Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm a mechanical man. (command and conquer)

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
when's the last time you've played C&C 95 or Covert Ops? OR even Red Alert 1?

Female voice: GDI disk detected. To play the Brotherhood of NOD missions, please insert the NOD disk.

edit: install works now.

also pics for mental stimulation

Command_and_Conquer_95_free.jpg

ccgoldsmall.jpg

Multi-headed Cow

No idea if this is the answer, but you've tried running it in Win95 compatibility mode right?

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
I thought I had tried that but I apparently did not. thanks for reminding (and yes it worked after that)

1eyedking

Erudite
I was pleasantly surprised the last time I fired up C&C for some long overdue retro indulgence. Some Nod missions were actually very well designed and had a puzzle quality about them.

And kids nowadays say StarCraft is the best RTS :roll:

Fuck them. I'm a mechanical man.

Horrible music(yes and fuck you, only good track is Act on Instinct), counters harder than George Zimmer's erection, gameplay at the speed of honey, and half of the missions are the retarded "infilitration" type.

Yeah, I'll stick to RA, thanks.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I've replayed both RA & C&C just last year and apart from the traditional balance issues they were pretty fun (well RA is more fun than C&C where campaign wasn't all too good). I still think C&C2 is better than both of them though. The videos between missions are of course still awesome. Also I'm the mechanical man.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The original C&C campaign was designed to be played in DOS mode, so the Win95 version sorts of ruins the frantic pace of it. At the time i liked it better then RA because it was fuck shit tough. Nuclear strikes in particular were a riot. Nothing better then have your entire base almost wiped out in one single hit, not like that pussy shit they had in Starcraft. Then again, i have sort of a soft spot for the original since it was my first PC game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Occasionally Fatal said:
I miss these games. The new ones are just lacking that little something that RA, Tiberian Dawn, and RA2 + Yuri's revenge all had in spades.

Fixed.

pipka

Savant
Played few monthes ago original CC and RA. Just to see where it all started. And didn't like. Computer cheats like crazy, not from AI point but from cheese.
TS and RA2 are still better. I advise though to watch original cutscenes. Kane is awesome.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
pipka said:
Played few monthes ago original CC and RA. Just to see where it all started. And didn't like. Computer cheats like crazy, not from AI point but from cheese.
TS and RA2 are still better. I advise though to watch original cutscenes. Kane is awesome.
You are not a mechanical man.

GTFO.

ever

Scholar
IF SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME A TORENT OR LINK TO THE ORIGINAL DOS VERSION OF C&C + COVERT OPS CD IMAGES IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED

I'M STUCK WITH WIN95 GOLD VERSION WHICH DOESN'T HAVE THE EPIC INSTALLER, AND CANNOT LOOK GOOD ON MY LCD SCREEN BECAUSE I CAN'T RUN IT THROUGH DOSBOX

It's the AI cheating that got me. I was a huge WC2 fan, and C+C seemed like a step up (no idea which came first, I think WC2 by a few years, but it could have just been that CC was ahead of it design-wise). But then after a while I couldn't help be distracted by how badly the AI cheated, magically getting units and gold. For some reason I could (barely) put up with that in Civ2, but in an RTS that's a game-killer for me. I don't expect it to be a game-killer for everyone, I can understand why some (many at the time, in fact) could ignore it and love the superior graphics and atmosphere. But I just couldn't - it felt like any strategic effort was wasted, as the computer would get free resources the better I played.

ever said:
IF SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME A TORENT OR LINK TO THE ORIGINAL DOS VERSION OF C&C + COVERT OPS CD IMAGES IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED

I'M STUCK WITH WIN95 GOLD VERSION WHICH DOESN'T HAVE THE EPIC INSTALLER, AND CANNOT LOOK GOOD ON MY LCD SCREEN BECAUSE I CAN'T RUN IT THROUGH DOSBOX

Is your caps lock key broken?

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Warfare has always been my favourite C&C track.

MetalCraze said:
I've replayed both RA & C&C just last year and apart from the traditional balance issues they were pretty fun (well RA is more fun than C&C where campaign wasn't all too good). I still think C&C2 is better than both of them though. The videos between missions are of course still awesome.

I couldn't agree more, even though I love every aspect of Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert, it is Tiberian Sun that represents the pinnacle of the series as far as I'm concerned. C&C went downhill from there.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Krash said:
I'd take starcraft over C&C any day of the week (especially with brood war)

girls like C&C players.

PS. been playing the GDI campaign and I've had fun up to the commando mission. I don't like it very much.

deshields538

Scholar
BlitzKitchen said:
Krash said:
I'd take starcraft over C&C any day of the week (especially with brood war)

girls like C&C players.

PS. been playing the GDI campaign and I've had fun up to the commando mission. I don't like it very much.

I've got a present for ya.

Oh and that mission sucked if you didn't blow up the airstrip and had to do an extra mission to get the job done properly.

ever

Scholar
Azrael the cat said:
Is your caps lock key broken?

No, but the DOS version of Command and Conquer is something which I've been looking for for quite some time. Not being able to find it, while the inferior windows 95 version sits readily available, has been the source of much frustration.

To add salt to my wounds the ubiquity of the win 95 version has had the side effect of rendering all attempts to google, torrent or rapidshare search this game, useless.

Please, if someone knows where to obtain the original dos discs of this game I'd much appreciate it.

ever

Scholar
lol I just remembered when I first played this game I borrowed it off a friend and all I had was the GDI disc and he lent some other guy the NOD disc. I got so bored with GDI and badly wanted to play with NOD but the other guy never gave him his disc back.

:(

I finished the NOD campaign with the gold edition eventually, but that was back when I had a CRT so the 95 edition didn't look like garbage on my monitor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom