Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Dark Souls overrated?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Comparing DS to Dragon's Dogma makes very little sense. The first one is a narrative masterpiece, the second an admittedly fun romp.

Max Damage

Savant
What's wrong with Arkham Asylum? Apart from meh bosses, I found it to be one of the most fun games.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
It's the king of games which play around the dodge/light attack/heavy attack gimmick which you found everywhere (Shadow of Mordor, Sleeping Dogs etc.).
It's lazy design which revolves around a simplistic stone paper scissor mechanic but delivered through slick and amazing® animations giving you the impression that you're not actually playing Simon.

It ultimately leads to this.

TBH Arkham Asylum was short and atmospheric enough to be good but Arkham City got obnovious despite the cute mr freeze set piece fight.

Ryzer

Arcane
Comparing DS to Dragon's Dogma makes very little sense. The first one is a narrative masterpiece,
Nobody plays Dark Souls for the narrative, the story or the lore.
It's the king of games which play around the dodge/light attack/heavy attack gimmick which you found everywhere (Shadow of Mordor, Sleeping Dogs etc.).
But Dark Souls has exactly that attack gimmick too.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Fallacious non argument which doesn't start to contradict his point. Whether people play the game for a reason or another doesn't and couldn't alter the game's characteristics.

To immediately illustrate my point, I don't read your stupid takes to laugh, and yet I find them extremely funny.

But Dark Souls has exactly that attack gimmick too.
I am not surprised you don't understand the difference between implementing an automatic attack, which targets and lands by itself on the enemy, and which fails or succeed depending on a predetermined stone paper scissor mechanic, and implementing x movesets depending on the spell.weapon you wield.
You get more and more retarded by the postcount.

Last edited:

Ryzer

Arcane
I am not surprised you don't understand the difference between implementing an automatic attack, which targets and lands by itself on the enemy, and which fails or succeed depending on a predetermined stone paper scissor mechanic, and implementing x movesets depending on the spell.weapon you wield.
You get more and more retarded by the postcount.
I don't really get what you mean because many weapons in Dark Souls have the same movesets than other weapons. It ain't Bloodborne.
Furthermore, you are comparing a beat em up (Batman Arkham Asylum and Middle earth) and an Action RPG.

Silva

Arcane
Nobody plays Dark Souls for the narrative, the story or the lore
The whole community formed around exploring and interpreting the game's story and lore contradicts this assertion.

(my personal experience too, as unraveling their lore and narratives are a big reason of playing soulsborne for me)

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I like Dark Souls but it's too formal about certain things to be named the best gaem evar. I don't like how every little detail of the game has to ultimately tie into the same story, every weapon, every armor set. It doesn't feel like you're discovering them, they don't feel like your own spoils. They feel like elements of a story someone is telling you. This club isn't yours, it's Havel's. This chainmail armor isn't yours, it's the Furtive Pygmy's. What do all these areas have in common? You? No, Gwyn.
In comparison, Dark Souls 2 is more scattershot and lets each area have more of a life of its own. Granted the backstories aren't always good, sometimes they're nothing, but the items in Souls 2 felt more mine because of that. Like, it had a previous owner, but I'm more important than him. That's why I did so much more fashion souls in 2, not just because there's more options, but because when I get that giant stone axe for my caveman costume, I like knowing that's my axe now. That I'm not desecrating a historical artifact, I'm using a tool that is the fruit of my own effort.

The level design, as varied and moody as it is, also felt like very conventional action game fare. They all feel like you're meant to beat them, I almost never felt like I wasn't welcome there, whereas in Demon's Souls that was the case at all times. Remember those flying manta rays that shot spears? That's what I'm talking about. More jank, more unfairness, more dick behavior.

These are more of a matter of preference, but still, worth pointing out.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Nobody plays Dark Souls for the narrative, the story or the lore
The whole community formed around exploring and interpreting the game's story and lore contradicts this assertion.

(my personal experience too, as unraveling their lore and narratives are a big reason of playing soulsborne for me)
Lorediving was the most fun thing about Souls 1, alongside the memes during 2014-2015

Max Damage

Savant
I still don't get what do Arkham games have to do with Dark Souls or what's exactly wrong with the combat, but ok. Do tell me how Dark Souls advanced the industry because I'd love to play more game like it.

Ryzer

Arcane
I still don't get what do Arkham games have to do with Dark Souls or what's exactly wrong with the combat, but ok. Do tell me how Dark Souls advanced the industry because I'd love to play more game like it.
You can play Nioh 1-2 and Salt and Sanctuary if you haven't had enough.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
At times it's like From wanted you to feel bad for using its special weapons and armour sets. Like you're taking part in a process that is eroding away this magnificent civilization and its relics. In Souls 2 it's more varied, there's items with grandiose lore, but some have a more realistically unassuming backstory (chariot lance), or even feel like they never existed until you forged them (drakewing ultra greatsword), so they will serve a better purpose on your larger-than-life quest than they ever did before. And Demon's Souls? If you insist I'm not welcome here, then fuck you, nigger. I'll break your shit all I want. It makes you feel like even more of a badass.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
when compared to the current competition in video games
It literally pushed the industry forward in an age when the norm was Uncharted or Batman Arkham Asylum automatic gameplay, flat and unoriginal cinematographic narration. It fucking transcended this moron-infested industry.
Nobody cares you retards, so what if it was made at muh time in the peepties and poopties? Who cares? You think souls fans in 10 years are gonna give a shit about uncharted and arkham city? If you wanna treat games as art, then judge them by their own objective merit, not by pop culture context. What you're doing is like giving the game a special olympics trophy.

God, I hate this line of thinking. You think anyone ever read Gogol and went ''this is really good, but many russian writers were good in the 1800s, so I guess fuck this guy.''?

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It literally pushed the industry forward in an age when the norm was Uncharted or Batman Arkham Asylum automatic gameplay, flat and unoriginal cinematographic narration. It fucking transcended this moron-infested industry.
Nobody cares you retards, so what if it was made at muh time in the peepties and poopties? Who cares? You think souls fans in 10 years are gonna give a shit about uncharted and arkham city? If you wanna treat games as art, then judge them by their own objective merit, not by pop culture context. What you're doing is like giving the game a special olympics trophy.

God, I hate this line of thinking. You think anyone ever read Gogol and went ''this is really good, but many russian writers were good in the 1800s, so I guess fuck this guy.''?

You realise.. you rate games against their contemporary games in the same era.
The real question is will they go back to smaller worlds now that Elden Ring has sold so well.
Oh, and no one cares about your opinion either, not in 10 years, not now.

fork

I've been playing games for 30 years now.
Dark Souls is a masterpiece and peak From Software, period.

Because it has a deeper story than all these cut-scene-infested non-games, that you can ignore if you're just in it for the gameplay. Among dozens of other reasons mentioned in this thread.

The real question is will they go back to smaller worlds now that Elden Ring has sold so well.

It's kinda irrelevant.
Even if they return to a smaller scale, their expectations regarding ROI will be higher, so further decline is guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

The fallacy of the argument is that this thread is not about whether Dark Souls is a great game or not, but whether it is overrated, which is where the state of gayming when it first was released kinda matters in determing whether its reputation is warranted or not.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Comparing DS to Dragon's Dogma makes very little sense. The first one is a narrative masterpiece,
I bet you think they play it for the hitboxes, mosquito combat, and the Bed of Chaos fight.

One of the things that elevates DS above the mundane is how you can -- if you want -- piece together many stories of varying scopes, from local to global, if you're paying attention to item descriptions and object / enemy placement. These narratives gradually unfold in front of you over many playthroughs. You can of course ignore this aspect of the game, but since it's constitutive of what makes it great, your opinion in this case isn't worth much.

Vlajdermen

Arcane

The fallacy of the argument is that this thread is not about whether Dark Souls is a great game or not, but whether it is overrated, which is where the state of gayming when it first was released kinda matters in determing whether its reputation is warranted or not.
That'd only be relevant if you were trying to argue that it is overrated, not that it's not.

Ryzer

Arcane
I bet you think they play it for the hitboxes, mosquito combat, and the Bed of Chaos fight.
People play Dark Souls for the basic (but effective) gameplay,the attributes system and for the level-design. How much time have you spend reading in this game? and compare it with how much time you have been in combat then draw a conclusion.
One of the things that elevates DS above the mundane is how you can -- if you want -- piece together many stories of varying scopes, from local to global, if you're paying attention to item descriptions and object / enemy placement. These narratives gradually unfold in front of you over many playthroughs. You can of course ignore this aspect of the game, but since it's constitutive of what makes it great, your opinion in this case isn't worth much.
I don't get it, the storytelling is very shallow, It talks about a great past you can't see in the game. It relates to epic stories that you can't admire in your own eyes. In the end it feels disconnected and you (at least for me) end up just not caring about it at all. I wish I could play what it told me instead of reading that it happened.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom