Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN has a go at bashing and dissecting JRPGs

Never make any sense? Ice attack on fire monster and light attack on dark monster is complicated now? Sometimes monster is immune to bullets, then you have to use sword, wow. You even have a scan skill so it gets even easier

it's fucking pokemon with guns and swords

"Japanese RPGs are created for the express purpose of letting one experience the blooming of their full powers from a total zero starting point. They're necessary for keeping public order in Japan."

Japs are so fucking hardcore they need to be kept drugged with games or else they start breaking shit on the street

Black said:

We know, black

Martin

Educated
JRPG's suck, wait they do not suck, they are intolerable.

I did play and finish about 3 jrpg's including the classic chrono trigger a very long time ago. They were somewhat enjoyable at the time and I had played all decent western rpgs my rig could handle. So I have a decent idea about what I am talking about.

They are intolerable because of the japanese "culture" mentioned that permeates everything...or is it japanese sensibility? A particular approach to drama, setting and character development through speech....I dont know, I guess it is a mix of autism and retardation alongside intense quasi comical displays of "emotion" presented in primary school speech and context? Naturally there are variations among Jrpgs in these regards, but they are all infected with this shit.

These factors make any other potentially redeeming features and aspects of RPG's a waste. Immersing myself in a JRPG gameworld and becoming interested in the characters and situations as they are presented is the equivalent of taking acid while watching the teletubbies for several hours. Its a bad trip.

A long time ago this kid in IRC put me in ignore just for mentioning some of these aspects, he at first blabbered something about "mature" themes like suicide in the above sucky context, when I mentioned these aspects again he didnt want to hear them. Obviously another japanese rpg game culture victim. These people deserve honest pity.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
janjetina said:
Introduction:
Western RPG has risen to immense prominence recently with such games as Mass Effect and Fallout 3. In fact, many have argued that U.S. development studios have grown with the hardware technology and have implemented gameplay evolutions as well as graphical ones

dumbfuck.gif

In truth, gameplay has regressed horribly, interactivity is reduced, quality of presentation (writing) is intolerable and graphics range from nothing special to eyegouging (Oblivion bloom).

Point 10:
One of the great successes of Bethesda's games, like The Elder Scrolls franchise and Fallout 3, is that the worlds feel alive. They look like they've been lived in. The people act like they have real priorities. They react to each other, but -- more importantly -- they react to you.

dumbfuck.gif

dumbfuck.gif

Dumbfucks seem to be confusing games like Ultima or Arcanum with Bethesda's excrement.

Point 9 is good. Of course, filler combat is not a JRPG exclusive problem. Recent example: Dragon Age.

Point 8:
This classic mechanic superimposes character portraits onto the screen and displays a dialogue box underneath, which effectively eliminates the need for developers to animate sprites or character models. This technique is getting old fast. With Western RPGs implementing fully animated, interactive dialogue sequences (see Mass Effect and Dragon Age), players have come to expect more production value when dealing with an RPG storyline.

dumbfuck.gif

dumbfuck.gif

dumbfuck.gif

An "argument" in favor of cinematic dumbfuckery? Die by anal rape, illiterate ADHD faggots. That is why we can't have nice things, like good design and writing.

Point 7, favoring nonlinear approach, is good, but an appeal to popularity of Failout 3 is retarded. One can make an equally lame "counterargument" by appealing to popularity of Final Fantasy series.

The rest of the article is good, but is overshadowed by quoted dumbfuckery.

This is what you get when you deprive the console market of good western RPGs for 20 years. This is why Oblivion is a hardcore masterpiece.
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=635340
See what I mean.

deuxhero

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Never make any sense? Ice attack on fire monster and light attack on dark monster is complicated now? Sometimes monster is immune to bullets, then you have to use sword, wow. You even have a scan skill so it gets even easier

No, they droped scan in 4 (completeing priestess gives you a random weakeness/strength at the start of the battle, but that's it) .

What is the floating pair of dice weak too? A table that attacks with telekenetic objects? The giant cross thing with scales on it?

Have fun!

deuxhero

Arcane
Hence why I listed these guys

worldbalancesizedlinefixmove.png

Who do indeed spam instant kill spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom