Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness It is time: Baldur's Gate 3 vs Starfield

Which is the greatest RPG of our times?

• Baldur's Gate 3

• Starfield

• If I knew this would be the choice in 2023, I would have cut my throat with a broken CD back in 90s

• kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rhobar121

Scholar
At the moment, given the poor reception of Shitfield, unless there is a huge surprise, the only competition for BG3 will be Zelda, which is practically a DLC.
Most people played BG3 but people here are either lukewarm or hate it.
At the current moment Jagged Alliance 3 may be well-recieved enough to take 1st. I also think both Colony Ship (November) and Rogue Trader (December?) will have enough attention to beat it.
At the moment, given the poor reception of Shitfield, unless there is a huge surprise, the only competition for BG3 will be Zelda, which is practically a DLC.
Most people played BG3 but people here are either lukewarm or hate it.
At the current moment Jagged Alliance 3 may be well-recieved enough to take 1st. I also think both Colony Ship (November) and Rogue Trader (December?) will have enough attention to beat it.
Colony Ship is a niche game that few people have heard of and even fewer will play.
Rogue Trader, if released this year, will be extremely buggy like Wotr.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Colony Ship is a niche game that few people have heard of and even fewer will play.
It's consistantly been the highest voted game on The List of Incline thread.
Rogue Trader, if released this year, will be extremely buggy like Wotr.
Not too different from BG3 then.
Are we talking about Codex goty or something important? This is a big difference.

Pathfinder at launch was much more buggy. At least I was able to finish Bg3, unlike Wotr.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Are we talking about Codex goty or something important? This is a big difference.
Yes.
If we're talking Dorito Pope awards then unless Alan Wake 2 is a masterpiece it's gonna go to BG3, not much room for discussion there.

BruceVC

Magister
I think the poll is unfair because we all know Bethesda games are buggy at release, its better to ask the question in about 6 months when mods and official patches are released for Starfield

But I do believe BG3 is a better game overall however you comparing a party based RPG based on D&D ruleset to a single character RPG. The former will always be better

Starfield will be a good game but BG design and mechanics is superior for me

BruceVC

Magister
Im not happy with Viconias appearance

I dont mean to be captious but its illogical, Drow can live for 1000 years and BG3 is set 120 years after BG2 so why make her look that old?
No the average drow lifespawn is 750 years.
https://agent-underdark.tumblr.com/post/133340588892/how-long-to-drow-live-the-forgotten-realms-wiki

Not according to this link, they can live between 700-1000 years

Zed Duke of Banville whats your take on this D&D lore question?

Self-Ejected
Im not happy with Viconias appearance

I dont mean to be captious but its illogical, Drow can live for 1000 years and BG3 is set 120 years after BG2 so why make her look that old?
No the average drow lifespawn is 750 years.
https://agent-underdark.tumblr.com/post/133340588892/how-long-to-drow-live-the-forgotten-realms-wiki

Not according to this link, they can live between 700-1000 years

Zed Duke of Banville whats your take on this D&D lore question?
I just quoted the manuals old and new. Elves in D&D have that lifespan.

BruceVC

Magister
So much lorefaggotery to cope with the sight of your teenagehood masturbatory fetish being an old hag
No its about realism and how someone cant age that much in 120 years, its not an unreasonable criticism of the decision Larian made around how Viconia looks in BG3

Because how old was she in BG2? 130-150 ?

Self-Ejected
So much lorefaggotery to cope with the sight of your teenagehood masturbatory fetish being an old hag
No its about realism and how someone cant age that much in 120 years, its not an unreasonable criticism of the decision Larian made around how Viconia looks in BG3

Considering all Viconia went trough she was a priestess of lolth his household fallen then embraced Shar and went to the surface. Thats quite a lot of stuff to do another raised your same question about the age at wich another used answered in detail but at the time of bg1 and 2 Viconia was already beyond adulthood she was not old that is for certain but the point is around 150 years passed between bg1-2 and bg3 she is old because she should be. I also believe Jaheira at the time of bg1-2 was a bit younger than Viconia.

House DeVir fell in 1297 DR, some 70 years before BG2, meaning Viconia is at LEAST 100 years old, given ~30 years of living in Menzoberranzan, becoming a Priestess of Lolth, and possible longer pre-exile.

BruceVC

Magister

Considering all Viconia went trough she was a priestess of lolth his household fallen then embraced Shar and went to the surface. Thats quite a lot of stuff to do another raised your same question about the age at wich another used answered in detail but at the time of bg1 and 2 Viconia was already beyond adulthood she was not old that is for certain but the point is around 150 years passed between bg1-2 and bg3 she is old because she should be. I also believe Jaheira at the time of bg1-2 was a bit younger than Viconia.

House DeVir fell in 1297 DR, some 70 years before BG2, meaning Viconia is at LEAST 100 years old, given ~30 years of living in Menzoberranzan, becoming a Priestess of Lolth, and possible longer pre-exile.
I dont want to belabour the point but it depends how long Drow can live for and how old she is supposed to be in BG3 because that would be an accurate reason for how she looks in BG3

Lets say for argument sake the average age of a human women is 80 years which means after 40 years they have reached half there lifespan. Now there are lots of very attractive women who are 40+ and they dont look anything as old as Viconia

And even if Viconia was 150 years at the end of BG2 that would mean she is now 280 in BG3 which is less that 50% of lifespan of 700 years and Im saying Drow can live longer than 700 years

So her age in BG3 doesnt make sense but I did find a reference that says she is supposed to be 600 years in BG3 but its just a Steam comment and I cant find the official reference in the BG3 wiki?

So the most salient question to this debate is " how old was she in BG2" and everything Im seeing is 120-150 years

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar

I dont want to belabour the point but it depends how long Drow can live for and how old she is supposed to be in BG3 because that would be an accurate reasons for how she looks in BG3

Lets say for argument sake the average age of a human women is 80 years which means after 40 years is they have reached half there lifespan. Now there are lots of very attractive women who are 40+ and they dont look anything as old as Viconia

And even if Viconia was 150 years at the end of BG2 that would mean she is now 300 in BG3 which is less that 50% of lifespan of 700 years and Im saying Drow can live longer than 700 years

So her age in BG3 doesnt make sense but I did find a reference that says she is supposed to be 600 years in BG3 but its just a Steam comment and I cant find the official reference in the BG3 wiki?

So the most salient question to this debate is " how old was she in BG2" and everything Im seeing is 120-150 years
There is no valid official source, so everything is speculation. The only date associated with her is the fall of her house, and it comes from a source other than the game.
If you want to argue about it for 10 pages, you're welcome, but it won't work.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Probably a good estimation, she left the underdark shortly before the fall of the DeVir House, which is the year Drizzt was born, so 1297.
The DeVir matron was the youngest back then, so something like 3 century old, no way she's older than her. She therefore was probably between 100 and 200 years old back then, add 70 years to that for the vent of BG1/BG2, and 120 more for BG3.
Also, it was obvious in BG2 that Jaheira was supposed to be more "mature" despite being technically younger than viconia, so her looking younger is pure nonsense, and it's just the usual spiel about uglifciation of the media.

volklore

Arcane

I dont want to belabour the point but it depends how long Drow can live for and how old she is supposed to be in BG3 because that would be an accurate reason for how she looks in BG3

Lets say for argument sake the average age of a human women is 80 years which means after 40 years they have reached half there lifespan. Now there are lots of very attractive women who are 40+ and they dont look anything as old as Viconia

And even if Viconia was 150 years at the end of BG2 that would mean she is now 280 in BG3 which is less that 50% of lifespan of 700 years and Im saying Drow can live longer than 700 years

Just out of curiosity how old do you think she looks lol ?
Because she does look 40+ to me in game, and jaheira looks older that her
baldurs-gate-3-how-to-defeat-virconia.jpg

BruceVC

Magister

I dont want to belabour the point but it depends how long Drow can live for and how old she is supposed to be in BG3 because that would be an accurate reasons for how she looks in BG3

Lets say for argument sake the average age of a human women is 80 years which means after 40 years is they have reached half there lifespan. Now there are lots of very attractive women who are 40+ and they dont look anything as old as Viconia

And even if Viconia was 150 years at the end of BG2 that would mean she is now 300 in BG3 which is less that 50% of lifespan of 700 years and Im saying Drow can live longer than 700 years

There is no valid official source, so everything is speculation. The only date associated with her is the fall of her house, and it comes from a source other than the game.
If you want to argue about it for 10 pages, you're welcome, but it won't work.
I realize that, I couldn't find definitive sources about her age in BG3 or BG2 so this debate is very subjective

Self-Ejected

Just out of curiosity how old do you think she looks lol ?
Because she does look 40+ to me in game, and jaheira looks older that her
baldurs-gate-3-how-to-defeat-virconia.jpg
There is also the time of the pre exile that is not mentioned so yeah it can be older.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Hmm... after poring over the ancient tomes and scrolls I have found concerning information regarding banging old elf grandmas. Elf vaginal Ph is unsuited to human wieners and can cause skin irritation and breakdown, they are also prone to prolapse after 800 years of getting railed by whole tribes of orcs so their crotch normally looks like a grenade went off inside of it. Less mundane problems include pussy hauntings by the angry spirits of 1000 miscarriages / magical abortions and tiny fungusmen travelling up your urethra and starting a tribal society in your renal system. Make sure your adventurers stay safe when trolling through elf retirement homes for sexy babes, since that's what you do in DnD now.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Unfortunately, the elves look a tad too human with cosplay ears.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom