Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inadverdant bonus effect of Fallout 3!? Spotlight on TB rpgs

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
The ripple effects from Bethesdas heist of hardcore RPG goodness might have some far reaching bonus effects. It is possible and likely that Fallout 1&2's increased gameplaying numbers and sales are due to Fallout 3s media blitz.

Everyone else is doing a better job with the setting, and hopefully will benefit. Modders of course make the game less tedious, Obsidian and some of the original Fallout devs will get an opportunity to make a (hopefully) much better game. Additionally Fallout 1 & 2 get massive sales numbers, even at reduced prices so far after they were originally released-maybe bringing some attention to the possible development by more indy or small-mid size studios of turn based CRPGs again, and AoD, Eschalon, Spiderweb get some more attention...

Trickle down Bethesdanomics?

Durwyn

Prophet
Nah, this is impossible. Gaming market demands more and more action, and for Bethesda customers, VATS was just a gimmick, and "OMG liek this is innovative shit" becouse they think that TB combat is something that happens only in chess or checkers.

No hope for big studio TB ARRPEEGEE

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Turned Based games will continue on only on the Game Boy/PSP. It's not going to have a sudden revival on PC.

Durwyn

Prophet
Jaesun said:
Turned Based games will continue on only on the Game Boy/PSP. It's not going to have a sudden revival on PC.
And on xbawks/ps3 if you count jRPG as turn based.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Saxon1974 said:
Would be nice, but I doubt it.

If a large studio released a TB RPG I would shat myself.

Well, Kerberos who made Sword of the stars is making Northstar a Starflight-ish RPG which will have X-COM inspired turn based party combat. Its a start.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
buccaroobonzai said:
Saxon1974 said:

Well, Kerberos who made Sword of the stars is making Northstar a Starflight-ish RPG which will have X-COM inspired turn based party combat. Its a start.

Really looking forward to this. SoTS bores me, but what I've read about Northstar sounds very, very promising. It'll all end in tears though.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Zhuangzi said:
buccaroobonzai said:
Saxon1974 said:

Really looking forward to this. SoTS bores me, but what I've read about Northstar sounds very, very promising. It'll all end in tears though.

Is Sword of the Stars worth playing, do the expansions add worthwhile gameplay to it? As a point of reference I enjoy Master of Orion type 4x games the best, but I also enjoyed Homeworld.

Norfleet

Sword of Stars is like MOO with simplified planetary management, and not-quite-Homeworld combat. The 3D is there, but you can't explicitly use it.

Seboss

Liturgist
buccaroobonzai said:
Is Sword of the Stars worth playing, do the expansions add worthwhile gameplay to it?
I really like the game and the expansions add a shitload of stuff. New races, deeper planetary managements, new diplomatic options, more weapons, more scenarii etc...
LAN game is pretty fun if you have the occasion to try it.

I think the whole collection is about $30 on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom