Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ironman

Should Irontower impliment the changes as I described?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dagorkan

Arbiter
That's just being stupid.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I see we're keeping the spirit of Saint alive by making his favourite spelling mistake (in the poll).

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Elwro said:
I see we're keeping the spirit of Saint alive by making his favourite spelling mistake (in the poll).

It won't let me edit the poll question. Its pretty sad when non-native english speakers correct my spelling. Damn you.

One Wolf

Scholar
I think ironman mode would be a marvelous addition to the game. I admit I have a nasty case of savegame-itis, and will likely play through once normally. For normal play, things should basically be the same as other games, multiple slots etc. But if the game turns out as described, then replayability will be a significant factor, and playing ironman would be icing. Uber icing, with all sorts of narcotic properties.

I would avoid too much constriction in regards to normal play, I just see it alienating more people than it would draw.

Severian Silk

Ironman, no autosaves. I hate it when the computer does stuff without asking.

[edit]
Crap, I should have voted "No".

miles foreman

Scholar
Roqua said:
Autosave: Of course. The game should save as often as possible. The important part isn't getting people to not task-manager and end the game when they know combat will be lost so they can go back to the autosave. If you are going to cheat on Ironamn, why not just play the normal mode described above?
Why does it matter to you? It's a single player game, right?

Otherwise, I completely agree with your reasoning because I'm a compulsive quicksaver too.

EDIT: I just realized the futility of my quote. Has Roqua been seen since the e-penis throwdown?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
miles foreman said:
Roqua said:
Autosave: Of course. The game should save as often as possible. The important part isn't getting people to not task-manager and end the game when they know combat will be lost so they can go back to the autosave. If you are going to cheat on Ironamn, why not just play the normal mode described above?
Why does it matter to you? It's a single player game, right?

Otherwise, I completely agree with your reasoning because I'm a compulsive quicksaver too.

EDIT: I just realized the futility of my quote. Has Roqua been seen since the e-penis throwdown?

I don't understand the question. People's big gripe with ironman is losing everything due to a crash or whatever, if the game atosaves, that is a big thing you don't have to worry about. And I realize the futility of all my posts.

Will Roqua be playing on Ironman now, or will he just scream incoherently at his keyboard and throw poo at the screen?

If it will make be be accepted better I will :P :P :P :P :P :P :shock:

Thats why I have started playing FPS games so I can fit in and be cool with all the kids :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

While I am quite a huge ironman fan in games like Fallout(two times completed) or FPSs(and not in games like Torment where I start to cry hysterically when my trusty companions die, or like Arcanum which is completely ironman unfriendly and you die for stupid combat reasons like stonedudes coming from a mile and punching you in cock furiousiously)
I fail to see a fuckin single point in creating ironman mode in any game,
if you want to play ironman mode, you just play it, what are you afraid of? cheating yourself?

And if it's only for bragging rights for friends with a proof, I say shit on fuck it ain't. I can just copy my savegame during playing in some other folder. Aod can try obfuscate savegames in some obscure conf files or whatnot but why bother?

I say just make it sensible and cuddly enough to play ironman(not like in Arcanum) and that's it.

Perishiko

Scholar
In my opinion, Ironman should start you off with lower stats or reputations. Oddly enough, I only play ironman in games when I want a real challenge... Normaly after playing it through.

In a little game I made, I had it save the game automaticly after any important choice, death, attack/pickpocket, ect...

I absolutely despise my self control when it comes to not trying every possibility. When I put this in, I realized that the player would either have to live with what happened or start over.

After I did this, I had to make sure every option gave an "interesting" outcome. While I couldn't exactly fuck over the character, certain things would cause the game to slide up in it's difficulty.

At first, my game had death being permanent... But, that doesn't allow for too much fun on the type of game I had. I ended up adding in an afterlife/reincarnation/hallucinated death kind of thing. Depending on your religion or lack there of, one of the three would happen.

(This game was made through the playstation 2 "RPG Maker 2" -- I wasn't able to finish it the way I wanted to. Funny enough, the game played out pretty good till what I would call my "middle turn point". At which point, I had your character drop dead, the screen change colors and state "The End.")

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom