Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Isometric action-adventures!

made

Arcane
Finished Bastion. Fun little game, despite the annoying narration and linear level design.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you're into puzzle games, there's a Humble Bundle on right now that has a game called "Back To Bed", where sleepwalking, M.S. Escher and Salvador Dali are running around in isometric harmony.

Last edited:

Orion

Cipher
Light Crusader for the Sega Genesis is an interesting game. I think a lot of puzzles involve jumping or some kind of physics though. It's made by Treasure.

HXvFyDu.jpg

made

Arcane
Yea guys Sanitarium is great and all as will be Stasis no doubt, but they don't play anything like action adventures, missing the whole action part.

made

Arcane
Years pass, yet my search endures.

To my great delight, retro action-adventures seem to be on the rise again. There's been quite a few I've enjoyed recently. Feel free to add to the list.

Tunic. Great puzzles and level design. Very fun all around.

Immortal planet. Slow and tactical combat, light on puzzles, some RPG elements, grim-dark story.

Hades. Tight combat and high production value. Experimenting with the different weapons was fun but the rogue-like level design got repetitive after a while.

Hyper Light Drifter. Fast-paced gameplay with lots of platform dashing. Hardest game on this list for me.

Machocruz

Arcane
Amazing timing, I've just been on the same search. Recalled this classic that always looked interesting to me, Solstice

10079636-solstice-the-quest-for-the-staff-of-demnos-nes-you-need-to-find-.jpg

And it's sequel, which I just learned about yesterday, Equinox

1162527-equinox-snes-this-skeleton-is-more-than-a-decoration-you-can-jum.png

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Amazing timing, I've just been on the same search. Recalled this classic that always looked interesting to me, Solstice

10079636-solstice-the-quest-for-the-staff-of-demnos-nes-you-need-to-find-.jpg

And it's sequel, which I just learned about yesterday, Equinox

1162527-equinox-snes-this-skeleton-is-more-than-a-decoration-you-can-jum.png
There's also the modern game Lumo which is a spiritual sequel.

Tim Follin nailed it with the theme song, and Lumo's elevator easter egg track also rocks, taken from the Your Sinclair UK magazine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Sinclair#Cover_tape

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom