Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
- EUIV fans just got Leviathan release. I don't even need to say anything else.

Had to check this up and holy shit:

SFtRAYj.jpg

That is the lowest score I have ever seen of any game. What the hell happened here?

Last edited:

Comte

Holy shit.

Great, now the Imperador Fans are pissed too.

Honestly, I don't blame them. They just had some pretty bad launches recently. The pdox fanbase is NOT happy at all lately:

- Hearts of Iron fans are feeling like HOI4 is being neglected and left with a skeleton team, even through its one of their most sold games.

- EUIV fans just got Leviathan release. I don't even need to say anything else.

- Vicky fans have a ten-years long blue balls.

Vicky 3 is gonna be garbage if it ever gets released.

Zariusz

Arbiter
This game would be much more popular if Bronze Age mod didnt jump the ship to CK3.
I get that they did this because CK3 is much more popular but come on, it doesnt even have fucking trade system.

Silva

Arcane
You know Bronze Age mod is back, right?

Anyway, the problem with Imperator was it's awful release at the hands of Johan "Mana Points" Anderson. The game was so bad it never recovered. It improved considerably after Arheo took over and proceeded to undo the former doings, but it was too late from a marketing POV.

Johan should exit Paradox, for the good of mankind Vicky3.

Last edited:

Zariusz

Arbiter
It is?! Oh so it was revived last month with new team... For many people it was the main reason to play this, original version being abandoned for so many months certainly didnt help IR with popularity. Well at least there is now one reason to play this game.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
turns out that games as a service may not be as a good idea various shills will make you believe.

who the hell are these "shills"? i don't know anyone that thinks GaaS is good. at best it gets a pass from zoomers who've never known anything else.

You know Bronze Age mod is back, right?

I think I posted about it, but it's worth noting that it's a fork, not the same team.

CK3 has been a big part of IR getting neglected. First marketing engineered the original dev moving from IR to CK3 through early access to the build. Now the talented devs behind Marius and Heirs of Alexander are being poached. :/

LizardWizard

Cipher
CK3 has been a big part of IR getting neglected. First marketing engineered the original dev moving from IR to CK3 through early access to the build. Now the talented devs behind Marius and Heirs of Alexander are being poached. :/

Imperator is being neglected because it was a dumpsterfire of Johan design from the jump and nobody plays it.

But the project leader of CK1/2/3 was also responsible for EU: Rome Vae Victus which is also ironically the best content of either Rome game in the series. So triple fucked by CK3 I guess :D

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
But the project leader of CK1/2/3 was also responsible for EU: Rome Vae Victus which is also ironically the best content of either Rome game in the series. So triple fucked by CK3 I guess :D

Vae Victis was good? What did it actually add? (It's super hard to find any meaningful documentation for releases that are that old. Even the EU: Rome wiki doesn't have a page for it.)

LizardWizard

Cipher
Vae Victis was good?

It CKfied the characters/game and added actual election/government mechanics. Before that it was just a bland map painting EU tech demo with like maybe 5 total events coded.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It being a flop was a big part of it being neglected.

You can say that, but why put all those resources into completely rebuilding the game -- 2.0 is barely recognisible from the release version, Arheo took the game in a completely different direction from Johan -- if it didn't have sales enough to make it worthwhile? They insisted it was a commercial success on release, which I choose to take at face value given the amount of resources that were put into it. Point is, it's actually good now, but they didn't put nearly enough resources into marketing the Marius update, and now they're shelving it. Whatever you think of the game, their decision making lacks consistency.

LizardWizard

Cipher
I disagree with it being 'good' now. They copy pasted in EU4 mission trees. Added a superfluous Wonder system, which only really becomes relevant when you own most of the map. The religion changes are just tacked on modifiers for shit you were going to conquer anyways.

If anything the game is worse for not allowing actual Kings to lead legions. What a dumbfuck hardcoded design decision that was and apparently can't even be modded out at this point.

Silva

Arcane
I disagree with it being 'good' now. They copy pasted in EU4 mission trees. Added a superfluous Wonder system, which only really becomes relevant when you own most of the map. The religion changes are just tacked on modifiers for shit you were going to conquer anyways.

If anything the game is worse for not allowing actual Kings to lead legions. What a dumbfuck hardcoded design decision that was and apparently can't even be modded out at this point.
2.0 rebuilt the game almost from scratch, adding actual tech trees, redoing warfare, tweaking economy, UI, you name it. You can still dislike it as much you wish, but saying it's worse says to me you talking out of your ass.

Edit:
https://imperator.paradoxwikis.com/Patch_2.0

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

This is hugely reductive of the changes. IR mission trees are far more elaborate than EU4's, and the changes to the military system are both historically apt and much more strategically interesting. Focusing on the wonders addition of all things is just weird, and reads like something from someone who's spent more time looking at one disappointing dev diary than actually playing with the mechanics post 2.0.

Basically, Silva is right.

thesecret1

Arcane
This is hugely reductive of the changes. IR mission trees are far more elaborate than EU4's, and the changes to the military system are both historically apt and much more strategically interesting. Focusing on the wonders addition of all things is just weird, and reads like something from someone who's spent more time looking at one disappointing dev diary than actually playing with the mechanics post 2.0.
I played it post 2.0 and was bored to tears. It's still the same shit as before, there is nothing to do except paint the map, everything is shallow as fuck. Politics? Trivial to manipulate however you want. Pops? Simplistic and barely matter once you get past your first couple cities. Military system? Just make a proper doomstack and steamroll everything, the AI cannot hope to match you with how braindead it is. To me, it seemed like the same game as on release, with some window dressing on top. The core issues remained.

Silva

Arcane
played it post 2.0 and was bored to tears. It's still the same shit as before, there is nothing to do except paint the map, everything is shallow as fuck. Politics? Trivial to manipulate however you want. Pops? Simplistic and barely matter once you get past your first couple cities. Military system? Just make a proper doomstack and steamroll everything, the AI cannot hope to match you with how braindead it is. To me, it seemed like the same game as on release, with some window dressing on top. The core issues remained.
:hmmm:

Tell me a deeper game in peacetime than Imperator, aside from Vicky 2.

thesecret1

Arcane
Almost anything? CK2, EU4 with MEIOU mod, hell, even Stellaris. How you find Imperator's shtick anywhere close to "deep" is beyond me, there's fucking nothing to do. Trade is inconsequential the moment you leave early-early game (and then proceeds to spam you with so much shit you'll just auto-accept it all anyway in order to stop the popups), politics are a joke that you'll dominate constantly without much effort, pops are some abortion taken right outta 4X and don't matter anyway since you'll soon be too big for some local inefficiencies to bother you, same goes for buildings.

How about you tell me just what exactly makes Imperator's peacetime oh so deep, because I couldn't see it for the life of me.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Almost anything? CK2, EU4 with MEIOU mod, hell, even Stellaris. How you find Imperator's shtick anywhere close to "deep" is beyond me, there's fucking nothing to do. Trade is inconsequential the moment you leave early-early game (and then proceeds to spam you with so much shit you'll just auto-accept it all anyway in order to stop the popups), politics are a joke that you'll dominate constantly without much effort, pops are some abortion taken right outta 4X and don't matter anyway since you'll soon be too big for some local inefficiencies to bother you, same goes for buildings.

How about you tell me just what exactly makes Imperator's peacetime oh so deep, because I couldn't see it for the life of me.

None of the modern PDX games are "deep". They all amount to "Click button, receive mana/buffs".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom