Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Honest Hearts DLC supposed to take 5 minutes to complete?

curry

Arcane
No, I literally finished this "DLC" in 5 minutes.

In the beginning the caravan gets attacked, I didn't start shooting until all caravan members died, and then I got a quest to "get a map" from the other side of the area. OK, I started walking there and every character who I met on my way started attacking me and I killed them. I get there, I grab the map from a jar and now the quest is finished and it says "Now you can leave back to Mojave Wasteland".

I could hardly believe it so I fast traveled back to the beginning, clicked the exit and the DLC's ending started rolling.

What the fuck, Obsidian?

Ruprekt

Scholar
theyre fucking with you mang

100210brain.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

You killed quest important characters, now you've gone and done it. NOW YOU'VE GONE AND DONE IT

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Re: Is Honest Hearts DLC supposed to take 5 minutes to compl

curry said:
No, I literally finished this "DLC" in 5 minutes.

In the beginning the caravan gets attacked, I didn't start shooting until all caravan members died, and then I got a quest to "get a map" from the other side of the area. OK, I started walking there and every character who I met on my way started attacking me and I killed them. I get there, I grab the map from a jar and now the quest is finished and it says "Now you can leave back to Mojave Wasteland".

I could hardly believe it so I fast traveled back to the beginning, clicked the exit and the DLC's ending started rolling.

What the fuck, Obsidian?
If you want to bash a developer, do it, it is not uncommon on the Codex. But don't try to be edgy by breaking the game and complaining afterwards. You really think that the DLC is 5 minutes long? Guess what, Fallout 1 can be finished in 10 minutes in a speedrun. Wow, the devs must be assholes!

In case you are just trolling: Fuck you for trolling me!

I'm guessing you accidentally killed a friendly tribal/companion that appears when you kill the last of the tribals that attacked your caravan. He's supposed to tell you about the place, his faction, the conflict etc, by killing him you probably turned his entire faction(& allied factions) hostile and have only the "steal the map" way out of there.

Although you'd have to be pretty retarded to not notice he's a unique npc and a quest-giver since the game showers you with "QUEST FAILED" messages whenever you kill such a character.

curry

Arcane
CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
I'm guessing you accidentally killed a friendly tribal/companion that appears when you kill the last of the tribals that attacked your caravan. He's supposed to tell you about the place, his faction, the conflict etc, by killing him you probably turned his entire faction(& allied factions) hostile and have only the "steal the map" way out of there.

Although you'd have to be pretty retarded to not notice he's a unique npc and a quest-giver since the game showers you with "QUEST FAILED" messages whenever you kill such a character.

Actually this is what happened, I accidentally killed a friendly tribal. I was fired at from distance and I shot back and for some reason the devs put a friendly tribal right behind the guy who was shooting at me. :roll:

And I got only 1 quest failed and instantly the new quest added when it happened.

Still kinda gay though. Shit like that shouldn't just happen. :lol:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well at least there is no handholding in this regard. If you don't watch out who are you shooting, shit happens. :)

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
That's pretty cool actually.

Imagine if there'd be a RPG where at the end someone from your past is proven to be the evil mastermind who had orchestrated everything from the start. Now, if during the prologue section you "accidentally" kill him, then the game just goes: ..and everyone lived happily ever after!

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That is kind of cool that you can kill the guide and keep going.

Well done Obsidian WELL DONE!.

Multi-headed Cow

Haba said:

Imagine if there'd be a RPG where at the end someone from your past is proven to be the evil mastermind who had orchestrated everything from the start. Now, if during the prologue section you "accidentally" kill him, then the game just goes: ..and everyone lived happily ever after!
You can (Sorta) do that in Temple of Elemental Evil. You can talk to the bad guys and say WAIT, I COME IN PEACE. TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER. Then if you convince the head bad guy you're a bro the game ends early and the bad guys win.

curry

Arcane
A moron? So it's my fault that the game can be accidentally broken in 30 seconds?

Also, this thread seems to be an excellent way to expose all the BioWare cocksuckers. :salute:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
curry said:
A moron? So it's my fault that the game can be accidentally broken in 30 seconds?
Accidentally? You killed a bunch of guys accidentally? You would be a terrible lawyer. :D

curry

Arcane
J_C said:
curry said:
Accidentally? You killed a bunch of guys accidentally? You would be a terrible lawyer. :D

Accidentally because usually in games you shoot back at the guys who are shooting at you.

Drakron

Arcane
FYI this ... crap been used several times in Bethesda forums, not even there it sticked.

curry said:

Nothing broke, you just failed the quest.

The hole is just getting deeper. I suggest we just say that some people need Essential tags, and leave it at that

Johannes said:
If shooting absolutely everyone to bits is the easy convenient way out, that seems kinda shitty design.

If you have a gun and there is no decent legal system in sight, shooting absolutely everyone to bits is always the easy convenient way out.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Multi-headed Cow said:
Haba said:

You can (Sorta) do that in Temple of Elemental Evil. You can talk to the bad guys and say WAIT, I COME IN PEACE. TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER. Then if you convince the head bad guy you're a bro the game ends early and the bad guys win.
Not a real RPG, but you can also do it in Blood Omen: It is possible to survive the brigand ambush as a human, after which Kain just fucks off into the sunset and the game's over.

Multi-headed Cow

Clockwork Knight said:
I suggest we just say that some people need Essential tags, and leave it at that
:obviously:

New Vegas was pretty good about not using essential tags. IIRC the only character in all of FNV that was essential tagged was Yes Man. You could kill everyone else. Dead Money obviously didn't have essential tags but had a gameplay reason to not let anyone die. Honest Hearts obviously lets you fuck it up. OWB has a SCIENCE! reason you can't kill everyone. Lonesome Road continues to be shitty by making ED-E indestructible, which I guess you can fanwank for much the same reason as Yes Man and say ROBOT DOWNLOADING INTO NEW BODY/SELF REPAIRING WHATEVER.

Edit: WAIT I forgot you can't kill children in FNV. :x

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
curry said:

Also, this thread seems to be an excellent way to expose all the BioWare cocksuckers. :salute:

Last time I checked, recent BioWare RPGs were so linear and hand-holding something like what you describe would never, ever be possible in them.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
curry said:
Still kinda gay though. Shit like that shouldn't just happen.
it should, but it should be better implemented and not have everyone turn magically hostile once you killed one faction member in a remote location and in what was clearly an accident.

Johannes

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Johannes said:
If shooting absolutely everyone to bits is the easy convenient way out, that seems kinda shitty design.

If you have a gun and there is no decent legal system in sight, shooting absolutely everyone to bits is always the easy convenient way out.
That should change when others too get their hands on guns though.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Actually, there is a script which makes Follows Chalk (the guy you were supposed to talk to) unkillable on this occasion. So you've been the victim of some funny bug. :)

SuicideBunny said:
curry said:
Still kinda gay though. Shit like that shouldn't just happen.
it should, but it should be better implemented and not have everyone turn magically hostile once you killed one faction member in a remote location and in what was clearly an accident.

Agree with the first point ("Yeah, on the Wasteland it's every man for hims- did you see that guy just steal that other guy's pencil? HOLD ON BRO WE'RE COMING"), but I have no idea how you could make a game understand it was an accident.

For NV there's the "wield" feature (hold Block and then start a conversation), but I think it only works for minor stuff like agression and stealing.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Surf Solar said:
Actually, there is a script which makes Follows Chalk (the guy you were supposed to talk to) unkillable on this occasion. So you've been the victim of some funny bug. :)
funny but not in any way rare. i killed him on the first try as well, but had to reload after getting stuck in some shitty scenery and falling to my death when trying to get out of it and it worked fine afterwards. the fo3 engine is awesome like that.

Clockwork Knight said:
Agree with the first point ("Yeah, on the Wasteland it's every man for hims- did you see that guy just steal that other guy's pencil? HOLD ON BRO WE'RE COMING"), but I have no idea how you could make a game understand it was an accident.
it's doable but not really worth the effort and i just added it for emphasis. mechanics for survivor/witness detection would be nice though, in place of that unlimited range telepathy.
npcs having a faction value or even multiple faction values instead of faction flags, which would determine the effect of you doing favors for or killing them wouldn't hurt either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom