Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm Looking Forward to Skyrim

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Oooooooh, put your boxing gloves on. I'll fight you, Codex. BRING IT.

I don't care. I know this game's going to bring me some solid entertainment.

Is it going to feature a complex, engaging plot? No. It'll likely be only slightly less derivative and contrived as Oblivion's, possibly containing more lore rape, although I think Todd's managing to restrain himself a little bit this time around other than with the Dragon Shouts (which I do agree are lame, and I do realize have some foundation in TES lore but still). I'm maintaining the opinion that it's going to have enough caloric content to justify eating it. In before LOL SHIT SANDWICH LOL whatever. You may be right, but to be honest I'd be happy with the skeleton-like plotline we were presented with in Morrowind. Despite that game's hollow loneliness at times there was plenty to justify gliding all over Vvardenfell swatting off all those thousands of cliff racers everywhere. A few lines of juicy text were often a better reward than a full set of glass armor (being worthless eventually). And Bethesda, later, after the lolfest of Oblivion, at least proved with SI that they can write somewhat engaging plot material when they try.

Is there going to be a richly detailed character creation experience? No. We'll get more detail sliders for customizing our brow lines than we will options for stats. This is the greatest area of decline but it's not a completely abandoned area yet. I curse the streamlining and curse the console kiddies for the ten-thousandth time, yet I scramble for the scraps that we still have been so graciously tossed from the table of mercifulness in Maryland. Pitiful? You decide: Are we still stat-driven? Are our visually-apparent combat impacts no longer being just swept under rugs? I'll bet the Bethbros spent at least a few minutes conferring on this pesky little RPG design facet, so uh, I guess I'll continue to take what I can get. Anyone know if spears are in this time, btw?

Will it look good? Yes. Just shut up now if you don't think so because graphics are one area TES doesn't have to worry about. Seriously, just drop it.

I'll fight you, Codex, because just like I stated in my very first post here ever, I take these games at face value and enjoy them on their terms. What, you expect Todd and Pete to be the next Ziets and MCA? You want Torment-like prose combined with ToEE-like gameplay lashed together with Crysis-level visuals and all at a conveniently low, low price of exactly nothing on your favorite torrent? Well, yeah, I guess I do too, but as it is I shall instead continue to fill in the pieces that are the montage of thousands of RPG's from the past that all go into place to make up that jigsaw puzzle of the perfect game in my mind. Skyrim will find its place there and it will do so in all its wonderful blooming, epic, erosion-featuring Radiantly-aware way.

And I'll eat up every ounce of it, BITCHES. Because it'll be good for what it is.

*DING FUCKING DING*

Project: Eternity
I played Oblivion for a loooooong time. Afterwards I felt like a complete douche. Same thing happened with Fallout 3. And Skyrim will be exactly the same. :cycleofretardationcontinues:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Freelance Henchman said:
I played Oblivion for a loooooong time. Afterwards I felt like a complete douche. Same thing happened with Fallout 3. And Skyrim will be exactly the same. :cycleofretardationcontinues:

Happened to me as well, though with Oblivion only. FO3 was shit the first time I run it. I'm not looking forward to SKyrim. I will probably not play it at all.

torpid

Liturgist
Crispy said:
I am addicted to video games and will buy anything that's thrown in my direction.

Also, OP should've started with "there, I said it."

Will it look good? Yes. Just shut up now if you don't think so because graphics are one area TES doesn't have to worry about. Seriously, just drop it.

"Who're you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes?"

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cristy why is it you always hoping against hope? Is it because you're a Christian?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Crispy said:
You want Torment-like prose combined with ToEE-like gameplay lashed together with Crysis-level visuals and all at a conveniently low, low price of exactly nothing on your favorite torrent? Well, yeah, I guess I do too,
Because of assholes like you, we can't have good things. I'd pay for such a game. Hell, you could even swap Crysis-level with ToEE-level and I'd "still" pay for that game.
Fucking pirating TES-scumbags, you caused all this decline.... *grumble*

...Nah, you realise how shitty Skyrim will be. It's only fun bashing you if you actually think the game is TEH GREATEST EVAH. And I'll probably give it a try, too.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've always enjoyed the TES series and I'll probably enjoy this one too. Getting an Arena-like vibe from it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Crispy said:
No haymakers thrown yet. Only wimpy little wrist-bent swats.

Come on. Where's Skyway?

THe response to the trailer on the 'dex has been fairly positive. Everyone except me throws in the "it's probably gonna be shit" disclaimer so they don't lose KKKoins, but we all know they've already preordered the Collector's Edition.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'll probably enjoy it for what it is, too, then rage about how it could've been so much better and 90% of it is wasted potential.

Still, I'll probably enjoy it for what it is.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I suppose it doesn't make a lot of sense that I'm challenging for a heavyweight fight after having only thrown several lightweight airpunches myself, but we'll ignore that fact for now.

Nael

Arcane
Everyone's sort of holding back because you're an old man. None of us want to be "That Guy." Maybe Serious Business will drop by and knock you the fuck out.

torpid

Liturgist
Crispy said:
No haymakers thrown yet. Only wimpy little wrist-bent swats.

Come on. Where's Skyway?

Well, what can we say? It's not like you're actually claiming that it'll be a good game -- you're just saying you'll like it for what it is. People with better taste can only shake their heads and tell you to enjoy your roll in the mud, while they look forward to Risen 2 and KotC 2.

:x

Linden

Arcane
Crispy said:
Dragon Shouts
Based on the trailer, Bethesda has actually managed to make the "dragon shouts" kinda cool. Like a three-syllable battle cry. Yes, you should probably think of them as battle cries, that makes them seem less silly.

Now what would be really cool is if the Morrowind theme (complete with epic choir) started playing everytime you use a dragon shout, like in the trailer... :)

EDIT: One more sad individual signing up!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
GarfunkeL said:
Crispy, Freelance Henchman and Konjad sure are three sad, sad individuals.

That was a low blow, but at least you threw one.

Fine, I'll aim one down there, too. You just keep waiting until Thursday. At least I have something to look forward to actually playing.

Castanova

Prophet
torpid said:
Crispy said:
I am addicted to video games and will buy anything that's thrown in my direction.

Also, OP should've started with "there, I said it."

It's quite true, honestly. Over the past couple years, I've worked hard at spending time only on video games that I think will be a quality experience and I'm better for it. Playing video games isn't your job, as far as I know, so there's no reason to find ways to justify spending 60 hours on something mediocre. Find something else to do.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Good for you, Crispy!

It's fun to have a game to look forward too. For me, it is DA2 despite all the flaws it apparently has. I just don't give a fuck. :D

DraQ

Arcane
Yawn.

I'm seeing a whole insulting lot of lore rape incoming, further simplification, removal of key facets of system (attributes) and gameplay (spellmaker).
That the trailer looks good? They tend to.
Other than that there is faint hope that perks will actually be somewhat interesting and the hand-offhand system seems somewhat sensible and capable of unifying magic and combat controls decently. Does it suffice to make a good game? Probably not. Can it make a good TES in spite of lore and mechanics rape? No.

If I've seen the exact same trailer without there being oblivion and its infamous trailers I would probably be slightly more interested, but not as it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom