Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is this art direction any good?

soggie

Educated
Hi I'm back. Yeah, nobody gives a fuck. Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys, is this isometric view art direction (as in, the final product will look like this) a good idea for an RPG?

Screen%20shot%202011-01-18%20at%204.50.03%20PM.png

soggie

Educated
All environments are hand-drawn, characters are cell-shaded 3d models. Well at least this is the plan.

It's gonna cost a lot though. Hope I don't fail my Barter check.

The buildings are too high except when you can't go there anyway. Thing is if you make all buildings that high most of the game takes place behind buildings where you can't see shit. As for the artstyle if that's for a postapoc game or sci-fi game with a depressive future, yes it fits.

soggie

Educated
SimpleComplexity said:
The buildings are too high except when you can't go there anyway. Thing is if you make all buildings that high most of the game takes place behind buildings where you can't see shit. As for the artstyle if that's for a postapoc game or sci-fi game with a depressive future, yes it fits.

There will be alpha-blending to show what's obscured behind buildings, and the landscape that is planned would look more like JA2 than what is shown on the sample image.

The idea is that instead of going full 3D or pre-rendered backgrounds, hand-drawn tiles might bring some uniqueness to an indie title.

PS: *silently anticipating criticism of floating exclamation-consoletard-marks*

soggie said:
There will be alpha-blending to show what's obscured behind buildings, and the landscape that is planned would look more like JA2 than what is shown on the sample image.

The idea is that instead of going full 3D or pre-rendered backgrounds, hand-drawn tiles might bring some uniqueness to an indie title.

PS: *silently anticipating criticism of floating exclamation-consoletard-marks*
I'd the describe the darkstyle as depressive, definitely pessimism instead of optimism. So the game you are making has to be pessimistic otherwise the artstyle doesn't fit to the game you're making.

The exclamation mark was an obvious joke, the Codexians(most of them anyway)are too smart to fall for that.

Quilty

Magister
Looks really cool, definitely go with this style. The people look a bit oversized when compared with the buildings. Maybe focus on buildings that aren't as tall so you don't have to think about proportions all the time? Or set it in a village or series of villages that only contain huts or smaller houses? I think Arcanum did this well since most buildings were of similar height.

Post some more as you go along or if you have more stuff. Not necessarily related to the game, I'd just love to see more of your art.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Note to everyone: this isn't an in-game screenshot yet, just an artstyle example.

And while I'd prefer the characters to not be cel-shaded as soggie suggested (which is a thing we can still debate about since the char models will be 3D anyway), these 2D backgrounds look incredibly sexy. Stylistically better than pre-rendered 3D background elements, definitely.

So: :incline:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Who's doing the artwork? Are you hiring someone to do it?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I think it's a fucking great artwork, I love the pessimism and post-apocalyptic vibe it gives, as SimpleComplexity said.

Just two things, please make the buildings proportionate to the characters and the rest of the world, don't keep them like that, might sound stupid but it drives me crazy when buildings/vehicles/anything aren't proportionate to the rest of the world.

And don't ruin it by using cel-shading on the characters, I don't think it would fit well with the mood of the above image, and the characters that can be seen there look sexier with that minimalist look, I would prefer sprites with those looks than any 3D model.

soggie

Educated
Alex Drummond. He did my previous two concept arts, and I have an ongoing contract with him to produce more.

Here's a previous concept art:

the-wildlands-concept.jpg

Here's the original art style (our own art assets)

irrlicht-02.jpg

So, should I make the switch?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I would, if only because the first image has more personality, the original art style also looks great, but more generic too. Reminds me a bit of the infinity engine.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
soggie said:
Here's a previous concept art:

the-wildlands-concept.jpg

I really like this. I would be tempted to make a point an click adventure game, if I had lots more like this one. Or I'd make it in 3D and try and imitate the lighting and colors. Very nice.

The programmer art you have is obvious programmer art.

The image in the OP looks okay if a bit artificial and toy like. If that's your intention it looks fine. I assume the oversize vehicles and people are part of the toy or board game look.

soggie

Educated
Zed, the first image is just a sample of the art style (hand-drawn isometric, thick and rugged lines, stylized draft-quality artwork). Buildings will be scaled accordingly to the 3d character models.

There are 3 incentives to change style: (1) it is much faster to draw it in 2D (about 50% less time) than to do it the original way, which has to go from high poly model (for normal and depth maps) to low poly, and (2) much more personality.

The drawbacks are (1) it'll cost more (more sprites to draw vs simple rotation-and-re-render of 3D sprites) and (2) it's less reusable (meaning we have to draw more sprites, which ups the cost).

Personally, I'm okay with the cost increase, because I can afford it. I'll have to postpone the purchase of my first house, but that's a relatively small price to pay.

Another thing to consider: Since the artstyle is unique to this guy, you'll always be dependent on him. Not saying he isn't trustworthy or something but if something happens or he suddenly demands more money or whatever may happen you're pretty much fucked. Then you're forced to find a different artist who has his own style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom