Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Impact

Jinxed

Liturgist
I was wondering the other day if this game will have any real impact on the RPG gaming world. Will it make people turn around and go "man, so many possibilities" or "the graphics suck bleh" Will the reviewers praise it or maybe put it down like a diseased dog because it's some unknown developer. When it's going to be released is it gonna be with a loud bang or maybe a fart?

After that question is answered I ask another one..Imagine is was made 10 years ago, when the graphics would still be considered up to date. Would it change the reviews? That would really tell us if the market is about graphics or gameplay.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
:pessimistic cunt mode:

VD will release it too early. The writing will be crappy, the game imbalanced, the dialogues and the whole game buggy and we'll all moan and wish he had released it 2 years later after extensive testing and polishing.

But seriously, I doubt anyone will notice its release. VD is a no one in the gaming scene. A few Gamespy or whatever PR do not make. It will be called antiquated and no one but us will play it.

I can't answer the other question.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jinxed said:
I was wondering the other day if this game will have any real impact on the RPG gaming world.
Zero sounds about right (and that assuming that the game is any good). How much impact did Prelude have, other than influencing me to start tinkering with a game?

After that question is answered I ask another one..Imagine is was made 10 years ago, when the graphics would still be considered up to date. Would it change the reviews? That would really tell us if the market is about graphics or gameplay.
Well, what did Fallout change, really? Games that don't sell millions of copies don't change things. They do tend to live in our memories a bit longer than say NWN OC, but that's about it.

sqeecoo

Arcane
ixg said:
It'll make a difference to me, so that's good enough B)

Agreed.

And even if the implementation is mediocre, the ideas and concepts behind it are so good the game will still be great. And VD is quite intent on polishing the game, so I doubt bugs or imbalances will be a serious issue.
We will all play it, and it will be the first real RPG in years. If it's as good as I hope, and if we spread the word around, it's impact might be comparable (if perhaps somewhat less) to M&B's. Which amounts to a bit of mainstream exposure, a lot of praise (and disillusionment about Oblivion and its minions) from all gamers with a brain.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Zero sounds about right (and that assuming that the game is any good). How much impact did Prelude have, other than influencing me to start tinkering with a game?

I see much more in this game than I saw in Prelude. People can correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't everyone else?

Do you have an advertisement budget at all? If so, how high? You need a "VD will make you his bitch" ad.... Also, RPG codex does provide you with quite a bit of free advertisement... Seeing as you are one of the most active posters and news writers.

I think it will have impact, maybe not big, but it will... Unless it will be buggy. People wouldn't be able to play a game with semi outdated graphics if they had to deal with bugs on top. Reviewers would tear it to shreds and just link to Oblivion on Amazon on the end of the review.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
When true Patriots die in battle, they go straight to Patriotland
icon_salut.gif

Amasius

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
How much impact did Prelude have, other than influencing me to start tinkering with a game?
Well, maybe PtD will be remembered as the game that set of an avalanche... Prelude wasn't a financial success but if AoD is profitable enough so that VD makes another game and his success encourages other Indie devs... I'd call that "real impact on the RPG gaming world" even if the games industrie probably wouldn't notice.

Wishful thinking but what else can a starving RPG fan do except bitching?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Jinxed said:
Do you have an advertisement budget at all? If so, how high?
Nothing that was set aside as an advertisement budget. However, money aren't a big issue.

I think that what I've done so far in terms of promoting the game was fairly successful. I see AoD links popping up on many forums and I see a lot of articles being quoted and discussed. Considering the nature of the game, that's probably a much more effective way to advertise a game than buying a magazine page or two.

Perishiko

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:

But, you making this game is giving me a chance to play it. Had prelude never been made, this would never be made.

I played and enjoyed prelude.

And accoarding to everything you've stated about this game, I'll absolutely love it. More or less for gameplay reasons.

I'm not expecting a wonderful storyline. But, looking at gaming these days, any story with a backbone is going to be great.

Not only that, but if it does even semi-well accoarding to your expectations (or lack there of), we may have another good game to look forward to.

I'm making a bet that you'll have it done while I don't have internet. (I'll be moving out in about 1 1/2 months and won't have cable till some credit is payed off.) And that's going to piss me off.

Either way, I still need to find a way to purchase the game. Were you serious when you said you'd take money by mail order, or did you never say that?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Perishiko said:
I'm not expecting a wonderful storyline. But, looking at gaming these days, any story with a backbone is going to be great.
The storyline is pretty damn good. I tend to avoid strong words when describing AoD, but I can assure you that the storyline is one of the main features and was given a lot of thoughts, attention, and countless improvements and revisions.

Either way, I still need to find a way to purchase the game. Were you serious when you said you'd take money by mail order, or did you never say that?
Serious. If someone wants to play this game, I'll find a way to get it to him/her.

Perishiko

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Perishiko said:
The storyline is pretty damn good. I tend to avoid strong words when describing AoD, but I can assure you that the storyline is one of the main features and was given a lot of thoughts, attention, and countless improvements and revisions.

I'll take your word for it, as I don't want to spoil playing through it. :D

Vault Dweller said:
Perishiko said:
Serious. If someone wants to play this game, I'll find a way to get it to him/her.

Great.

Section8

Cipher
For $500k you could buy the goatse.cx domain. I wonder how many hits it gets these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom