Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay reopens development with Jason Anderson on board

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Joe Krow said:
Bethesda will buy the rights to Fallout MMO long before this version ever sees the sun. (I suspect they are already working on TES Online).

No, they're still gathering a team.

And Bethesda doesn't need to buy the Fallout MMO rights. Nor can Interplay sell them. Interplay either makes the game or loses the rights to Bethesda, period.

obediah

Erudite
Brother None said:
Joe Krow said:
Bethesda will buy the rights to Fallout MMO long before this version ever sees the sun. (I suspect they are already working on TES Online).

No, they're still gathering a team.

And Bethesda doesn't need to buy the Fallout MMO rights. Nor can Interplay sell them. Interplay either makes the game or loses the rights to Bethesda, period.

Nothing is ever that simple.

A scenario where Interplay development of a Fallout MMO limps along enough to meet the letter of the agreement without anything coming from it while trying to milk more money from bethesda for an outright purchase seems pretty plausible to me.

denizsi

Arcane
Nothing is ever that simple.

A scenario where Interplay development of a Fallout MMO limps along enough to meet the letter of the agreement without anything coming from it while trying to milk more money from bethesda for an outright purchase seems pretty plausible to me.

Bethesda, or rather ZeniMax, is rather aggressive with legal sides of the things, I guess. At least the whole way Bethesda and TES were snapped by ZeniMax gives me the impression. So when there is an agreement that says "If you won't release the game until 20XX, you will lose the rights", I see it as difficult to come up with workarounds. Development as a semi-open beta project, maybe.

Briosafreak

Augur
to milk more money from bethesda for an outright purchase seems pretty plausible to me.

A purchase of what? They own the franchise, have their own MMO studio, why would they spend money when they don't need to?

DarkSign

Erudite
Speaking from a legal standpoint, I wouldnt be surprised if there was language to the effect of keeping the MMO product similar to FO3 or the FO cannon, to insure they're cohesive (read: they arent totally fucking different and fuck up the franchise).

obediah

Erudite
Briosafreak said:
to milk more money from bethesda for an outright purchase seems pretty plausible to me.

A purchase of what? They own the franchise, have their own MMO studio, why would they spend money when they don't need to?

From other posts in the thread, it seems Bethesda can't make a Fallout MMO unless Interplay fails to meet certain critera in making a Fallout MMO. If Interplay does meet those critera, Bethesda can still make an offer to buy the Fallout MMO rights.

Briosafreak

Augur
If Interplay does meet those critera, Bethesda can still make an offer to buy the Fallout MMO rights.

Well not exactly, Bethesda owns the rights, they just licensed them with some pretty harsh terms.If they want them back they would try to revert the deal, saying it is null, not "buying" anything back.

Still I get your point, you are saying that in the case Interplay conforms with the legal terms (a miracle is needed here, that's for sure) Zenimax Online might terminate the licensing deal giving a compensation to Interplay? Yeah, if that's what you mean it is possible, well thought.

Not very probable though, but possible.

Ausir

Arcane
I can't believe anyone (let alone someone like Jason Anderson) is still naive enough to trust Herve on anything. I guess it's because Jason left before Herve bought IPLY and hasn't experienced firsthand what a sneaky bastard he is. I guess Jason will also be working on the FO MMO when (if) they start working on it.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So how long before Jason realises those cheques Herve's giving him are going to bounce?

Deleted member 7219

It would certainly be ironic.

But unlikely, since Bethesda/Zenimax hold the rights to TES and a lawsuit would push Interplay six feet under forever.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Section8 said:
I'd laugh if the non-Fallout MMO project was Elder Scrolls Online.

Bethesda is too careful with its milkcow franchise for that, but dang, that would be funny.

Uz0rnaem

Scholar
DarkSign said:
Who'd you rather have Beth or Interplay developing something so foolish.
If I had to choose, I'd definitely go with Interplay, mostly because I want my awful Fallout corpse rape games to be financial disasters.

Koby

Scholar
Keender_surprise said:
CEO Caen said Interplay is "now focused on a two-pronged growth strategy."
From the same paragraph:
..As we are working to secure funding for the development of a Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMOG) based on the popular Fallout franchise, we are at the same time exploring ways to leverage our impressive portfolio of gaming properties through sequels and various development and publishing arrangements."
Does Interplay still owns anything? As in high profile franchises, high enough to drawn anyones attention?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
DarkSign said:
Didnt Interplay already have an MMO project before this? Titus? or some Malaysian game starting with a B? (sorry, i try not to keep up with Caen on purpose)

No. They were financing some indy MMO project of which I can't remember the name. They pulled financing pretty quick when they stopped having money.

Does Interplay still owns anything?

Descent, Earthworm Jim, MDK, Dark Alliance, Battle Chess, Lost Vikings.

Not a shocking portfolio, but there might be a game in there somewhere.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
DarkSign said:
Didnt Interplay already have an MMO project before this? Titus? or some Malaysian game starting with a B? (sorry, i try not to keep up with Caen on purpose)
http://www.ballerium.com/
Your average run-of-the-mill RTS. Come to think of it, it was a perfect match.

Brother None said:
Descent, Earthworm Jim, MDK, Dark Alliance, Battle Chess, Lost Vikings.
Man, I'd love to see a new Descent. Earthworm Jim and Lost Vikings are both old time favourites of mine. They would make for perfect handheld games, let's just hope they license them out to a worthwhile developer.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Actually, come to think of it, Lost Vikings might be held by Blizzard.

Yip, there is, they did a Gameboy advance version. Demo available online

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom