Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Baldur's Gate worth playing?

Ladonna

Arcane
I preferred the area that Baldurs gate was set in. I preferred the lower levels. I preferred the 'areas' as Volourn puts it (Any magic candle/Ultima fan would like that more than the scripted 'paths' in BG2).

BG2 is a newer game, with more options, dialogue, etc. Its a better game overall, but I still enjoyed certain parts of BG1 more.

Play BG1 first is my advice. The story will make more sense.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeha, it should be pointe dout, whether one thinks BG1 or BG2 more, if you ar egonna play both; best to start with BG1. It's only friggin' logical.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
hey u can even export over your main char over and keep some of his loot if you want to. Pretty much a really rare feature you see nowadays. And the party feels more alive in BG 2 after you experienced so much with them in BG 1. Better plot build up IMO.

Ladonna

Arcane
For sure. Along with the fact that you can Tutu BG1 if you are a pussy.

It was a decent ride. Only finished it once though using my female human paladin with the fake Russian accent (Or whatever it was supposed to be).

Surgey

Scholar
One thing I never liked about the Infinity Engine games is how goddamn hard the combat was! I mean, at times it felt like you had to enter combat to see what you were fighting, load your game, set spells, rest, then go in prepared. At times, it really seemed like you had to get everything right.

Also, having a good AC was nothing compared to good HP.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
LOL One person in this thread claims the combat is supert easy and another says it was super hard. Opinions are for morons. Thankfully, everything I write is FACT.

Muahahahahahahahaha!!!

kris

Arcane
Lumpy said:
However, they forgot to mention that the dialogue is also boring and mindless. Having visited 4 towns so far, I haven't found one interesting character.

Ehum. didn't you like ES games?

Texas Red

Whiner
kris said:
Lumpy said:
However, they forgot to mention that the dialogue is also boring and mindless. Having visited 4 towns so far, I haven't found one interesting character.

Ehum. didn't you like ES games?

BG dialogs are bad. You dont even have the option to ask for rewards before taking on a mission. So the only way to play an evil character is to REFUSE quests.

Lumpy

Arcane
And that is pure evil.
kris, I played Morrowind before playing any other RPGs, so I couldn't really compare it to anything. However, I would say that some of the Morrowind dialogues were more interesting than the ones in BG. Besides, MW had the big fucking world feeling, which BG doesn't.

Texas Red

Whiner
Lumpy said:
And that is pure evil.
MW had the big fucking world feeling, which BG doesn't.

I dont know about the first one, but the Bioware sure did a good job at making the world of BG 2 feel alive.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah i don't mind exploring country side in BG1. but if u add morrowind interesting dialog into play then I gotta say no. I walked thru a bunch of diseased barrren area in Morrowind and encounter a hut with one guy inside. Nothing interesting to say, just another generic NPC.

There's got to be a reason why he's here in the middle of the wilderness where a bunch of plagued stuff lurk about. But nothing. He just sits there...give training a bit.you can ask a lot of topic but wouldn't say anything unique like any passerby in Balmora.

Lumpy

Arcane
Yes, 90% of the NPCs have generic dialogue - it is, however, based on faction, race, class, etc.
But the quest givers do have unique dialogue, and some of it is fairly interesting. They have personalities, something I haven't noticed in BG so far.

Lemunde

Scholar
I remember when I first saw one of my friends play Baldur's Gate. My first reaction was "Awesome! You can kill NPCs!!" But when it got down to it the gameplay was boring as hell. There just wasn't enough to do. I guess I was looking for something with more actual gameplay rather than an interactive story or a choose your own adventure. NWN had the same problems, although there were slightly more things you could do and the toolset was fun to mess around with(I made my own radiant ai :P ). Infact all of these DND knockoffs have this problem. Too much story, not enough game. I thought the whole awesome thing about DND was that you could do anything. Well in these games you can move, fight, and choose among a small list of replies to dialogue. Fun...

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
But the quest givers do have unique dialogue, and some of it is fairly interesting. They have personalities, something I haven't noticed in BG so far.

Don't worry, it gets better in the sequel.

mirrorshades

Liturgist
I submitted an "I didn't like this game" review for BG on MobyGames, and it got sent back to me with an approver comment along the lines of, "Are you sure you just didn't give it a chance? A lot of other people seem to like this game. Why not try it some more before passing judgement."

Apparently, if you submit a dissenting opinion they will call you on it. I guess my review didn't fit in with the other ones that describe the game as "a dream comes true", "a groundbreaking RPG", "excellent", and "an absolute classic". :)

LCJr.

Erudite
mirrorshades said:
I submitted an "I didn't like this game" review for BG on MobyGames, and it got sent back to me with an approver comment along the lines of, "Are you sure you just didn't give it a chance? A lot of other people seem to like this game. Why not try it some more before passing judgement."

Apparently, if you submit a dissenting opinion they will call you on it. I guess my review didn't fit in with the other ones that describe the game as "a dream comes true", "a groundbreaking RPG", "excellent", and "an absolute classic". :)

It's up now.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/b ... erId,1728/

Lumpy

Arcane
""Baldur's Gate" is a real RPG in the sense of allowing you to make choices. It is not as open-ended as Fallout, but is is nevertheless very flexible. I remember starting the game once and doing nothing but killing the cows you see in the first location. I was just hacking the poor cows down, when the town's inhabitants came and made me understand more closely how the cows felt when I was murdering them. Another time, I was stealing everything I could see, taking two thieves in my party and becoming the general nuisance of the Forgotten Realms. In any case, you can choose to do what you like in the game, taking any quests you want, and fighting anybody you want. This is the actual meaning of role-playing."
This sounds very familiar...
Was Baldur's Gate the Oblivion of the golden age?

Limorkil

Liturgist
First part of BG is pretty tedious. I hate everything up to when you finish the mines of Nashkell. Mainly I do not like how it throws 3 settlements at you early on: Candlekeep, Beregost and that Inn that is really a fortress (forget the name). I generally prefer action/combat broken up with some diaglogue here and there, and the initial part of the game just has too much dialogue. It does not help that the first real "dungeon" - the mines - is really boring. I guess with level 1 characters you cannot do too much, but after being ambushed by 4 kobolds for the 90th time it gets dull. Once beyond the mines the game gets really good, and I prefer it to most of BG2.

BG2 is probably the better game overall, but the pacing and plot development is stupid. "OMG Imoen has been kidnapped and is probably being tortured at this very moment: let's go find romance, obtain a hideout and kill a few dragons before we rescue her." Only Oblivion is more stupid.

Fresh

Erudite
Limorkil said:
BG2 is probably the better game overall, but the pacing and plot development is stupid. "OMG Imoen has been kidnapped and is probably being tortured at this very moment: let's go find romance, obtain a hideout and kill a few dragons before we rescue her." Only Oblivion is more stupid.

Ya, that was weird. I was so not in the mood to go rescue that whiny tramp. I had liches and stuff to kill first.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"BG2 is probably the better game overall, but the pacing and plot development is stupid. "OMG Imoen has been kidnapped and is probably being tortured at this very moment: let's go find romance, obtain a hideout and kill a few dragons before we rescue her."

Fuckin' moron. You are fuckin' stuipid. Did you even play the fuckin' game? Fuckin' idiot.

1. The game requires you to gather 10k gp to buy your way onto the boat. That's it; that's all.

2. You don't have to complete the vast majority of quests.

3. Your motivation to go didn't have to do with your wench of your sister. It could be due to the fact that Irenicus wants you and your soul. Moron.

4. All the game does is give you a CHOICE. If you take the CHOICE to jerk off doing a bunch of SIDE QUESTS that's your fuckin' CHOICE.

5. Irenicus wants to lure you to the island to play games with you and STEAL your soul. He needs two, afterall. One for him, and one for his siter. Idiot.

6. You could ignore Irenicus, and just play tiddlywinks in whatever stronghold you get.

Moron.

Play a fuckin' game. understand a fuckin' game. Before, you fuckin' criticize a fuckin' game.

For fuck sakes.

P.S. R00fles! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom