Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is anyone getting Divinity 2?

Phelot

Arcane
I really want a new game and since I enjoyed the last Divine Divinity, I wonder if the second one will be any good. I plan on getting it. Most of the screens look pretty WoWish and the whole dragon thing is kinda lame. I'm pretty tired of dragons and I actually never thought they were cool.

So, anyone gonna get it? Do tell!

quasimodo

Augur
I really liked DD, but they got rid of the ISO view and point and click gameplay and went multiplatform so I have decided to wait and see. I don't much care for the OTS view and WASD key movement style of gaming. They will have to nail every other aspect of the game and I don't trust them that much.

ricolikesrice

Arcane

unsure about it. i was looking forward to it as a hack n slash mostly, not expecting serious RPG business (from previews/the first german review it sounds like story is pretty generic with a focus on lulz - mind you i dont care much about that if its a GOOD hack n slash ).

i m a bit more worried now after the first review. it got a good score (83/100) from gamestar, then again i really dont give a fuck about a gamestars recommendations.
what worried me however is that even them (gamestar) said the game was way too easy and has just one difficulty mode. also sounded like 1 button combat where no tactics are needed.

not good for a hack n slash.... gotta wait for some other reviews.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: ...

ricolikesrice said:
not good for a hack n slash.... gotta wait for some other reviews.

Krawall.de has a 81% review up.
They basically say that the game could have been better without the "fly around as a dragon"-mode that is in the last third of the game. Other than that, some C&C (even if minor) seems to be in, good interface, good start into the game, nice character building, etc.

Andhaira

Arcane
Does flying affect scale? I mean is flying just an animation or can you truly fly up and down and check out the world frmo a greater height?

ricolikesrice

Arcane
well he got a point, you are complaining about things that are pretty much granted in a hack n slash game i.e. exlamation marks over NPCs, combat clickfest and generic "epic" storylines. whats next, complaining about too much shooting in a FPS ?

what s really important considering this is a hack n slash is that so far 3 mainstream reviews said its combat sucks.

i imagine for a hack n slash game this could be a bigger problem then some lame DRAGONS ARE COOL story.

I didn`t complained about it, i just pointed it out. Too bad that exclamation marks, epic storylines and bad combat are a good indicator of the final quality of the game. How about people who are hack`n slash fans start to complain about the dialogue trees and choices and consequences they`ll find. Great logic, ricolikesrice.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
SimpleComplexity said:
I didn`t complained about it, i just pointed it out. Too bad that exclamation marks, epic storylines and bad combat are a good indicator of the final quality of the game. How about people who are hack`n slash fans start to complain about the dialogue trees and choices and consequences they`ll find. Great logic, ricolikesrice.

i dont really understand what you mean

what i meant was the following:

DD2 is supposed to be a hack n slash game, not serious RPG business. As such a game that s primarly about combat, loot, character progression and exploration.
just like the first DD.

Of course as with ALL games -not matter the (sub)genre- a good story (something more interesting then some dude turning into a dragon and fighting against the archnemesis of some generic fantasy land) and atmosphere (not seeing shit like exclamation marks above peoples heads... ) would be welcome.

Wouldnt you agree though that in a hack n slash game such a bad story is easily forgivable .... just like the shitty combat in fallout, arcanum, PS:T or MOTB is easily forgivable considering they are not that much about combat ?

Your post sounded like you were dismissing DD2 based on it looking like a diablo-clone, when its pretty much supposed to be one (the first DD was one of the better diablo-clones). Which of course makes sense if you dislike diablo-clones in general, then again there s not much point in posting threads about games of a subgenre you dislike ?

Anyhow, whatever. Too bad that this diablo clone apparently has some things right that i m looking for in "serious" cRPGs ( lots of quests with multiple solutions, mind reading sounds pretty well implemented) but since its still a hack n slash, i fear shitty combat as claimed by the reviews so far will ruin it.

Mystary!

Arcane
Spoiler! The first npc you see in that video, Isobel, accidently kills herself with her own shoulderpads in the end, true story.

@ricolikesrice:
First of all, the media(even that youtube video says RPG) and maybe the developers themself call it a straight RPG. Usually you would expect it to be called Action-RPG. Ok but that`s just the general decline.

Well, Divinity 2 has on the hack-n-slash side bad combat (according the reviews you read), on the RPG side generic fantasys setting and storyline which makes reading mainstory dialogues painfully. Some sidequests, maybe some C&C. It looks like both genre fans won`t be very pleased in the end. There might be something good to be found in character progression and exploration. Graphically not my case. Some people here praised Drakensang, i could tell from the demo it`s medicore(usually i would say "shit") and reading more codex opinions prooved me right. I`m expecting the same for Divinity 2.

Which of course makes sense if you dislike diablo-clones in general, then again there s not much point in posting threads about games of a subgenre you dislike ?
I dislike Diablo-clones because most of them suck, here i was hoping for some decent implemented RPG elements, hence my dissapointment.

Wouldnt you agree though that in a hack n slash game such a bad story is easily forgivable .... just like the shitty combat in fallout, arcanum, PS:T or MOTB is easily forgivable considering they are not that much about combat ?
Might be forgivable but it makes the overall experience worse than it could be. Gamers should critisize those things, not ignore them.

Luzur

Good Sir
i will porb torrent/demo it before buying, but as long as they keep the feel of DD and the detailed world im fine.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I loved DD but when I heard it was going to be a console and PC game I... lost interest.

Remember the fucking awesome The Longest Journey? Well when they decided to make their next game on PC and Console, remember how fucking awesome THAT turned out.

Granted they are different companies. I'll wait until the codex gives it an 11/10 before I get it.

Double Ogre

Scholar
It will have achievements (even on PC)! Can't wait to play this masterpiece of an RPG!

Saxon1974

Prophet
The original DD has crap combat, actually the mass amounts of it was the worst part of the the game. But the great atmosphere and music more than made up for it.

From what I have seen this will be another average FPS hack and slash game.

All the RPG's coming out are looking like the same WOW style console game. At some point someone needs to do something different!

Hopefully we will get som reliable codexer review soon. (And not skyway!) Im thinking someone like Jasede would be good.

Jasede, get to it!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
OgreOgre said:
It will have achievements (even on PC)! Can't wait to play this masterpiece of an RPG!

Now now, how would you know you've accomplished something unless the game told you? Having to think for yourself isn't the new shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom