Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Is Alpha Protocol RPG Enough?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I think the issue is that 99% of the games that brag about having multiple paths end up being utter bullshit (See: Everything Bioware does)."

What's utter bullshit is the nonsense you spew as you pretend it's actually true. BIO games DO have multiple paths. This is FACT.

Not really. You can either act like a complete retard evil doer or a complete retard good guy for 40 hours. One's experience isn't inherently different from the other. At most you'll get some flavor text or a cutscene about whatever mwahaha evil choice you made.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Gnidrologist said:
Big guns? You can use them having zero skill with slight reduction of speed/accuracy that didn't matter anyway, because you blow the stuff up with them, not make headshots while sprinting.
Actually, Big Guns CAN be useful. With Master, you one-shot the biggest mecha with a GEP gun while moving on standard speed. Useful late-game.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Well from what I read, this is good enough for me. I wasn't expecting an RPG. Also this is a discussion about C&C, not branching paths. Those are different things, people.

slamelov

Novice
An Interview to Chris Avellone:
http://grupo97.halconesrojos.com/index. ... einterview

Matthew Rorie has also said Alpha Protocol will display the most typical RPG elements including NPC's interactions, even sleeping with them. I understand player will be able to build complex relationships then. Is it correct?

True. Even your hated enemies will see value in allying with you at points depending on your personality and mutual goals, you can reason and blackmail with masterminds, and even cause several antagonists to re-evaluate their goals. You can have romances, "no"-mances (our anti-romances, and boy, can some of the women hate you), suffer loss, make friendships, and even bask in the crazy joy being completely unpredictable and fucked-up with some of the folks in the game.

You said that the moral ambiguity of Alpha Protocol will be closer to Fallout 1 and 2, which is very promising. Could you please explain how is this system being developed?

Alpha Protocol doesn't attach a moral absolute to the main character - instead, we track the player's attitude and individual NPC's perception of the player's morality and ethics. Basically, the player gets judged by the NPCs, but his morality isn't a number or scale attached to him personally.

Basically, the world paints you as a saint or demon - but even that's too simplistic for people's attitudes in AP, since each of them has a different perception of right and wrong. Each NPC brings their own morality judgments to the table - so saint/demon can translate into sympathetic, worthy of respect, friendship, object of romance, aggressive shithead, etc., but in terms of you judging yourself? Hell, you're just doing a job. You know why you did what you did to get the job done, the world be damned.

slamelov

Novice
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Ah AP, the game that got trolled straight into the next year.

I would like to know what is the reason for the delay...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom