Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

INSOMNIA_The_Ark

Studio Mono
Developer
Well hope not! I tagged him on Twitter so he can take a look. No idea what happens next. Todd is not on Twitter (neither Tim Cain is, although I have his email haha).

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why does this game look so good?

Hopefully the combat mechanics and enemy A.I. have gotten some last minute tweaks, 'cuz this really does seem appealing.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Hopefully the combat mechanics and enemy A.I. have gotten some last minute tweaks, 'cuz this really does seem appealing.
And don't forget the UI! They ruined such beautiful UI which perfectly fitted and added to game atmosphere and instead went with minimalistic space on screen taken, maximum shit Skyrim's/Ubisoft's transparent UI. Old UI was work of art, I shit you not!

Difference between the two is so huge that I suspect they fired their old savant UI designer and instead hired that lady nun from Spanish monastery responsible for this:

YS4bLaBE3LUyQYOc5sp8krE0TmO56VGa.jpg

Stygian Reign of the Old Ones does UI superbly and so DID this game. Well no more. Why? No dev ever gave reasonable answer. Why? Cause I think it can't be given because sacrificing beaty and atmosphere for increase in practicality while old UI was pretty practical and could have been made even more so with tweaking is plain weird. Just dumb.

Old UI was just so
incline.png
and new one is such pure
decline.png

I asked them for option in menu to switch between the two (simple, elegant, win-win solution) and all I got was - .............

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Comparison pics?

Sure

The previous prestigious, modern old-school Fallout inspired one:

7DyJ5as.jpg

The new, transparent, Ubisoft like, Skyrimesque, bland, near non-existant UI. No, really, they hide their UI more then muslims do their wives, it's so hard to find any pictures of their new UI, I managed to find mostly in video form for a split second or two here and there and of course current weapons equiped in the bottom of screen. It's so consolized that it makes Halo's UI look cRPG in comparison:

4657c1f2e10c44d0e02cfeabe45a698e_original.png

I mean come on....you gotta acknowledge their console UI agenda. It's so transparent, pun totally intended. :troll:

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I asked them for option in menu to switch between the two (simple, elegant, win-win solution) and all I got was - .............
All you got was this answer.

Ok that was memory test, and you passed. I feel you Ruskie bro, I too would have hard time justifying desecration of such beaty as was old UI.

Can you answer one totally objectively not biased question: Why does your team like UGGGGGLY UI? It's ugly as sin, as David Gaider's wedding night.

Such beautiful game shitted on with such ugly UI. Ugly as ugly can be. That's why you're hiding it so much. RPG ashamed of its UI is usually bad RPG cause most of interactions with the world and most RPG mechanics are again through the UI. This is good RPG, right? So where are you keeping the old UI and old UI artist? In basement?

Now, let's haggle...How much brofists will it cost us for you to give us option to play this RPG with old UI? Inb4 UI dlc...

Yeah, looks like the old one had better style :/
That's what EVERYONE tells them whenever they see the glaring difference between the two. Does that have any impact on their stubbornness, does it even scratch it?
-Insomnia's dev stubbornness hit for 0 damage. Total immunity to any UI criticism and suggestions

INSOMNIA_The_Ark

Studio Mono
Developer
You do realize adding an option to switch to old UI is hardly a priority right now :D? People want all kinds of things from us: localisations, controller support, romance inside the game, etc. We can't do all these things before we are sure core game works as expected.This is what our priority at the moment.

And yes the perception of ugliness and beauty is very subjective.

Heretic

Cipher
I don't care about the UI. The new one looks usable and that's all I want from a UI. It doesn't have to be in-universe.

Thonius

Arcane
Played old beta and played new beta. Honestly I noticed UI switch only when you brought it up. New UI gets the job done, so I don't care. And if you think about it they just removed texture and icons.

Squid

Arbiter
Played old beta and played new beta. Honestly I noticed UI switch only when you brought it up. New UI gets the job done, so I don't care. And if you think about it they just removed texture and icons.
So hopefully the changes in UI aren't that big of a deal for most people. I'm glad to hear that. I do like that older design used for the character stats/attributes though. Looks cool.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
You do realize adding an option to switch to old UI is hardly a priority right now :D? People want all kinds of things from us: localisations, controller support, romance inside the game, etc. We can't do all these things before we are sure core game works as expected.This is what our priority at the moment.

I ask only for 2 things. In game romances outside of the game and option to play with for the eye superior UI. Is that too much to ask? :)

And yes the perception of ugliness and beauty is very subjective.

Come, come traveler. See my beautiful wares. from the north..
swedish-music-festival-for-women-stresses-its-safe-zone.jpg

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is set to launch September 27th, with a 10% discount and the following price tag:
  • $26.99 (USA)
  • £26.99 (UK)
  • €26.99 (Europe)
The UK guys get fucked again but that's ok with me.

Anyway, the game still doesn't have the proper price set in Steam therefore it cannot be bought atm.

I find this weird considering that the release day is in less than 10 days. Honestly, it doesn't make sense to block people which want to pre-order the game anyway.

INSOMNIA_The_Ark Any reason for this? Publisher issues?

INSOMNIA_The_Ark

Studio Mono
Developer
toro said:
INSOMNIA_The_Ark Any reason for this? Publisher issues?
Pre-orders are good for big known projects, in our case they can easily ruin everything.

Will it be available on GOG or Steam-only?
We are talking to them at the moment. Hopefully this will end well :D

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom