Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Is Level-Scaling Communism?

turkishronin

Arcane
If you play Gothic, you're told that it's a "free" world, and you can go anywhere. But in reality your path is set and if you stray from it you get one-shot by powerful foes. How is that different from freedom in capitalist society? Can you really have freedom in an open-world without level-scaling?

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
If you play Gothic, you're told that it's a "free" world, and you can go anywhere. But in reality your path is set and if you stray from it you get one-shot by powerful foes. How is that different from freedom in capitalist society? Can you really have freedom in an open-world without level-scaling?
Yes

Alex

Arcane

Level scaling is indeed like communism. Dumb, makes no sense and completely spoils the whole point of what it is trying to do (economy in the case of communism, exploration in the case of level scaling).

Sarkile

Magister
Patron

Level scaling is indeed like communism. Dumb, makes no sense and completely spoils the whole point of what it is trying to do (economy in the case of communism, exploration in the case of level scaling).
Similarly to communism, level scaling disincentivizes progression. I typically grow bored of games with this shit mechanic and quit before the end.

leuMOX

Literate
And here I thought it was just a simple way of temporarily gatekeeping areas and instilling a feeling of progress.

big-brain.gif

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Yes, that's why we should find and kill Todd because of Oblivion.. Also he's also a bloody comie.

Zayne

Scholar
If you play Gothic, you're told that it's a "free" world, and you can go anywhere. But in reality your path is set and if you stray from it you get one-shot by powerful foes.
Except you don't have to be one-shot. You can steal loot using speed potion/telekinesis, sell it, buy few epic scrolls and decimate dozen powerful foes in one strike, gaining a couple levels in process. This is indeed, free world.

Kruyurk

Learned
Kenshi does open world without level scaling right for many reasons.
  • The progression in power is slow, so the weaker enemies do not become trivial after a few hours.
  • Damage accumulation between encounters is important and healing in the wild is complicated, so encountering an enemy of a given strength is much different depending on whether your team is fresh or already beat up.
  • The progression in power is also gradual since the game is not level-based, which feels more natural and does not assign a level to enemies. You have to figure out the strength of enemies by their appearance, number, fighting them, etc.
  • The enemies travel inside the zones (which are not too sharply defined visually) and sometimes between them, and these zones are huge. So for a given location the danger is not the same depending on the enemies you come across by chance.
  • Avoiding encounters is a normal thing to do. You will not be blocked by enemies that are impossible to defeat for now, you can use stealth to bypass them or wait for them to move.
  • The game is good.

Level scaling is a tool used by cynical capitalists in order to increase sales of their hollow, focus tested products made without passion in order to make profit. There is nothing more capitalistic than level scaling. There is nothing more revealing about the nature of capitalism than level scaling.

BruceVC

Magister
I dont think the comparison makes sense , how is level scaling related to open world freedom?

They not related, level scaling is an irritating mechanic that generally erodes the immersion of a game and combat wont be as challenging. If you dont have level scaling of course you can still have real open world but you need to be selective of places until you reach the appropriate level to go to those places but it doesnt mean the games not open world

They not the same at all?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Not being able to buy overpowered ingame items with real life money is communism.
Why can't I buy a machine gun in Gothic? Why can't I bring my machine gun, that I bought AND I OWN into Skyrim, and into Diablo? I own it, why are these communists preventing me from owning my property in my game that I bought?

Communism, that's why.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Morrowind is an actual Open World RPG, and it almost entirely avoids level-scaling, instead having vast quantities of fixed enemies and treasures. Moreover, even a low-level character is capable of exploring large portions of Vvardenfell. The issue you describe is one of poor game design, not an issue with level-scaling or the lack thereof.

Not being able to buy overpowered ingame items with real life money is communism.
Why can't I buy a machine gun in Gothic? Why can't I bring my machine gun, that I bought AND I OWN into Skyrim, and into Diablo? I own it, why are these communists preventing me from owning my property in my game that I bought?

Communism, that's why.
This was unironically the argument that NFTbros were using to push it into games. Bored Ape Yacht Commune?

Üstad

Arcane

Communism, that's why.
Oblivion with private property.

Alex

Arcane

Communism, that's why.
This was unironically the argument that NFTbros were using to push it into games. Bored Ape Yacht Commune?

To be fair, using a machine gun inside Gothic might be the best use for crypto-currencies yet imagined.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yes, by gitting gud.
If you git gud enough you can go anywhere.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Communism, that's why.
Back in my day any self-respecting Dawi would just make their own organ guns.
Damned beardlings are a disgrace to their ancestors.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Real communism would be distributing a gf for anyone looking for one. You're not living under a real communistic system, are you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom