Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Islands of the Caliph Released

SpoonFULL

Educated
Enjoying the demo. This is a mixture of lands of lore, dundeon hack, the quest and grimrock 2. Great gameplay loop, atmosphere and mechanics.

The keyboard controls are intuitive and make sense (almost all recently released and previous pc wizardry clones are keyboard based).

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The keyboard controls are intuitive and make sense (almost all recently released and previous pc wizardry clones are keyboard based).

The only problem with that statement is that it's not a Wizardry clone

Islands of the Caliph game dev said:
I wanted to reintroduce the *beauty* of a keyboard only control scheme. I really did. I remember when mouse controls were introduced to dungeon crawlers and that was right about the time I completely lost interest in them.

So, he lost interest in dungeon crawlers back in 1987 when Dungeon Master was all the rage and turned interest from Wizardry-clones to real-time dungeon crawlers, yet feels the need to make a real-time dungeon crawler instead of a Wizardry-clone. Weird

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Sort of reminds me of Shadow Caster - not in the mechanics, but in that it's a crpg that has the first person perspective down and not much else. Are there stats or levels in this game? Looks kinda bare bones.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I wanted to reassign keybindings and the game just displays 'Press the new key to assign to (...)'; nothing works and I have to close it.

What am I missing?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I wanted to reassign keybindings and the game just displays 'Press the new key to assign to (...)'; nothing works and I have to close it.

What am I missing?
I recommend just editing them in the config file instead of the game.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2

What am I missing?
I recommend just editing them in the config file instead of the game.
Thanks. I had to redefine 'strafe' also because the game says the defaults keys are 'cul' and 'cur', wtf?

...ANYWAY, this seems pleasant enough. Keyboard-only games tend to offer a nice flow for me. Stylish gfx :) and music. But why real time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom