Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm at the end of my rope on this one: BG2.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
BG2 is a great game. Sure, the engine's shit but that sums up pretty much every RPG I can think of. Other than that though, the combat, the atmosphere (something most modern games truly lack), Aerie :)love:), the non-cliche story, not to mention a decent villain all add up to a pretty good package.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you think pre-buffing is boring, SCS won't help at all - in order to survive half the fights with SCS installed, you'll need full pre-buffs, potions, scrolls, and any other advantage you can give yourself.

Also, the party AI is useless. Turn it off and micromanage your party yourself. The auto-pause feature is pretty good at letting you react to the chaos.

FatCat

Educated
Auto-pause is p.fucking annoying most of the time and pre-buffing takes less than a minute if you know what you are doing so i don't see problem in that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
One could in theory hugely INCLINE (and "fix") the entire Baldur's Gate series by making it a proper turn-based cRPG.

Which you now can do with the FOnline SDK, which can use all the Baldur's Gate assets....

Renegen

Arcane
You can already make Baldur's Gate turn-based. Just tell the game to auto-pause at the end of every round.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Renegen said:
You can already make Baldur's Gate turn-based. Just tell the game to auto-pause at the end of every round.

real time is just continuous turn based after all

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Jaesun said:
One could in theory hugely INCLINE (and "fix") the entire Baldur's Gate series by remaking it with a nonD&D system

Fixed.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Renegen said:
That's not turn-based, the rounds still happen simultaneously every 6 seconds. With that option, it just goes from RTwP to PwRT.

Jaesun said:
One could in theory hugely INCLINE (and "fix") the entire Baldur's Gate series by making it a proper turn-based cRPG.

Which you now can do with the FOnline SDK, which can use all the Baldur's Gate assets....
I isn't just a matter of making it turn-based and suddenly combat would be good. Some changes would be needed, like giving melee characters at least some maneuvers and attacks of opportunities.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Excidium said:
I isn't just a matter of making it turn-based and suddenly combat would be good. Some changes would be needed, like giving melee characters at least some maneuvers and attacks of opportunities.

Chess is shit and I refuse to play it until DLC that gives charge attacks to knights, grapple options to pawns and sniper rifles to rooks is available. :M

BG2 combat is fine. Not that more options wouldn't be better, but the combat is already good even without it. Somehow the lack of attacks of opportunity and manoeuvres did not ruin Wiz8's combat.

bussinrounds

Augur
octavius said:
bussinrounds said:
Maybe when i finish BG1, i should just start a fresh BG2 game with a few mods like you mentioned ?

Maybe you shouldn't repost my post on RPGWatch? At least put quotation marks around it.

My bad, was just trying to relay the info. I'll edit it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
Jaesun said:

Very good point. I'd have to ask Surf_Solar, as he is our resident FOnline expert (that I know of) with his Fallout mod he is doing. I'm unaware if AOO are in the engine or not (or could be added).

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yeah, it's easy to import sprites or tiles in the FOnline engine, you could theoretically do a full 3d game aswell.

http://wipe.temote.tk/pics/index.php?cm ... Y4MjQ2ZGYz

Adding special attacks for melee etc can all be done - though you first have to replace the SPECIAL system with the AD&D ruleset of your choice. Could all be made, since the engine is pretty open and not so hardcoded.

I agree with Excidium though, simply just converting BGI/II IWDI/II or Torment to Turnbased wouldn't work, there's more you to rework.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thanks for the info BRO.

Surf Solar said:
I agree with Excidium though, simply just converting BGI/II IWDI/II or Torment to Turnbased wouldn't work, there's more you to rework.

Yeah, just adding turn-based combat is fine and all, also implementing all the spells correctly would be challenging as well (but not impossible). Would be interesting to try a proof-of concept with it though, for 1 area of BG.

Morkar Left

Jaesun said:
Thanks for the info BRO.

Surf Solar said:

Yeah, just adding turn-based combat is fine and all, also implementing all the spells correctly would be challenging as well (but not impossible). Would be interesting to try a proof-of concept with it though, for 1 area of BG.

If you have to script/program the gamerules from scratch anyway better use d20 instead of AD&D?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Morkar said:
Jaesun said:
Thanks for the info BRO.

Surf Solar said:

If you have to script/program the gamerules from scratch anyway better use d20 instead of AD&D?

In theory you could even mod it to use 3.5 Ed D&D rules.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The worst is the AI.

The AI in bg works with scripts that depend on "nearest" triggers. It abstracts away things like cover into just pathfinding. So it can't take into account cover or create cover with the tanks.

It's pretty much useless for any kind of tactics beyond change to bow and shoot & move away, or dispel rock-paper-scissors.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
SCO said:
It's pretty much useless for any kind of tactics beyond change to bow and shoot & move away, or dispel rock-paper-scissors.

there were nice custom made mage scripts that fireballed with cheesy precision :M

octavius

Arcane
Patron
bussinrounds said:
octavius said:
bussinrounds said:
Maybe when i finish BG1, i should just start a fresh BG2 game with a few mods like you mentioned ?

Maybe you shouldn't repost my post on RPGWatch? At least put quotation marks around it.

My bad, was just trying to relay the info. I'll edit it.

Thanks.
I am flattered, though. :D

SCO said:
The worst is the AI.

The AI in bg works with scripts that depend on "nearest" triggers. It abstracts away things like cover into just pathfinding. So it can't take into account cover or create cover with the tanks.

I think the individual AI for enemies was good in BG 2, but the group AI was mostly non-existant. And pathfinding was crappy. How hard would it have been to calculate that in order to get a line of sight on an enemy it's easier to take one step to the side than to move straight to point blank?
That the AI in the IE games is scriptable is also a plus in my book.

I mostly used the scripts as a sort of default behavior each of my party members should perform, and was very thankful for the simplest one: Fighter Aggressive. I used that for my entire party except the mage (Edwin/a), which I left scriptless because I liked to concentrate on using him for CC, which meant proper positioning and stuff. And when situations call for something other than BASH-THE-SHIT-OUT-OF-EVERYTHING (which is pretty rare in BG2, tbh, unlike in IWD1/2), I pause and give specific commands to my zerglings (most of my party can survive in close range - Korgan, Viconia, Mainguy who is a Swashbuckler) and with that script, even Mazzy (whom I spec with shortbow - she's a freakin' turret with the right equipment setup) just stands at max range and pincushions everything.

If you realistically want to have intelligent scripts I would say the DA1 system in principle has the right idea. But the simplistic ones in BG2 were far from useless and took much of the tedium out of long fights against primitive AI.

A fully turn-based conversion of the system in BG2 would be awesome though. Imagine a hex-grid 'fading' unto that fantastic background art (perspective corrected, of course) whenever you go 'into-combat' (with a swwwiiiish sound like how Fallout does it), and what ensues is like a complicated version of HoMM style battle complete with proper initiative rolls, aoe impact definition, and related goodness.

I really, really hope AoD comes close to that fantasy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom