Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Industrial Annihilation - Total Annihilation meets Factorio

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://industrialannihilation.com

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-next-pl...o-half-rts-all-tsar-bomba-level-annihilation/

The next Planetary Annihilation game is half Factorio, half RTS, all 'Tsar Bomba level annihilation'​

"The intent is to have a world-class factory game that people can engage with, combined with a world-class RTS game."

Real-time strategy games can be pretty complex, but you generally don't have to concern yourself too much with the economic particulars of whatever war you're fighting. You harvest your Tiberium, your vespene gas, your minerals, and turn them by alchemy into tanks, guns, and troops. You've got tactics to focus on, after all, no need to concern yourself with the dollars and cents.

But Industrial Annihilation—which starts its crowdfunding today on StartEngine and can be preordered on its official site—is chucking all that out the window. Mashing up a factory sim and an RTS, the latest game in the Planetary Annihilation series promises to have you laying out an achingly efficient supply chain for your various wars at the same time as fighting them.

"The idea very much came from playing games like Factorio," says the team at developer Galactic Annihilation in a chat with PC Gamer, "To us, factory games all felt like they could use a real RTS layer in them." So you'll spend a big chunk of your time in Industrial Annihilation planning out your factory, establishing your supply lines, and deciding how best to defend your myriad conveyor belts from enemy incursions. A bit like a real war, then, except you can direct all your available industrial capacity to manufacture something called a "fusion planet crusher".

Galactic Annihilation (that's the studio, not the game, and yes I get them mixed up too) is keen to emphasise that both sides of Industrial Annihilation (that one's the game) are fully featured games unto themselves. "The intent is to have a world-class factory game that people can engage with, combined with a world-class RTS game," the team told me, adding that the studio is trying to cater to people who come to the game from things like Factorio and more traditional RTS fans.

"The [RTS] genre over the years has moved towards focusing on the combat units at the expense of base building," says the team, "We feel like the base building lovers have been left out and we really hope Industrial Annihilation will really bring those players back and cater to what they love."
The notion of juggling a war economy at the same time as juggling a war might sound a little overwhelming, which is why you can delegate half your responsibilities to the AI in order to focus on whichever part of the game you really want to get into. "The goal is to have the entire campaign playable as a factory game if you so choose," say the devs, while other players could—at least in theory—leave a lot of the economic management to the AI while they focus on waging war. It sounds like that's a little less feasible, though: The team points out that "It’s one thing to create a base and then give the AI units to play with, and it’s another thing altogether to ask it to create your base for you."

On top of that, there's plenty of niceties you'd expect from an RTS game in the modern era. Industrial Annihilation will let you choose between two main factions—Chaos (those would be the bad guys) and Machina—as they wage war for control of the galaxy in both a single-player campaign and multiplayer matches. Each side has its quirks and playstyle differences, and each will need to build up an effective war economy before it can win.

Also, as an aside, the team promises "Tsar Bomba level annihilation" from the game's expansive nuclear arsenal, which is both a strange sentence to read in a giddy tone in a press release and also something I am 100% on-board with.

Consider me curious about this one. The emphasis on economic management sounds like it could either be a fascinating wrinkle or too many plates for my fragile brain to keep spinning at once, but the team seems cognizant of that. "This isn't the kitchen sink game like [Planetary Annihilation]," they told me, "With PA we literally put in every crazy idea we had and what we found was that a lot of that stuff just isn't effective or doesn't get used as much." Even with an expanded focus, it sounds like Industrial Annihilation is trying to cut out the cruft.
Investment crowdfunding here: https://www.startengine.com/offering/industrialannihilation

Hellraiser

Arcane
Certainly an interesting idea to mix TA and industrial automation autism sims, and a few supcom people who also worked on PA are behind this looking at the about page so they seem to have the chops. But don't the Planetary Annihilation guys have a fairly poor reputation? PA itself wasn't exactly lauded as a must have worthy TA/SupCom succesor, which is why in the end it has ended up on my "get it one day, but don't pay too much" list where it still is.

Still has dogshit cartoony Planetary Annihilation graphics. Hard pass from me, I'll be waiting on Sanctuary: Shattered Sun and in the meantime playing SupCom.

:killit:

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Certainly an interesting idea to mix TA and industrial automation autism sims, and a few supcom people who also worked on PA are behind this looking at the about page so they seem to have the chops. But don't the Planetary Annihilation guys have a fairly poor reputation? PA itself wasn't exactly lauded as a must have worthy TA/SupCom succesor, which is why in the end it has ended up on my "get it one day, but don't pay too much" list where it still is.
PA and its expansion Titans were developed by Uber Entertainment. In 2018 some Uber devs formed a new studio called Planetary Annihilation Inc., to continue development of PA:T. They are the ones making this.
Meanwhile the original Uber Entertainment studio changed name to Star Theory, started developing KSP2, were then poached by publisher Take-Two, and became Intercept Games, an in-house developer for T2. KSP2 is utter dogshit and a massive failure btw

Data4

Arcane
Will you be building on beach ball sized planets again like PA? That was the dumbest looking shit.

Alpharius

Scholar
Still has dogshit cartoony Planetary Annihilation graphics. Hard pass from me, I'll be waiting on Sanctuary: Shattered Sun and in the meantime playing SupCom.

:killit:
Thanks that looks interesting.
This one is bound to be mediocre if they keep the planet maps from PA imo.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I never tried PA but it left me with the impression of being one of the more poorly done KS projects that didn't come close to what was promised. I doubt this will be any better. Also looks like shit. A toy like design does not excuse those blurry vomit textures, and It doesn't help that I don't like the style in the first place. It is a shame, mixing elements of Factorio with Supreme Commander sounds like a solid concept and if done competently this could be a glorious rts game. But I have zero expectations and excitement regarding this game with those developers behind it.

Alpharius

Scholar
Don't remember too much about what they promised in KS but the whole concept of supcom on planet maps was flawed from the start imo. Like you can see only one side of the planet at a time ofc so the whole strategic zoom feature is seriously compromised. Never enough time to keep track of everything going on, you cant even see the whole frontline is the planet is divided roughly in half.

Even worse if there is more than one contested planet, impossible to have much control over what your units are doing other than attack-moving them in the general direction of the enemy if you are fighting on several planets at once. Also moving units between planets and controlling orbital units was pain in the ass even when there was enough time.

Though i only rarely played it after release & titans expansion so not sure if the game hasn't improved by now.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Everyone wants a piece of the Factorio cake now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom