Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Impressions after finishing F4

Zerginfestor

Learned
Weapon Damage is taken to the power of 1.366 when calculating final damage, so Minigun's low damage is even more pathetic than it seems.

If you want to go Heavy Weapon, get Ashmaker http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ashmaker. Or some legendary Minigun with bonus damage. Or Laser Minigun which runs off Fusion Cores and yes, Nuclear Science makes cores last longer for them too too.

Don't bother. Minigun ammo is too easily spent and the only reliable way to get them is to snipe off vertibird minigunner or download a craftable ammo mod.

Or just buy it. If you assign weapon vendor in settlement he/she will sell ammo.

So basically, it's essential to have the Local Leader perk in order to get Heavy Weapon ammo, right?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Man, even if you do - it's way better to just go Automatic for rapid fire weapons.
The only heavy weapon I like is the Missile Launcher cause a good crit can wipe out a pack easily, the Minigun is good for clearing early game trash raiders, but not much else. The rarity of ammo, combined with its weight makes it underperform most weapons once you start finding higher caliber pistol / rifles.

You know, I wouldn't really think anything of people who enjoyed a game like Fallout 4, it's better than it's predecessor, and is a mixed bag of improvement and decline when it comes to Bethesda.
But is it just me or does every slobbering sub-human retard that harps on about the game also dislike NV? Like, they don't compare it to 3, but instead, NV, which it doesn't even touch.
Think about it, all the worst Bethestard faggots are always taking passive aggressive jabs at aspects of NV. They're more than just people with low standards, they're completely irredeemable contrarian retards.

RK47

Patron
Eh, don't fight lah. What a pointless thing to do. It's Christmas soon. Don't you want a free PS4 from Santa?

potatojohn

Arcane
You know, I wouldn't really think anything of people who enjoyed a game like Fallout 4, it's better than it's predecessor, and is a mixed bag of improvement and decline when it comes to Bethesda.
But is it just me or does every slobbering sub-human retard that harps on about the game also dislike NV? Like, they don't compare it to 3, but instead, NV, which it doesn't even touch.
Think about it, all the worst Bethestard faggots are always taking passive aggressive jabs at aspects of NV. They're more than just people with low standards, they're completely irredeemable contrarian retards.
I don't dislike New Vegas, I'm just pointing out that F4 is better than NV in certain aspects, including aspects that people seem to hate F4 for.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That sounds bad but I suppose you played Fallout 2 and talked to the scientist at end game facility that wants to kill unpure humans and save humanity and you make him kill all his friends instead by using arguments that comes down to "you are wrong". I have yet to see a more terrible persuasion attempt in any game.

Yes that was also weak but no game is perfect. At least the doctor was the only stupid person and Chosen One was just using his weakness instead of being stupid as well.
If that was part of some sidequest I would not care, but it is part of main quest at 99% end. I cannot just say well at least everything else was good.

For example in one of Icewind Dale games you can get rid of one of the end boss henchman by carrying a dead cat in your bag for the whole game. He sees you as are super dangerous crazy guy and chickens out, that made more sense than what they did in Fo2.

Anyways, continue on with Fo4 bullshit questing bashing :D

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Btw, I played Fo4 a bit more yesterday to try out the shadow fixed mod and got into a fight with a Mireluk Hunter. I am playing on Hard to avoid enemies being bullet sponges but to kill this bug I needed about 3 sniper shots, 15 shotgun shots and about 30+ laser pistol shots. No VATS, only casuals play with VATS.
It was ridiculous. In a bad way.

Last edited:

RK47

Patron
I think they actually nerfed your damage on harder difficulty.
Difficulty / Incoming Dmg / Outgoing Damage
Normal 100% / 100%
Hard 150% / 75%
Very Hard 200% / 50%
Legendary 200% / 50% - Slow Healing Rate

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think they actually nerfed your damage on harder difficulty.
Difficulty / Incoming Dmg / Outgoing Damage
Normal 100% / 100%
Hard 150% / 75%
Very Hard 200% / 50%
Legendary 200% / 50% - Slow Healing Rate
Well it comes down to same if I do less damage or they have more HP unless their armor works even better in such a case.

Or maybe only Mireluks are bullshit, raiders die from two shotgun shots and supermutants from 3. Even the damn Deathclaw died faster (this was funny, I got out PA to try out new armor I bought from traveling salesman and suddenly Deathclaw spawns and the game does not let me get into PA - I didn't last long :D :D).

potatojohn

Arcane
Like the loading tip says, you have to shoot them in the face. The shell is very tough.

But yeah mirelurk hunters, kings, and queens take some of the most damage in the game.

typical user

Arbiter
Like the loading tip says, you have to shoot them in the face. The shell is very tough.

But yeah mirelurk hunters, kings, and queens take some of the most damage in the game.

At least the game doesn't have Far Cry 4 honey badgers.

Mirelurk Queen is formidable opponent because you can get poisoned even when wearing fucking power armor that should protect you from venomous clouds as it does protect from radiation and allows to breath underwater until you run out from oxygen in gas-tank. You will die quickly from that armor ignoring damage no matter if melee or ranged unless you have legendary armor with alchemist prefix. I don't know if the game has poison immunity drugs/food because I only craft that refreshing drink which has ridiculous health regen. Probably the only way to shrug off that venom.

baturinsky

Arcane
Btw, quick tip for those who want to go Melee - Hubris Comics building has a "starter pack" in form of Grognak's axe and costume on the top floor.

I don't dislike New Vegas, I'm just pointing out that F4 is better than NV in certain aspects, including aspects that people seem to hate F4 for.
Wasn't exactly about you, the NV comparisons just triggered me and reminded me of previous faggotry. Not being passive aggressive as I really don't remember which of the retards it was, and I've blocked them long enough ago that I haven't seen any newer examples.

Either way, only one of the things you mentioned was actually done better, that being the specific weapon upgrades, the power armor being available early is terrible design imo, and is contrary to what most people seemed to want. They got half of it right by making the armor feel more powerful, but then went and made it so damn easy to obtain and tedious as to ruin the actual progression of power. I've never googled a fusion core location, and I've never bought a fusion core, sometimes I just stand around in my power armor, or forget to take it off while running around my settlements, trading, and giving in quests, and I've never run out of cores, I have 12 currently, and I pretty much only exit the armor to upgrade it.

Heck, even game journalist shills think the instant gratification was a bit much in this game.

Heck, even game journalist shills think the instant gratification was a bit much in this game.

... and THIS sums up my issues with Bethesda since Oblivion came around: they're like that creepy permissive parent that wants to load their kid with sweets thinking they're buying affection, when all they're really doing is undermining any sense of authority and dignity the kid might have seen in them.

With any luck, any luck at all, this will have been a lessoned learned for Bethesda.

Maybe they read the statistics where 80% of Steam users only play like 10 hours or so of the games they buy?

potatojohn

Arcane
Wasn't exactly about you, the NV comparisons just triggered me and reminded me of previous faggotry. Not being passive aggressive as I really don't remember which of the retards it was, and I've blocked them long enough ago that I haven't seen any newer examples.

Either way, only one of the things you mentioned was actually done better, that being the specific weapon upgrades, the power armor being available early is terrible design imo, and is contrary to what most people seemed to want. They got half of it right by making the armor feel more powerful, but then went and made it so damn easy to obtain and tedious as to ruin the actual progression of power. I've never googled a fusion core location, and I've never bought a fusion core, sometimes I just stand around in my power armor, or forget to take it off while running around my settlements, trading, and giving in quests, and I've never run out of cores, I have 12 currently, and I pretty much only exit the armor to upgrade it.

I don't think it has anything to do with instant gratification. Power armor now has its own unique mechanics so they wanted to show it while you're still in Tutorial Town.

PA in F4 isn't that great anyway. It has many disadvantages, and doesn't even offer that much protection due to the new damage equation, so having it early is irrelevant to the gameplay.

PA in F4 isn't that great anyway. It has many disadvantages, and doesn't even offer that much protection due to the new damage equation, so having it early is irrelevant to the gameplay.
That sound great, sure glad Bethesda addressed the complaints about how underwhelming Power Armor felt in Fo3 and NV.

No, the reason it felt underwhelming is because it barely did anything, in Fallout 3 the nerd rage perk and a med x is equivalent to the best power armor in game. In NV, most enemies could tear through it like paper, a Deathclaw will still 1 hit kill you in the best power armor, and so will most end tier enemies.

The complaints were that instead of feeling like a nigh indestructible tank that had only fear the occasional crit like you did in 1 and 2, you felt like you were just wearing some slightly better metal armor.
They improved the audio/visual aspects sure, I said as much when I first mentioned the power armor, which isn't really something to praise, given that it's a fucking 2015 AAA release, and you kind of expect improved visuals and sound in that kind of production.
To an extent I also does feel more powerful than in say, Fallout 3, but the awful progression of it just being everywhere starting at level 1 is probably the worst thing they've done with it. Power armor is the rare uber end game power jump, not some shitty vehicle mechanic. In Fallout 4 it feels cheapened and common.

potatojohn

Arcane
PA in New Vegas was very good. By the end my DT was around 40 and attacks by normal enemies did practically no damage. It didn't feel good because it didn't look and sound good, but it worked.

It felt especially good because of how late in the game you get it, and how it's either behind an endgame questline or a difficult fight, it's the closest you can get to Fallout 1 and 2. 4 did it right everywhere but the progression.

typical user

Arbiter
It simply was shoehorned to show how awesome it is and how it feels to be a tank. Like I said before this is the best this game has to offer as this is the only quest full of action. They could've make a demo or tutorial or footage showing their work instead of ruining balance and ignoring lore again.

But slowly walking in X-01 and killing crap with few shots in point blank range from Gauss Gun feels awesome. Bethestards ignore most good changes from New Vegas like DT but at least T-51b looks more like T-51b, same with Enclave PA. And they can turn you into demi-god when facing pipe-rifle morons and ferals. They could use some model improvements and texture work though.

But why can't those idiots make 3D models of City-killer combat shotgun, G11-E, Combat armor, Leather Jacket, DKS-501 Sniper Rifle or Pancor Jackhammer I can't comprehend. Most guns in Fo4 look like shit. Only Gatling Laser, Sawn-off, Combat Shotgun, Deliverer and Composite Sniper Rifle look decent in my opinon.

And new armors, ugh. Glad I can wear power armor and not see how ridiculous my character looks without it.

Zerginfestor

Learned
What's good about having both DT and DR? It felt redundant and gamey.

Because having pure DR was broken as fuck back in the day, as it was a simple 1%=1% of damage negated, so small DR meant shit, but once you hit past 10% and climbed upwards, you begin to notice a huge change that made the entire game dumbed down. Having DT on the other hand with a mixture actually balances things out, as DT helped early game, but it didn't make things stupid-easy later on, as Deathclaws were capable of ripping your ass apart even in power armor (as they should be able to, seeing as they're specially made for this kind of job, the ultimate close-quarters shock trooper), thus DR was more of a temporary, rare boost to provide the user the ability to ignore some of the leftover damage, though at the cost of being addicted to the said chems or running out of said resources when another dire situation rises. DR in NV was basically the "OH SHIT" button and allowed the player to be saved from moments, whereas in 3, there was no drawbacks with max DR, and you were never really in any trouble.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom