe the lies, bullshit, and constant abuse of the customers. I had just hoped that I could take a break while I go onto development work, but it appears that a lot of the industry and CRPG community have lost any integrity they once might have faked.

Alas, if only clones retained the experience of the originals.

Learning disabilities prevent the imposition of lasting impressions; discouraging situation. I'd herd, but the pointlessness of it all is numbing. Probably better to clear the plate and start anew anyway.

EDIT: Also, do you have any photos of your sister? :cool:

Rosh

Erudite
Kingston said:
So, how is your game(s) coming along, then?

Fun, actually. The best thing was getting a few military veterans who knew how to program on board, who initially displayed dismay not because it was an indie project with little initial funding but because they thought modern video games were for stupid kids who had a bright future in the fast food industry. Then I told them to think outside of the X-Box and showed them Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Vampire: Bloodlines, and a few other games, and their opinions changed drastically. It's an interesting note to see that "old farts" and gunsloggers can pick up on the genres and game design (because of their affinity for tabletop wargames over the last 30 years, I'm guessing) while a lot of the media-educated children in the industry fail hard while regurgitating the PR spewings of their corporate masters.

So I capitalize upon both efforts and get a sociology thesis in addition. :D

St. Toxic: No pictures of my sister, at least none recent. Hell, the most recent pics I have of myself are from boot camp years and years ago, unless you count a nice nod in JA2 (http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/images/av ... ja2/62.gif Thanks for shrinking my large schnozz, Whelan. :lol:) Sir-Tech were some of my favorite folks in the industry, pushing the limitations of early computers to actually offer CRPG gameplay as much as they could, offering multiple endings depending upon what you do, in true PnP RPG fashion. They have been often imitated but rarely truly followed.

It is because of that which adds further confusion as to how Dim Wit Bradley could be such a colossal tard as of late. He's perhaps the only one who has worked for them for any time that I could have any loathing for. The last e-mail I ever sent him was an amazingly brief one line:

"You owe me $30 for Dungeon Lords, asswipe."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom