Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ironman

Should Irontower impliment the changes as I described?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I hate to bring up something else when you are so close to release (Thursday, right?) but I was hoping to get some clarification on this topic.

I know you said that when you lose a battle you get knocked out instead of killed most of the time, but that still doesn’t rule out the benefits of adding an Ironman mode.

Losing the ability to reload at any time forces you to live with your choices and leads to much more involved roleplaying. Reading through the difficult games thread just made me realize that people just don’t understand that no game is hard if you can just reload and keep trying. For instance, I’m playing ufo:et now, I went a couple turns without saving, and put a guy right next to a door in a base attack that two aliens poor out of. I don’t know how many times I had to reload but he eventually got a break and lived through both attacks. I could name a million different scenarios, but it’s self-evident. The ability to reload, especially saving and reloading during combat, just nullifies any challenge the game could’ve possibly provided.

Want to know a difficult part of FO 2 combat wise? There isn’t one, not if you have the patience to save and reload enough.

One of the highlights of your game is choices and consequences, which is marginalized with saving and reloading.

Non-Ironman mode is basically bitch ass pansy mode, only fit for gays and little girls. Is that your target audience? It is your solemn duty to not only provide an Ironman mode, but also to remove regular mode. Or rename regular mode to sissy mode and have your editor add in gay dialogue responses that are the only available choice while in sissy mode.
Example:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/images/8.jpg

“It’s iron my friend…draws weapon…don’t you?”

1. Oh My!!!

Also, in sissy mode you still can’t save and reload during combat. You can only save during non-combat times. The character also has to wear a pink dress. We’ll let the player equip the character in regular gear, but the paper doll and character model will always be a pink dress.

Maybe there could be a regular mode, but in regular mode you only have one save slot available, can’t save during combat, but if you die you can reload up the save. Also, you can’t reload. The only option is “save and exit.” That way, you have to live with your bad choices, or at least not reload and play through all choices and see which you like best. You have to shoot from the hip and live with it.

Then of course, the man mode. Ironman. “Save and exit” only. You die and save is deleted.

Then you have a mode called, “I have huge fucking balls mode.” IHHFB Mode is Ironman, but all the npcs have double the hitpoints, and the pc only has half.

Look at the name of the studio, Iron Tower, that’s basically a synonym for a penis that is hard like iron, or Iron Penis. Only men have penises. That basically means you have to have ironman or you failed your studio. Do you want to be a failure? Its time to man-up Serge, and start ordering your people to start working on pink dresses and gay dialogue, and have your programmer start working on deleting save games on death and making sure there isn’t corrupted saves or ctd’s that would screw ironman over.

I don’t know about the rest of your audience but God gave me two beautiful humongous and hairy balls and a body that produces testosterone, and my balls don’t think they can take another game that was developed for kids, retards, and women who avoid all instances of difficulty and challenge. This game is supposed to be made for adults.

Think of this as an opportunity to also make more money. You could sell a LE edition for twice the price that has sissy gay mode that is called “normal” and doesn’t have the pink dresses or gay dialogue.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I don't think that adding the ironman mode will take a lot of time, and since we are not really trying to kill your character, it could be an interesting option.

Since you are the expert here, should the ironman mode offer more/special rewards for your bravery? Bonus stat-points/skill-points when you create your character, more skill-points during gameplay (say, 1 extra point for every 10 points earned), or something else?

galsiah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Since you are the expert here, should the ironman mode offer more/special rewards for your bravery? Bonus stat-points/skill-points when you create your character, more skill-points during gameplay (say, 1 extra point for every 10 points earned), or something else?
No. Don't incentivize it for players who wouldn't want it anyway.
Players should be playing on Ironman for one reason: the size of their testicles. A man with huge balls needs no extra incentive beyond the chance to demonstrate his manhood. A man without such balls should not be coaxed into a real man's game with the promise of extra goodies - he'll end up not enjoying it.

There's no harm in including an Ironman mode as an option, so long as you do nothing to encourage it for the average player. You've been developing the game assuming non-ironman play for ages. The chances are it's better balanced for the average player under those circumstances. Don't start coaxing that average player into a play style he's going to enjoy less.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Vault Dweller said:
I don't think that adding the ironman mode will take a lot of time, and since we are not really trying to kill your character, it could be an interesting option.

What galsiah said in his first paragraph. His second paragraph was hippy nonsense though.

edit: just to expand, there is an intrinsic reward. Playing poker for fun with friends can be enjoyable, but playing for cash is much more intense. Playing on Ironman will enhance everything, every point you have to spend on chardev, every dialogue response, every combat choice, etc. When you come to a crossroads in gay mode, you just thing, "how much time will I lose if I reload and do it different?" in Ironman you just focus on the choice. "What would my character do in this situation?" Or "Oh, Shit. If I don't pay attention and play this careful, I'm fucking dead." No second chances, you have to live with your mistakes and try like hell not to make any. Every choice that makes you sweat or second guess yourself is the reward that Ironman mode gives. Every tough combat you barely scrape out of. Or every battle you try like hell to avoid just so you won't die. That leads to real roleplaying. That leads to a real story and a game worth taking the time to play.

If you haven't yet, I suggest playing ToEE on Ironman, its a totally different game. They definitely balanced it around ironman.

MisterStone

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:

A smack-down montage reel after the end credits roll, showing your character landing each insta-kill critical blow made during the course of the game. Kick ass.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I don't think I would ever play an ironman mode for a game like Age of Decadence. Unless I really wanted to challenge myself on a replay. Yeah, it makes everything so much more intense, real RPers ironmode, blah blah blah. I'm only human and can make stupid mistakes getting my character killed. Or many times want to make sure I'm exploring every option before proceeding.

If its easy enough to add, feel free. Just realize only a tiny percent of players would be interested in it. I mean, why invest in a game that may be for ever lost to you?

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Greatatlantic said:
If its easy enough to add, feel free. Just realize only a tiny percent of players would be interested in it. I mean, why invest in a game that may be for ever lost to you?
This is how I felt at the start of the thread. But after reading
Roqua said:
In Ironman you just focus on the choice. "What would my character do in this situation?" Or "Oh, Shit. If I don't pay attention and play this careful, I'm fucking dead." No second chances, you have to live with your mistakes...That leads to real roleplaying. That leads to a real story and a game worth taking the time to play.
and realizing I get
MisterStone said:
A smack-down montage reel after the end credits roll, showing your character landing each insta-kill critical blow made during the course of the game.
Fuck yeah, I'll be playing IHHFB mode.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Kingston said:
But if your computer crashes on ironman mode...
Quit being a pussy. Real men know how computers work and don't cause them to crash with their dancing hamsters screensavers.

Fez

Erudite
It could be made like the roguelikes, only one automatically used save slot. Then bugs wouldn't be a problem and you could come back to it after a break too.

OverrideB1

Scholar
Hell Yeah, I'll play in Ironman mode -- whether it's implimented or not, whether there are bonuses or not, whether you want me to or not :P ('Cause that's the only way I play RPGs anyway).

Lomer

Liturgist
I think that an Ironman mode will be a great addition to the game but only if the game is stable enough to guarantee that our only save will not be corrupted (I still remember how my Ironman save in ToEE was damaged right after I finished the Moathouse). One of my most fun memories is when my 2nd level group in ToEE met 4 ogres as a random encounter in Ironman mode.

Globbi

Augur
Kingston said:
That's a good point, it doesn't have to be often but it may happen that your PC crashes like once during the whole game. Maybe there should be a very often autosave if it won't be noticable. I have no idea however how such autosave system would work so that it couldn't be abused for player's gain.

John Yossarian

Magister
Globbi said:
Kingston said:
That's a good point, it doesn't have to be often but it may happen that your PC crashes like once during the whole game. Maybe there should be a very often autosave if it won't be noticable. I have no idea however how such autosave system would work so that it couldn't be abused for player's gain.
They could delete the autosave upon player exit,like the Firefox restore thingie. Of course there are ways to abuse that, but IT shouldn't waste time in taking any further measures, since anyone going to such lengths to abuse Ironman mode shouldn't be using it in the first place.

Mayday

Augur
Uh... what Fez said.

Also, the inclusion of Ironman would be a very good choice indeed.

Also also, maybe a Copperman, with autosaves created at crucial points of the game so you don't have to replay from the very beginning? :PPP

Jinxed

Liturgist
Ironman with an autosave option... Say every hour or so. That would keep me from going apeshit if my comp crashed.

Also, there is no load option while in ironman, so to actually load, someone would have to alt tab from the game (to keep it from saving while quitting), close it, and then restart it and load an autosave.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Greatatlantic said:
I don't think I would ever play an ironman mode for a game like Age of Decadence. Unless I really wanted to challenge myself on a replay. Yeah, it makes everything so much more intense, real RPers ironmode, blah blah blah. I'm only human and can make stupid mistakes getting my character killed. Or many times want to make sure I'm exploring every option before proceeding.

You missed this part:

Maybe there could be a regular mode, but in regular mode you only have one save slot available, can’t save during combat, but if you die you can reload up the save. Also, you can’t reload. The only option is “save and exit.” That way, you have to live with your bad choices, or at least not reload and play through all choices and see which you like best. You have to shoot from the hip and live with it.

That way you have to live with your choices, but you don't lose everything if you die.

Autosave: Of course. The game should save as often as possible. The important part isn't getting people to not task-manager and end the game when they know combat will be lost so they can go back to the autosave. If you are going to cheat on Ironamn, why not just play the normal mode described above?

In ToEE I don't have to worry about losing my game if it crashes or freezes, but for some reason ToEE has a big problem with corrupted game files. I lost two Ironmans to corruptes saves. I never had a problem with that in any other game, like Wiz8's ironman.

If you want to save and reload and try everything your first time through without having to live with your choices, thats what sissy mode is for.

But look at the poll, there is plenty of interest in Ironman, and if not ironman, then at least the normal mode as described above. And maybe instead of have it save to one file, it could save to two exact same save games. That way if one is corrupted, the other one wouldnt't be? I don't know how that works, or if one is corrupted, the same copy of it would also be corrupted or not.

Section8

Cipher
Ironman is for fags. Want the proof?

92751__ironman_l.jpg

obediah

Erudite
Section8 said:
Ironman is for fags. Want the proof?

92751__ironman_l.jpg

Hey, I liked Iron Man as a kid, he and Daredevil were my two favorite vanilla super hero comics. Of course I hadn't tasted sweet pussy at that point, so I guess I was a fag by definition.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have to admit, I don't usually fancy ironman. But considering AoD is easy on the death thing, being forced to stick with the consequences of my actions is intriguing.
I sometimes try to force myself to do that... but I don't always find the strength.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Claw said:
I sometimes try to force myself to do that... but I don't always find the strength.

Me too, thats why I need Ironman. It doesn't allow me to do my OCD save/reload until everything is perfect and I tried everything and know this way is the best way. It forces me to play games right, they way they should be played, and in a much more enjoyable and enhanced way.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Mayday said:
Uh... what Fez said.

Also, the inclusion of Ironman would be a very good choice indeed.

Also also, maybe a Copperman, with autosaves created at crucial points of the game so you don't have to replay from the very beginning? :PPP

I think I'd go for that... Copperman, please.

Lumpy

Arcane
Nickelman - autosave every 10 minutes, but whenever you die last 2 saves are deleted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom