Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In the brutal realms of medieval post-apocalyptic Brazil, people should swear a lot

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Oh I see I have touched a sensitive point in some of the Codex western countries members.

How about instead of slinging shit you actually put arguments to support your shitposting. I at least put in some effort to try to explain why I think so.

I am Turkish and reside in Turkey. Another baseless assumption is just what is fitting of you after the rest of the garbage though so I am not surprised. Neither your assumptions on history are correct, nor what you stated as if its fact about language of western developers.

What your political leanings are unimportant, what's obvious is you are awfully concerned to voice your distaste about unrelated and irrelevant political backgrounds of developers especially when you are spewing flat out demonstrably false statements.

Delterius

Arcane
western countries members.
Its official, Turkey is western.
Pictures coming when? Or are you still just shitposting over your "stolen favela internet"?

Wait. Are you saying you guys don't have illegal internet/electricty/water/cable/gas services run by drug kingpins, corrupt senators and rogue police officers in the 'quasi apocalyptic' wherever you're from?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wow, you're really knowledgeable about the world alright. Unlike those damn hippies in the american coast!

ArchAngel

Arcane
western countries members.
Its official, Turkey is western.
Pictures coming when? Or are you still just shitposting over your "stolen favela internet"?

Wait. Are you saying you guys don't have illegal internet/electricty/water/cable services run by drug kingpins, corrupt senators and rogue police officers in the 'quasi apocalyptic' wherever you're from?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wow, you're really knowledgeable about the world alright. Unlike those damn hippies in the american coast!
What we have is a place that was first bombed by a superior army and then looted by both foreigners and our people. Now long time after foreigners left us alone, our people are are still looting it into nothing.
And don't worry we got a lot of corrupt of all kinds. From the highest to the lowest.
But that is not the point.
I didn't say I live in a real post apo place. I also don't care to measure e-peen size with other shitty places.

If you are not lying about where you live (and I am 99% sure you are) then you can be on topic and imagine that favela but without any of the modern stuff and imagine how people would act and talk.
Then compare that with how fantasy RPGs actually represent post apo or medieval and tell us truthfully it is even close to how it should be.

Mazisky

Magister
american productions tends to have this artificial, "for family" writing more than europeans.

The witcher series is a good example of genuine characters and their way of talking.

2house2fly

Magister
They're not talking lore. They're just sprinkling pseudo-Maori in their dialogue. "Pekehu! That karame stole the hikipu from the kamahamu by the ranga's humuhumumu." Instead of "Damn straight, that son-of-a-bitch stole the fruit from the hut by the chieftain's house."

It's really shame that they didn't incorporate the pieces of speech that people in international settings retain from their mother tongues: swear words. It cannot be that difficult, kurwa.
That would make the conversation too realistic and not be politically correct (bland) enough. We cannot have that in a game made by USA "artists".

Funny but it's true though, isn't it? Those US hipsters and SJWs are so degenarated intellectually and clueless that they just aren't capable pf producing anything that even comes close to portraying how real people think, talk, behave.
These people are completely unable to detach themselves from their modern sensiblities and they don't know jack shit about the past.

In PoE 1, a notable exception was Zeit's writing on the pantheon of gods. Also Sawyer is well read in history and this was visible in some aspects of the setting and lore. On the other hands, you had stuff like the infamous "people protesting against inflated prices of prostitutes" quest. From what I gather, the people responsible for shit like this are now in charge of PoE2's writing.
That is a problem of rich countries that have it good. People that grow up there and spend their life there don't have a clue how real people in their less rich fantasy or futuristic setting think or work.
On top of that the political correctness movement of the past years that turned into SJW movement of recent years makes it worse.
Even if they wanted they could not implement misogyny into conversations of 90% of males in those settings. It would be historically correct and correct in how people acted in the past in such situations but they are not allowed to do stuff like that. Or swearing, average people swear a lot in their casual conversations in cultures that are not led by SJW or Political Correctness movements.

Underrail had it much closer to how it would be with many NPCs just telling you to fuck off or mind your own business. But it also could not go all the way and hope to sell the game to Western market.

EDIT: Infinitron, you can citation needed on all my posts but I got no clue what you actually want. Are you a girl and expect me to read your mind like most girls expect?
Where are you getting this weird idea from that SJWs don't swear?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh I see I have touched a sensitive point in some of the Codex western countries members.

How about instead of slinging shit you actually put arguments to support your shitposting. I at least put in some effort to try to explain why I think so.

I am Turkish and reside in Turkey. Another baseless assumption is just what is fitting of you after the rest of the garbage though so I am not surprised. Neither your assumptions on history are correct, nor what you stated as if its fact about language of western developers.

What your political leanings are unimportant, what's obvious is you are awfully concerned to voice your distaste about unrelated and irrelevant political backgrounds of developers especially when you are spewing flat out demonstrably false statements.
Nice bait and switch mate.
Now can you get to the point. All you did is put out a bunch of your own assumptions and accusations and backed it with shitposting.

Delterius

Arcane
If you are not laying about where you live (and I am 99% sure you are) then you can be on topic and imagine that favela but without any of the modern stuff and imagine how people would act and talk.

Are you for real?

Do you honestly think that people act like edgy cuntish 13 year olds when everyone is armed to the teeth and have got nothing to lose but, oh, their own lives?

You're clearly beyond sheltered to think the way that you do.

Whatever shithole you live in isn't a 'tiny stretch' from being a post apocalyptic wasteland. Much less the particular neighborhood your silly self was likely raised in.

And, by the way, neither is this game's setting.

I've been strong armed by drug kingpins and rogue officers both. Nobody talks the way that you think that they do. Everyone is stepping on eggshells at all times, especially as they impose themselves.

Seriously, you're so full of shit even Trump wants to drain this swamp.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They're not talking lore. They're just sprinkling pseudo-Maori in their dialogue. "Pekehu! That karame stole the hikipu from the kamahamu by the ranga's humuhumumu." Instead of "Damn straight, that son-of-a-bitch stole the fruit from the hut by the chieftain's house."

It's really shame that they didn't incorporate the pieces of speech that people in international settings retain from their mother tongues: swear words. It cannot be that difficult, kurwa.
That would make the conversation too realistic and not be politically correct (bland) enough. We cannot have that in a game made by USA "artists".

Funny but it's true though, isn't it? Those US hipsters and SJWs are so degenarated intellectually and clueless that they just aren't capable pf producing anything that even comes close to portraying how real people think, talk, behave.
These people are completely unable to detach themselves from their modern sensiblities and they don't know jack shit about the past.

In PoE 1, a notable exception was Zeit's writing on the pantheon of gods. Also Sawyer is well read in history and this was visible in some aspects of the setting and lore. On the other hands, you had stuff like the infamous "people protesting against inflated prices of prostitutes" quest. From what I gather, the people responsible for shit like this are now in charge of PoE2's writing.
That is a problem of rich countries that have it good. People that grow up there and spend their life there don't have a clue how real people in their less rich fantasy or futuristic setting think or work.
On top of that the political correctness movement of the past years that turned into SJW movement of recent years makes it worse.
Even if they wanted they could not implement misogyny into conversations of 90% of males in those settings. It would be historically correct and correct in how people acted in the past in such situations but they are not allowed to do stuff like that. Or swearing, average people swear a lot in their casual conversations in cultures that are not led by SJW or Political Correctness movements.

Underrail had it much closer to how it would be with many NPCs just telling you to fuck off or mind your own business. But it also could not go all the way and hope to sell the game to Western market.

EDIT: Infinitron, you can citation needed on all my posts but I got no clue what you actually want. Are you a girl and expect me to read your mind like most girls expect?
Where are you getting this weird idea from that SJWs don't swear?
I didn't say that all don't. I am sure many still do. But games produced by those people are usually very free of such talk or any other realistic conversations.
Even Elex that is from Germany has more realistic conversations that 90% of USA games.

FreeKaner

Now can you get to the point. All you did is put out a bunch of your own assumptions and accusations and backed it with shitposting.

The "point" is you are full of shit and have no idea what you are talking about, neither about language of western developers, nor about language of people at various times of history. Also your assumptions about how life is at "non-rich" countries is also extremely funny. You adopted this persona of tough guy as an identity. You also said you lived in USA so it's more to the point you are probably from a largely well-off family living a sheltered life, you just happen to be from a less than Western Europe developed country. So which country is it?

2house2fly

Magister
american productions tends to have this artificial, "for family" writing more than europeans.

The witcher series is a good example of genuine characters and their way of talking.
Mhm, I loved the authentic Witcher 3 quest where you help the badass princess of Skellige solve a murder and she becomes the first queen ever and is established in the ending slides to be the best monarch ever and everyone loves her

ArchAngel

Arcane

The "point" is you are full of shit and have no idea what you are talking about, neither about language of western developers, nor about language of people at various times of history. You adopted this persona of tough guy as an identity. You also said you lived in USA so it's more to the point you are probably from a largely well-off family living a sheltered life, you just happen to be from a less than Western Europe developed country. So which country is it?
No, I said I lived in a Western country for a while. Not USA, I don't want to visit that shitty place even as a tourist. USA is by far the biggest collection of hypocrites in the world, I don't want to go near them.
And I worked in that country, my family didn't finance my stay.

And I am still waiting for any arguments or anything beyond making assumptions about me. Or proving anything. All you said is I am wrong and your argument is "because I say so". Nice talk. Bye.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I didn't say that all don't. I am sure many still do. But games produced by those people are usually very free of such talk or any other realistic conversations.
Even Elex that is from Germany has more realistic conversations that 90% of USA games.
No, that's really how people talk here, it's just that your poor post-apoc self doesn't understand our complex first world problems. We also know how to delete previous quotes.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If you are not laying about where you live (and I am 99% sure you are) then you can be on topic and imagine that favela but without any of the modern stuff and imagine how people would act and talk.

Are you for real?

Do you honestly think that people act like edgy cuntish 13 year olds when everyone is armed to the teeth and have got nothing to lose but, oh, their own lives?

You're clearly beyond sheltered to think the way that you do.

Whatever shithole you live in isn't a 'tiny stretch' from being a post apocalyptic wasteland. Much less the particular neighborhood your silly self was likely raised in.

And, by the way, neither is this game's setting.

I've been strong armed by drug kingpins and rogue officers both. Nobody talks the way that you think that they do. Everyone is stepping on eggshells at all times, especially as they impose themselves.

Seriously, you're so full of shit even Trump wants to drain this swamp.
So you are saying men in favela don't get together and have talks about girls or act towards girls in ways that would probably cause a death inducing seizure in a average USA SJW?

Because they do over here and this place is not as bad as favelas (at least from what I heard and read about favelas, I have never been in one so maybe it is better then what I imagine).

ArchAngel

Arcane
No, that's really how people talk here, it's just that your poor post-apoc self doesn't understand our complex first world problems. We also know how to delete previous quotes.
Since you didn't explain it well I will assume you read that as "people in Germany talk that way"?!
I didn't state that although maybe my sentence might have looked like that to someone. My point was that even developers from Germany (which is Western country as well) did put extra effort to give more realistic conversations to their post apocalyptic NPCs than what you get in games made in USA or Canada.

Delterius

Arcane
So you are saying men in favela don't get together and have talks about girls or act towards girls in ways that would probably cause a death inducing seizure in a average USA SJW?
Depends on where you are and wether the faction that holds the particular favela tolerates un-christian talk.

'That said. Locker room talk and swearing. These most important of themes. Lots of F-bombs. That makes everything realistic.'

^ Certainly not a sheltered little shit's view of the world.

FreeKaner

All you said is I am wrong and your argument is "because I say so". Nice talk. Bye.

I said you are wrong because you are wrong. I already elaborated what you are wrong about. That is you are wrong about the language western developer uses, the language that has been used historically, the language that people use in undeveloped or developing countries. That is after you put on a show about how you are such a tough guy because you talk about the girls with your buddies in your "close to post-apoc country" which you didn't say which.

If you are curious about why you are wrong, and genuinely want to learn so, you can read any random book on history of profanity and obscenity in language. You can also try to open your eyes and read text in any Obsidian game, when did the narrative switch that it became "liberals don't swear" anyway? Here is a garbage western developer game widely criticised on this site for being SJW.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Depends on where you are and wether the faction that holds the particular favela tolerates un-christian talk.

'That said. Locker room talk and swearing. These most important of themes. Lots of F-bombs. That makes everything realistic.'

^ Certainly not a sheltered little shit's view of the world.
What people actually talk in RL is what makes it more realistic. Yes. That is my point. Tnx for proving it.

But I guess this forum has a sizeable group of Storyfags that want their post apo and medieval RPGs to have philosophical musings in every second conversation no matter how stupid that makes the game conversations look.

ArchAngel

Arcane
All you said is I am wrong and your argument is "because I say so". Nice talk. Bye.

I said you are wrong because you are wrong. I already elaborated what you are wrong about. That is you are wrong about the language western developer uses, the language that has been used historically, the language that people use in undeveloped or developing countries. That is after you put on a show about how you are such a tough guy because you talk about the girls with your buddies in your "close to post-apoc country" which you didn't say which.

If you are curious about why you are wrong, and genuinely want to learn so, you can read any random book on history of profanity and obscenity in language. You can also try to open your eyes and read text in any Obsidian game, when did the narrative switch that it became "liberals don't swear" anyway? Here is a garbage western developer game widely criticised on this site for being SJW.
Again you have not said anything. Zero. You are just repeating "I am right, you are wrong" in different sentences. I am still waiting for more from you.

And where did I say I talk about girls in any derogatory way? More baseless assumptions from you!? Oh, how unexpected. Maybe go back and read my posts with a brain instead of whatever you are using when you are upset.

Ok if you finally want to provide something meaningful give me names of few books that tell me how common people talked in medieval age? I am not above saying I am wrong if you can prove it.
I don't understand your second point about Obsidian. We are not only talking about swearing here..

FreeKaner

Again you have not said anything. Zero. You are just repeating "I am right, you are wrong" in different sentences. I am still waiting for more from you.

And where did I say I talk about girls in any derogatory way? More baseless assumptions from you!? Oh, how unexpected. Maybe go back and read my posts with a brain instead of whatever you are using when you are upset.

Ok if you finally want to provide something meaningful give me names of few books that tell me how common people talked in medieval age? I am not above saying I am wrong if you can prove it.
I don't understand your second point about Obsidian. We are not only talking about swearing here..

I keep repeating what I said again and again because you either wilfully or because of out of retardation refuse to acknowledge it. You said because of political correctness rich western developers refuse to use obscene language, this is literally demonstrably false, western developers use a lot of obscene language. You said it would be more historical if people used more obscene language, Game of Thrones is not historical. You said how from where you come from is almost post-apocalyptic and you are tough, thus your immediate surroundings is best representation of how people in games should talk like. Matter or fact is you have no idea what you are talking about and you are absorbed in your completely western politics. You are also failing to understand the fact fantasy games are not supposed to represent history or any select group of people, the speech patterns in the games are supposed to represent can be any way developers wish it to be.

Here is a tid bit of information for you, in a medieval world most of the swearing would be religious, that's where terms like "cursing" and "profanity" comes from. So you would see a lot of oaths on body of Christ or God if it was based medieval English. Your 21th century boy talk would not be common or accepted. So stop using "reality" or "history" to try to justify your own skewed idea of what speech should be like in a video game and how the gosh darn SJWs are ruining it. I also posted a video from a game that more representative of language western developers use if anything.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I keep repeating what I said again and again because you either wilfully or because of out of retardation refuse to acknowledge it. You said because of political correctness rich western developers refuse to use obscene language, this is literally demonstrably false, western developers use a lot of obscene language. You said it would be more historical if people used more obscene language, Game of Thrones is not historical. You said how from where you come from is almost post-apocalyptic and you are tough, thus your immediate surroundings is best representation of how people in games should talk like. Matter or fact is you have no idea what you are talking about and you are absorbed in your completely western politics. You are also failing to understand the fact fantasy games are not supposed to represent history or any select group of people, the speech patterns in the games are supposed to represent can be any way developers wish it to be.

Here is a tid bit of information for you, in a medieval world most of the swearing would be religious, that's where terms like "cursing" and "profanity" comes from. So you would see a lot of oaths on body of Christ or God if it was based medieval English. Your 21th century boy talk would not be common or accepted. So stop using "reality" or "history" to try to justify your own skewed idea of what speech should be like in a video game and how the gosh darn SJWs are ruining it. I also posted a video from a game that more representative of language western developers use if anything.
No you kept repeating "I am right, you are wrong" posts. Last one that mentioned sources of "you are right" but gave none and this one are first posts from you that actually are more than that.
So lets get to this post of yours.
I said USA developers refuse to use more realistic talk for average people that is also based on swearing more often. I provided examples of games that were not that afraid. I also even mentioned some USA games (like PST or Fallout) that had more of realistic conversations with average NPCs (although still not good enough). Everyone is too nice in all these games. They are not nice for example in Underrail.
I never mentioned Game of Thrones as a source for anything so I don't have a clue why are you bringing that up.

Next I never said I am tough, I said I lived my whole life in this shitty poor country surrounded by people that don't live in luxury and as such act differently than those that live in luxury and that I have spent some time in a Western country and I have seen how they act and think about the world. I also know there are way shittier countries and places to live than my own and that in medieval times it was even worse.
Then when I compare games made in USA/Canada to those made outside it is clear they are different because people think differently and look at the world differently.

Of course games don't need to simulate reality. But that does not mean that is better. I talked about why they don't even try in the west.
And of course this whole point is about personal preference. I prefer RPGs that do try to simulate reality in this way, where people you meet are not nice people that are just waiting for you. Fallout did this in more ways than just use of words, if you said a wrong thing you lost access to that NPCs and quests completely.
Underrail has NPCs talk to you like they don't care about you because they don't and they should not. You are not a chosen one and don't have a glowing sign that says "talk to me, I am super important". At best when they are nicer to you, they just want to use you.

My 21st century boy talk was just one example. The whole point I presented in upper two paragraphs. 21st century boy talk (actually a correct term would be 20th century boy talk because that is when most of it happened) is more in place in a post apo setting where people are stabbing each other for their boots and most girls are just walking rape victims (unless they can defend themselves or got protectors). I am certain a group of raiders don't talk about the nice weather or quote Nietzsche.
And those same God fearing people of medieval times also had little regard for human life, especially females (raping everyone you could during war was basically a norm then). You don't see that shown in games. USA/Canada developers ignore what they want and only put what political correctness/SJW movement allows. So your point about this is moot.

EDIT: Now that you mentioned GoT, I think it has shown the shitty position of women better than any RPG I played. Why? Because people there are not artificially nice to each other.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom