Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay snags up White Wolf's Exhalted rights

Anonandon

Novice
triCritical said:
One of the things I enjoy about C++ is the Standard Template Library (STL) and templates in general.
They are a step above macros but have a lot of extra problems that make them problematic when implemented poorly (ie STL, which for STL Port is itself is implemented almost entirely in macros with only the interfaces templates).
triCritical said:
Two weeks ago I wanted create an algorithm using imaging technigues. I would have loved to have had things like the queue, stack, vector and map classes at my disposal.
Really? You never heard of void*? You never heard of macros? Also, see above.

triCritical said:
Instead I had to kind of recreate a half ass thing in C without the real power of classes and it my idea turned out not to even work. It was just a big a waste of time. As for templates, in one of my physics classes in graduate school I wrote a matrix class, that essentially worked of matrices, (didn't have access to the pre-built matrix class). Anyhow whenI got my job over 2 years ago, I translated it to see and recently incorporated into the software we are making. The problem is that someone needed a floating point version of it and now we have two of every function.

I admit C++ is fatter, slower and often times more difficult to read, but it can make your life easier. When optimazation and clean code is important I will always use C.
There's no real benefit to using C since you can do anything in C in C++ and have a few nice features amongst the crap and VC++ will compile C and C++ exactly the same these days anyway.

If your C++ is more unreadable then you are doing things wrong.

Yes I realize this post is 8 years old. You better have improved since then boy.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why do people read threads on the last page of this forum and respond to posters who don't even read the Codex anymore?

Also, STL is fine for code that isn't time-critical. I only write my own library for, say, a binary search tree when execution speed is a big factor. Then again I'm lazy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom