Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you could erase your memory and replay 1 game

Ghoulem

Erudite
Deus Ex, Fallout 2 or Morrowind. Truly amazing worlds and somewhat unique settings.

Murk

Arcane
commie said:
Well it actually isn't as I was 'lucky/cursed enough to not be able to afford an upgrade from an XT until 1995, so I missed out on most of the great games from the first half of the 90's, and then after my family life pretty much began in 2002 I didn't have time for too many of those games that were released in the late 90's-early 2000's. This means that there's a shitload of untapped goodness for me that will tide me over for years during these twilight times of gaming.

To be honest, It took me 3 plays of Torment to ever finish it. I would usually get to the clerk's ward and stop around there for reasons I can't even remember, but when I finally got through it I felt like a fucking idiot for ever stopping both times.

You are right though, you do at least have some good games to look forward to in the coming years of... tragedy. And since they're older they'll all run fuggin' great too.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mikayel said:
To be honest, It took me 3 plays of Torment to ever finish it. I would usually get to the clerk's ward and stop around there for reasons I can't even remember, but when I finally got through it I felt like a fucking idiot for ever stopping both times.

You are right though, you do at least have some good games to look forward to in the coming years of... tragedy. And since they're older they'll all run fuggin' great too.

I know the feeling. So often in the late 90's I'd start an RPG, get a way into it, then have to put it aside for some Uni assignment or some shit. Since I was a lazy bastard it all piled up and so had to abandon playing for long enough(on many occasions) just to not fail. Coming back to a game after being so drained and forgetting where I was up to, I would just start on something else instead. After UNI I had a small window of opportunity where I finished a bunch of titles, but then I met my future wife and gaming took a back seat again.

Now I have to spend most of my earnings on keeping my boy happy and it's actually a good thing that all those good games are so old as I won't be able to afford a new rig for a few years more at least. I guess it doesn't matter as the next leap in graphical demands on the PC will come when the next consoles come out and not before.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Mikayel said:
commie said:
Well it actually isn't as I was 'lucky/cursed enough to not be able to afford an upgrade from an XT until 1995, so I missed out on most of the great games from the first half of the 90's, and then after my family life pretty much began in 2002 I didn't have time for too many of those games that were released in the late 90's-early 2000's. This means that there's a shitload of untapped goodness for me that will tide me over for years during these twilight times of gaming.

I have similar experience. My last playthrough, two months ago, stopped right before going through the portal to see Ravel. I don't know why, but maybe it's because I've finished it twice during the past dozen years (wow, time is so...fascinating), so all the deja vu's playing it is making me losing interest. It just doesn't feel "fresh" at all when you know what'll exactly happen, downright what NPC, what dungeon, what battles you'll see...

However, the advantage of being a non-native English speaker, is that while re-playing RPG I'll almost always find something new during a playthrough, because you'll understand a lot of words and meanings that you was "huh? lulwut, whatever" first reading it ten years ago. :D

ElectricOtter

Fallout 1. Definitely Fallout 1, though Geneforge and Morrowind are close seconds.

Flanged

Scholar
DalekFlay said:
Morrowind is my favorite game of all time and to explore that world again for the first time would be truly amazing.

Seconded. I can see the flaws in it now, but couldn't then - to go back to that would be great. Especially since I had no idea what kind of game it was, or any of the lore or background on it, at the time. It really was like just getting turfed off a boat into a strange world and having to learn to survive.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Its a really hard choice but in the end PST comes first, closely followed by Fallout 2, BG2 and Morrowind.

Norfleet

I don't really place any value on the memory of a game, so it's not a thing I really need. I dissect everything to death anyway, and the entire "mystery and wonder" thing holds no worth to me. I've never been affected by spoilers, either.

madbringer

Arcane
Norfleet said:
I don't really place any value on the memory of a game, so it's not a thing I really need. I dissect everything to death anyway, and the entire "mystery and wonder" thing holds no worth to me. I've never been affected by spoilers, either.

That's pretty sad, bro. You're like the Ed Gein of gaming.

Anyway, for me it would probably be a coin toss between Deus Ex and Fallout 2. Haven't had more fun just exploring around in any other game, and to feel the same astonishment when i first played those games... ahh. :(

J1M

Arcane
Deus Ex. Best week of gaming I've had. Though I'd have to write myself a note or something since the first two times I tried to play it I thought it was a steaming pile of crap, lol.

MetalCraze

Arcane
None. Because it's better to remember how awesome the game was 10 years ago when it was first played and circlejerk on the Codex about it instead of playing it today after all other and understanding how much of a piece of shit it really is

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
MetalCraze said:
None. Because it's better to remember how awesome the game was 10 years ago when it was first played and circlejerk on the Codex about it instead of playing it today after all other and understanding how much of a piece of shit it really is
Blobert, it is you?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I think we've already had a thread like this...

And again the predominant (and my own) answer is Planescape: Torment.

DraQ

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
That's why I love how my assessment of game's quality doesn't get clouded by nostalgia.

:smug:

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Given the question, Planescape: Torment is the only appropriate answer.
Although I'd leave myself a note about the importance of Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma.

Tattooed on your back, I presume?

DriacKin

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:

This is why I:love: Skyway.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
janjetina said:
Given the question, Planescape: Torment is the only appropriate answer.
Although I'd leave myself a note about the importance of Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma.

Tattooed on your back, I presume?

DON'T TRUST THE SKULL.

My choice is also PS:T. I can't replay it anymore, I just know the game too well. Pretty much every area and every major conversation's damn near etched into my memory.

mondblut

Arcane
None. I'd probably be disappointed now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom