Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Drax

Arcane
Use the console to edit your char.
I don't remember the exact command for carryweight but most stats can be seen by player.getav STAT and changed by player.setav STAT (stat being obviously health, magicka, stamina, etc)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Right. After running the patcher again, as suggested, it seems to be working. I'm getting about 1 point of CC per Stamina and ~6 per Health and it (seems) to have stopped resetting on reload/reboot. What a weird glitch.

I'll just not edit my level 8 character and simply consider it an optional hard-mode start or something. At least I got to keep the Stamina/HP points themselves, and the perks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Everything seemed to be working, the game just kept resetting my level up secondary bonuses. Weird shit. Well, it's fixed now, thanks for reminding me about the patcher. 7 levels down the drain, as far as secondaries are concerned, but let's just pretend my character had bad rolls.

DraQ

Arcane
Yep. Patcher creates customized patch for your exact load order and specific versions of every mod you have there.
If anything changes it needs to be reran.

Also, for future reference, don't remove patcher's own bookkeeping files when upgrading Requiem. If you do it will lose track of stuff like binding generated characters to actual in-game instances and on running the patcher you will end up with weird shit like multikult guards using bandit gear and missing dialogue.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
As an update, I manually re-leveled my character using the console. I discarded extra perk points manually by taking, then removing perks with the console, fixed the added stats, and now my character is exactly how he would be if it had all worked from the start. The game is very difficult. I am at level 9 and have mostly Evasion/Sneak/Blocking/One-Handed and it's impossible to really finish dungeons, let alone start the main quest. I'm glad this "3D NPC" mod gave me a follower in Riverrun because if I didn't have him tanking enemies I'd not be able to kill anything. I've learned to fight enemies in a way that means I am not getting hit. I'm using an Ebony Dagger from the tutorial area, which I think is fair game.

So far I am enjoying it. The area seems stupidly large so I think I can get my hiking sim fix here. I am methodically clearing every dungeon I can, and making notes on those I can't. I like exploring and hiking. I'll say, I do think Morrowind did this 4x times better. You can't believe how much its good art design and mood made hiking more satisfying. In Morrowind everytime I found something new it was a feast for the eyes. While Skyrim has much better graphics, it's just a lot less exciting to wander places I could wander if I left my room a little more. Still, it's enjoyableish.

Really looking forward to Solstheim. It was one of the most beautiful areas in Morrowind and I just remember really enjoying Bloodmoon as a whole.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Too much Game of Thrones.

No, they're 3D NPC followers. I hired a guy with a big warhammer. He's not immotral since he can die (fairly easy if I am not careful) but he still gives me two health bars to work with. I just wish he'd fucking shut up about eating horkers, though.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Plus it was ridiculous that you do one micro quest and in reward get the undying loyalty of that dude. Though I heard that it was possible to lead the guy to death and then marry that chick yourself in vanilla Skyrim.

DraQ

Arcane
Plus it was ridiculous that you do one micro quest and in reward get the undying loyalty of that dude. Though I heard that it was possible to lead the guy to death and then marry that chick yourself in vanilla Skyrim.
Also if you got one guy killed you could receive a thank you letter from the other one.
Vanilla reactivity too.

Skyrim isn't half bad when it comes to this kind of micro-reactivity. It's just that its quest(line) scripting is rigid and inflexible (though not nearly as bad as OBs).

Jasede
The Riverwood 2h guy pretty much represents the low end of 3DNPCs followers in terms of overall "interestingness".
The best ones are far more involved.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Also if you got one guy killed you could receive a thank you letter from the other one.
Vanilla reactivity too.

Skyrim isn't half bad when it comes to this kind of micro-reactivity. It's just that its quest(line) scripting is rigid and inflexible (though not nearly as bad as OBs).

Jasede
The Riverwood 2h guy pretty much represents the low end of 3DNPCs followers in terms of overall "interestingness".
The best ones are far more involved.
Do you really think I want to -talk- to them? I just want him to die for me.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Nah, he's just a meat shield. I do talk to everyone I meet and when I meet someone stronger, he can replace him. But still, I am not picking NPC followers based on the quality of the conversation - I pick them based on how hard they can swing a hammer. I'm a practical Thief/Assassin/Swashbuckler.

There sure are a lot of place to go in this game. I'd like to get a house so I can store my inventory a little more efficiently. Which location do you recommend to buy a house in? Whiterun seems good, but I don't want to turn in the dragonstone just yet.

By the way, Requiem is really fun. It's actually turned Skyrim into an... okay action game (since if I get hit, I die, but you can block and swing quickly, so you can learn a neat hit&run twitch style of combat that relies on good judgment and fast reflexes.)

DraQ

Arcane
But still, I am not picking NPC followers based on the quality of the conversation - I pick them based on how hard they can swing a hammer. I'm a practical Thief/Assassin/Swashbuckler.
That's good, however:
  • Different followers with the same skillset won't differ that dramatically in terms of combat performance and you won't be able to assess those differences accurately anyway (not unless you spend hours querrying them about every perk with console in any case), so other things equal you can pick them based on non-combat factors.
  • 3DNPCs has a lot of interlocking questlines that are unlocked mainly by talking with NPCs, often followers.
  • It's always better to have a follower that isn't actively annoying and may provide some interesting or amusing commentary while wandering.
Although swapping certain followers out is also requirement for some quests starting. Some even require you to have no followers with you.
Finally, do try to find followers that not just hit hard, but do the best job complementing your own playstyle.

There sure are a lot of place to go in this game. I'd like to get a house so I can store my inventory a little more efficiently.
Indeed, that's pretty important in Requiem.
You can buy a house in any of the cities (or should I say "cities"?) in game. You'll usually need to do some quests there, though and some restrictions related to the civil war may apply as well.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I knopw, I was just wondering which city might be good for that. Ideally it's one that loads quickly. I am playing on an old notebook so I play the game on minimal graphics (I don't mind, I am not a whore). So far I've been to the dwemer-y city in the southwest (Markath?) and to Falkreach (?), also in the south-west, but they're both kind of not as central as I'd like. I figure I'll head to Solitude next, maybe join the legion. It's fun to just explore, even if the core game isn't that great. Plus, the way Requiem levels me up makes for a satisfying, if basic, "get stronger" RPG style.

There sure are a lot of place to go in this game. I'd like to get a house so I can store my inventory a little more efficiently. Which location do you recommend to buy a house in? Whiterun seems good, but I don't want to turn in the dragonstone just yet.

If you only care about having a safe place to store items, Anise's cabin on the way to Riverwood is the earliest and easiest opportunity, as only the food barrel resets. For the obsessive compulsive packrats, there's the abandoned house in Markarth with dozens of containers. And finally, there's the Ragged Flagon, since as a thief you'll spend a lot of time there anyway.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Category:Skyrim-Places-Safe

edit:

It kind of makes sense - once you remove guy's rival in a love triangle, he probably won't want to leave with you, no matter how grateful.

It's mainly because the elf is also an archery trainer, and if you helped him you could engage in "pay for training then ask your buddy to give the money back so you can effectively raise a skill for free" nonsense. I think you can still do this with the Companions.

Amusingly, if you play as a dude the girl sounds very gentle and naive, but if you play as a female she'll will make catty remarks about how you should stop muscling in on her turf. Also, the guy's AI that is set up to keep courting her might not get disabled so if you two get married it's possible to come back from an adventure only to find one of the guys walking out of your house. That's what you get for marrying the village bicycle, I guess
:negative:

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Okay, so I'm playing along just fine, about to hit level 15. Building a house with a nice view on the lake. Nice weather today.

But here's something that's been pissing me off. I am in Falkreath and doing quests to become Thane. So one guy tells me to kill a vampire. Aha. Okay, no problem. ... where? He didn't mention where this vampire was. It updated my map, sure, but am I supposed to compare my current save to my old save to figure out which marker is new? Same town, I am stalking and killing a white deer and the God of the Hunt talks to me. He tells me to kill a werewolf. Sure, no problem! ... except he doesn't tell me where the werewolf is. It just updated my map and I have zero idea which marker it added.

Now, just to clarify, when you install Requiem it recommends you turn off the quest compass and the journal markers and such. So of course I did. But here's the problem: due to the fucking quest compass, Bethesda wrote the game so lazily that almost none of the quests come with directions. It's not fucking possible to play without it because half the time nobody fucking tells you where to go, expecting you to check your compass instead. This is retarded, utterly retarded. How lazy do you have to be? Just because you have a fucking quest compass doesn't mean you get to write your quests in such a way that you have no fucking idea where to go without it. Shit is making me rage.

Remember Morrowind? It didn't need a fucking quest compass because NPCs gave you fucking descriptions of where to go and how to get there. And sometimes they were vague and wrong and you found cool new stuff by getting lost. But this piece of shit game gives me nothing. "Quest received: kill a vampire!" - Yes, fucking WHERE?

/rant

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom