Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It is totally possible to avoid combat in Alpha Protocol

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Some Obsidian developer wrote: "Learned yesterday that it's possible to get through Alpha Protocol without killing anyone. That's kind of awesome."

Source: http://twitter.com/Obsidian_Ent/status/3250295388
What do you people think? Is this exploiting game mechanics or the true path of brave diplomat?

Discuss!!

spectre

Arcane
The real important thing is, is it totally possible to avoid all the 4 sex cutscenes in Alpha Protocol.

'Stealth' paths, konking folks over the head, and lots and lots of tranqs.

They've made too much of a big deal about their combat system to actually let you bypass it.

Multi-headed Cow

Didn't Pete say the exact same thing about Fallout 3?

That doesn't necessarily mean it's possible to avoid combat. It could still have unavoidable battles that you can finish with a tranquilizer dart gun or something like that. Though personally I'd rather have more inventive ways to murder people. More poison, fire, bombs, deadly insects, insane mechanical contraptions, and so on.

DriacKin

Arbiter
Still, it means that there aren't any bosses or main 'villians' that the game forces you to kill.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Uh... There are bosses that game forces you to kill. Remember Sie and a lame boss fight connected to her which is forced on you if you refuse to cooperate? Considering that after you win a fight she goes "muahaha I'll be back" then jumps on a chopper like in a good ol' anime crap - I doubt it will be the only boss fight.

bhlaab

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Uh... There are bosses that game forces you to kill. Remember Sie and a lame boss fight connected to her which is forced on you if you refuse to cooperate? Considering that after you win a fight she goes "muahaha I'll be back" then jumps on a chopper like in a good ol' anime crap - I doubt it will be the only boss fight.

You mean part of pacifist playthroughs involves picking dialogue choices that don't make you enter combat?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except that was a choice between killing guys with the help of her mooks and killing the exactly same guys and her mooks too. I wouldn't call that "pacifist" - lame, however, yes.

Do you even watch AP gameplay videos? I thought you were interested in this game much more than I do.

bhlaab

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Except that was a choice between killing guys with the help of her mooks and killing the exactly same guys and her mooks too. I wouldn't call that "pacifist" - lame, however, yes.

Do you even watch AP gameplay videos? I thought you were interested in this game much more than I do.

I know that its billing itself as having a dedicated stealth action path and that someone just tweeted that they played through it with no kills so I put 2 and 2 togther (it was 4)

And you're saying there's a forced boss fight, unless you circumvent it by cooperating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom