Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
(It makes the Draugr start like in the last frame, though.)

Maybe in respect to lvl 1 chars. But that's probably not different to Requiem's bunnies.
What makes the Draugr challenging initially are their specific resistances/immunities in combination with their ubiquity.
With the right gear or spells even a comparatively low level char can taggle them, maybe with the exception of the dungeon bosses.
For my heavy armor swoard'n'board char the biggest challenge was actually finding a single fucking silver weapon (which don't seem to show up in (m?)any vendor lists).
Silver's purely a Silver Hand thing. Or you have to make it.

Gord

Arcane

The author of Requiem hid one silver weapon in Bleak Falls Barrow, but either you are lucky and find it by yourself or you already know where to look. Otherwise you will be fucked for quite some time.
The problem with the limited supply of silver weapons is that it prevents certain characters (melee chars that don't join the Companions) from accessing an unnecessary large amount of game content - again unless you got lucky or use meta-game knowledge.
I would have made some weapons show up at least with some vendors, e.g. the ork smith in Markarth, that's supposed to be the city with the silver mines, isn't it?
It's actually one of the typical complaints I have with Requiem - at times the difference between what Requiem wants and what Skyrim can provide is a bit too large to work well.

DraQ

Arcane
(It makes the Draugr start like in the last frame, though.)

Maybe in respect to lvl 1 chars. But that's probably not different to Requiem's bunnies.
What makes the Draugr challenging initially are their specific resistances/immunities in combination with their ubiquity.
With the right gear or spells even a comparatively low level char can taggle them, maybe with the exception of the dungeon bosses.
For my heavy armor swoard'n'board char the biggest challenge was actually finding a single fucking silver weapon (which don't seem to show up in (m?)any vendor lists).
Heavy sword'n'board can conceivably do BFB fresh from Helgen if the player is good (and if they find that silver katana), some other builds, though, like light archer? It's the last cadre of this comic except with infinity symbol made of trollfaces instead of draugr's health bar.

The author of Requiem hid one silver weapon in Bleak Falls Barrow, but either you are lucky and find it by yourself or you already know where to look. Otherwise you will be fucked for quite some time.
The problem with the limited supply of silver weapons is that it prevents certain characters (melee chars that don't join the Companions) from accessing an unnecessary large amount of game content - again unless you got lucky or use meta-game knowledge.
I would have made some weapons show up at least with some vendors, e.g. the ork smith in Markarth, that's supposed to be the city with the silver mines, isn't it?
It's actually one of the typical complaints I have with Requiem - at times the difference between what Requiem wants and what Skyrim can provide is a bit too large to work well.
I wouldn't consider it Requiem's failing.

Different builds get fucked by different things and are barred from "unnecessary large amount of game content" anyway - a sword'n'board type that handles draugr and laughs off bandit archers will get instant fried by pretty much any casters and get thoroughly fucked by anything you can't reasonably melee before you reach ludicrous levels.
A race without poison resistance may give you actual arachnophobia IRL.
Etc.

Requiem is all about making lemonade out of a deadly avalanche of lemons.
Need a silver weapon? Find one, make one, join companions, find a high level non-silver one to compensate for reduced damage output against undead or use a different type of weapon than you're specialized in, enchant something useful or learn some spells. If all else fails get some scrolls.

whatevername

Arcane
By SR i meant SkyRim. And yes, there are pretty harsh fucks out there. Last example the crazy dude, who touches himself with rats in the Honeymoon brewery caves. He killed me with a single or two fireballs few times. I couldn't get to him with my sledgehammer, because a bunch of rats were in my way all the time. His single fireball takes away almost all of my 180 HP. So i had to stealth shoot all the rats one by one and only then i proceeded to first stealth shoot the guy, then hide behind the rock and ambush with hammer. Still, he almost killed me. I had like 5 HP points left.
I don't use any other than UI mod and it's the ''Legendary'' version.

And yes, Farkas was getting slaughtered, when i thought i should just let kill him those baddies for me. Fact that the combat is so hectic that you would regularly miss or even worse, hit your own friend doesn't help either.
Are you running straight forward in a narrow passage, got a mod that increases fireball flying speed 10x or something? You can't be hit by a fireball otherwise.

I think silver arrows are more common. Failing that, a fireball scroll sold by court wizards helps a lot. You could also hire a mage, like that guy in Riften.

Regarding instakills - are there any mods that disentangle them from cinematic finishers?
As in: instead of triggering finisher the moment the attack starts and can 1hk the target they would trigger the finisher the moment such attack actually hits?

Not sure if that's what you want, but VioLens allows you to turn off the cinematic thing.

Isn't there a small silver waraxe in that "lunar forge" thinguie? It's near whiterun to the northwest IIRC.

Those are steel, and guarded by a high level bandit in Requiem.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Are you running straight forward in a narrow passage, got a mod that increases fireball flying speed 10x or something? You can't be hit by a fireball otherwise.
No. When i start chopping rats, he shows up and fries me, because rats are surrounding me and there's nowhere to sidestep. And his fireball flew pretty fucking fast without any mods. One probably can easily dodge it from afar, but he gets rather close and rats are all around hindering maneuverability.

Gord

Arcane
Different builds get fucked by different things and are barred from "unnecessary large amount of game content" anyway - a sword'n'board type that handles draugr and laughs off bandit archers will get instant fried by pretty much any casters and get thoroughly fucked by anything you can't reasonably melee before you reach ludicrous levels.
A race without poison resistance may give you actual arachnophobia IRL.

In principle I totally agree, and it's one of the best things about requiem that you can't just steamroll everything and different enemies require different tactics, etc.
Its just that Draugr are such an integral part of Skyrim, with them showing up in many (quest) locations (early quests, too) that not being able to deal with them is a somewhat bigger issue than avoiding e.g. the few mage/necromancer locations until you are strong enough.

Also keep in mind that I'm not saying that Draugr should be made easier - I'm saying that silver weapons should be made easier to acquire, by giving them to some vendors where it makes sense lore-wise (e.g. in Markarth) instead of putting one single hidden findable silver weapon into the game or restrict them to one guild (which you might not want to join for whatever reason and besides there's again no way to know about the Silver Hand unless you have meta-knowledge about the game).

Need a silver weapon? Find one, make one, join companions, find a high level non-silver one to compensate for reduced damage output against undead or use a different type of weapon than you're specialized in, enchant something useful or learn some spells. If all else fails get some scrolls.

Well, as I said, you can find one (1) in the entire game, afaik, unless you join the companions - but maybe you don't want to join them because (larping) reasons.
High level weapons are similarly not accesible so easily, especially without leveling up quite a bit - which is made much more tedious if you have to avoid Draugr locations (and early-game Requiem is tedious enough as is).
Enchanting kinda works IF you want to level it, spells are viable only for mages - what if you want to use a melee/non-magic using char for once? Without combat magic or self-made enchanted weapons? Scrolls are much too expensive an option considering the amount of Draugrs even in small locations.
In comparison just putting a few silver weapons into vendor lists where it makes sense - even expensive ones - solves this problem very elegantly and in a simple, plausible and lore-friendly way.

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
Jeesus just install a mod for Silversmithing its great OH WAIT you cant because u all use Requiem hahahahahaha , seriously even modding has to be served on a plate for people , i never even considered using requiem worst case scenario imo( if i was hit by the car and couldnt think anymore then maybe ), it prevents you from using most of the good mods , and there are quite a few options to rebalance combat and difficulty without requiem and requiem is just some manchilds streamed dream how everybody should play skyrim . It ofcourse can take up to 12 hours to make yourself a good ESP's list i bet this is unacceptable for most people nowadays.

Its strange to see all codex being requiem fanboys isnt it like mainstream part of modding

Drax

Arcane
Jeesus just install a mod for Silversmithing its great OH WAIT you cant because u all use Requiem hahahahahaha , seriously even modding has to be served on a plate for people , i never even considered using requiem worst case scenario imo( if i was hit by the car and couldnt think anymore then maybe ), it prevents you from using most of the good mods , and there are quite a few options to rebalance combat and difficulty without requiem and requiem is just some manchilds streamed dream how everybody should play skyrim . It ofcourse can take up to 12 hours to make yourself a good ESP's list i bet this is unacceptable for most people nowadays.

Its strange to see all codex being requiem fanboys isnt it like mainstream part of modding
False. You can use SkyUI and the big titties mods with it.
You lose.

Atchodas

Augur
What SkyUi has to do with... Requiem ?
Agreed you win this retard competition Congratz Retard NR1 :)

dont think i mentioned skyui tho , i got to first town on vanilla skyrim and did 1 dungeon on the way before i got myself first mod that was SkyUI lol, has nothing to do with Requiem being full of shit tho and its biggest shity part being incompatible with 95% of nexus , but how would you know you are a retard , who probably ran skyrim with Requiem and SKyUI and think himself such expert on skyrim modding

Gord

Arcane
Is ramping up difficulty only merit of Requiem or does it actually adds something?

It removes scaling and diversifies the game.
Obviously the game is completely rebalanced. Different approaches to different enemies become more important, each build has (pronounced) advantages and disadvantages. You get a much better sense of progression and can pretty much forget about stuff like cleaning out Bleak Falls Barrow or fighting a dragon right after Helgen - your char starts out really weak (e.g. you can pretty much forget most skills without investing a perk first).
Some new items, too.

It's worth a try if you care about the stuff mentioned above. It has some issues, imo, but is overall quite good if you are looking for a challenge and more plausible experience with Skyrim.

Drax

Arcane
What SkyUi has to do with... Requiem ?
Agreed you win this retard competition Congratz Retard NR1 :)

dont think i mentioned skyui tho , i got to first town on vanilla skyrim and did 1 dungeon on the way before i got myself first mod that was SkyUI lol, has nothing to do with Requiem being full of shit tho and its biggest shity part being incompatible with 95% of nexus , but how would you know you are a retard , who probably ran skyrim with Requiem and SKyUI and think himself such expert on skyrim modding
It's a joke you retarded piece of jewish nigger shit my friend.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It removes scaling and diversifies the game.
Obviously the game is completely rebalanced. Different approaches to different enemies become more important, each build has (pronounced) advantages and disadvantages. You get a much better sense of progression and can pretty much forget about stuff like cleaning out Bleak Falls Barrow or fighting a dragon right after Helgen - your char starts out really weak (e.g. you can pretty much forget most skills without investing a perk first).
Some new items, too.

It's worth a try if you care about the stuff mentioned above. It has some issues, imo, but is overall quite good if you are looking for a challenge and more plausible experience with Skyrim.
I think i'l pass, because grinding on mudcrabs for several hours of game time just not to resemble 10 year old cripple isn't my kind of fun. And as you see, i find plenty of challenge in vanilla playing on mere 'expert'. Of course, it may also be because it's 100% unclear for me now which territories are dangerous and which are not. Till now there has been at least 3 large dungeons and some random encounters with hard mobs and even those that are easy, have some tough bosses/minibosses.
Maybe i'm really playing some different version without knowing myself, because both Morrowind and Oblibians were easy peasy in comparison.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Vanilla Skyrim scalin has some weird quirks, in that the difficulty curve isn't smooth, it's jumpy. You can get really easy going for a bit, then hit the next level and bam, game throws all kinds of nasty shit at you just because you're now lvl 20 instead of lvl 19 without checking your skills or perks or anything. And if you do a lot non-combat skillups, that fucks you in the ass too. Because again, scaling is retarded and only checks your level.

Which is why you really should use either SkyRe or Requiem.

Gord

Arcane
In my experience it's somewhere between Requiem and vanilla Skyrim.
Used it with one char, started out challenging (not nearly as hard as Requiem, though) and got quite easy around level 30 or such. It used to come with different modules, so you could choose what to use and what not - although Requiem has an in-game menu to change various aspects a bit, so it's not totally set in stone, either.
However, I used an older outdated version, no idea how it developed in the last 1 1/2 years. IIRC, I switched to Requiem since newer versions of SkyRe required Dragonborn, which I didn't have at the time.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Well, if Requiem is like Gord explained, then it's even worse. What's with the SkyRe?

The guy that made SkyRe came out with a new system called Perkus Maximus. The idea is similar to requiem, where you have an entire gameplay overhaul. I think he still recommends a few of his SkyRe modules with it, but overall I find combat to actually be fun while still maintaining a solid challenge.

Drax

Arcane
You can always go for the custom mod selection, if you have the time to try out mods that change specific aspects (scaling, combat, character progression, crafting, economy, all those aspect have at least a dozen different mods that change how vanilla handles those mechanics)
Google Skyrim GEMS, that's a quite useful website for this kind of approach.

whatevername

Arcane
I think i'l pass, because grinding on mudcrabs for several hours of game time just not to resemble 10 year old cripple isn't my kind of fun. And as you see, i find plenty of challenge in vanilla playing on mere 'expert'. Of course, it may also be because it's 100% unclear for me now which territories are dangerous and which are not. Till now there has been at least 3 large dungeons and some random encounters with hard mobs and even those that are easy, have some tough bosses/minibosses.
Maybe i'm really playing some different version without knowing myself, because both Morrowind and Oblibians were easy peasy in comparison.
If you want super easy mode, play as a summoner and you'll never get hit with the exception of lightning spells or when something attacks you from behind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom