Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inxile and Obsidian are making good games

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Only decent Obsidian game I can remember was MOTB. F:NV was ok, but was still too close to FO3 to pass "meh" level.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Weird. I've played a lot of flawed games all the way through... Most classics are flawed but fun anyway.
Yet I'll be damned if I can bring myself to play much past raedric's hold or the first half of WL2. Not that those are the good parts per se, that's just when my interest finally flatlines completely.
What unbelievably, fundamentally uninteresting games... They manage to be less than the sum of their parts or something.
They're like the Korean/Chinese copycat MMO -versions of the real thing.

I hear researchers let test subjects play POE as the ultimate test of the effectiveness of mental-focus drugs. So far no dice. They did manage to gather lots of data on the lethal dose of Ritalin though.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Ok guys it's the 2nd page, no one reads threads after the 2nd page, everyone can start bashing Obsidian and Inxile how shit they are :troll:

Would you like to wait another 6 years for another Underrail? Or around 5-6 years for the next ITS hit?

Sure. I'll wait if that's how long it takes to make a quality product. Why settle for less just so you can play it sooner?

I'm waiting 17 years for another Fallout game and there is nothing
If you haven't played it, Fallout 1.5 Resurrection feels like a new fallout. Unlike most mods, they've mostly got the BIS Fallout tone, world and quests.

You mean BIS Fallout 1 or BIS Fallout 2 tone?:P

Last good Obsidian game was Stick of Truth. Pains me to say this, but they make great games for IPs they don't own. Alpha Protocol being the exception, and naturally had tons of flaws.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Would you like to wait another 6 years for another Underrail? Or around 5-6 years for the next ITS hit?

Sure. I'll wait if that's how long it takes to make a quality product. Why settle for less just so you can play it sooner?

I'm waiting 17 years for another Fallout game and there is nothing
If you haven't played it, Fallout 1.5 Resurrection feels like a new fallout. Unlike most mods, they've mostly got the BIS Fallout tone, world and quests.

You mean BIS Fallout 1 or BIS Fallout 2 tone?:P
Definitely 1.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter

Yes. While i was waiting for Underrail i played timeless masterpieces (Adom, Fallout, Gothic, Geneforge series etc.). Now i am waiting for next ITZ (Grimoire) coming and nothing has changed :cool:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I really find it funny when people say "Obsidian" makes good games, what Obsidian? The one before the layoffs that only Sawyer survived or the one after it? PoE and Tyranny are really mediocre affairs. Obsidian is made of ex MMO developers with exception of a few semi retired Black Isle developers now.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Agree about Obsidian, they are making great games.

Meanwhile InXile... well, they have another shot with T:ToN.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I have a feeling in my bones that InExile will deliver with T:ToN, but let's see.

Obsidian are flawless, however. I don't even need to see screenshots, previews or interviews. Everytime a new product of theirs goes green on pre-purchase, I buy that shit at full price. I don't even need to play the games themselves (started playing Pillars only about a month ago), I just know it'll be worth the money.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Definitely 1.

I'd say it attempts the tone of 1 but falls short of getting it right. Not a bad effort though.
I'll take it one step further, it's the best effort I've seen to mimic a game's tone of any mod I've ever played (F:NV and BG1/2 principally), but yes, it isn't a facsimile. Some of the crudeness and harshness is a bit too on the nose, and the degree of faction lockout is more pronounced than in Fallout 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom