Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls If you are an ice age boomer what were your expectations of Skyrim when it came out

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
It was honestly quite painful for me, coming from Oblivion and New Vegas I figured they would add so many cool things, perks could add gameplay elements

As a boomer on your deathbed presumably what were your first impressions of Skyrim

Did you play it

Maybe a moment of realization as to how shit it was, maybe something that sticks out to you

Or after Oblivion dumbed down Morrowind did you just vow to never buy an Elder Scrolls game until it's proven to have depth

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was a huge Morrowind fan as a teen and it's still one of my favorite games ever.

I was hyped as fuck for Oblivion. Then it was released and all my enthusiasm was gone when I realized how much of a downgrade it was.

From that day forward, I never had any expectations whatsoever for new games.

Curratum

I just don't get how you people do this.

I also loved Morrowind, I remember it the game that made me upgrade my GPU for the first time, just so I could have that pixel shader 3.0 shiny water.

Then when Oblivion came out, I loved it even more than MW, because combat wasn't as autistic, the graphics were vibrant as fuck and... Oh, wait, I never played Oblivion vanilla... :(

On topic - I had reasonably high expectations for Skyrim, but alas...

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Didn't play single Elder Scrolls game. Now, where's my cookie?

I played Fallout 3 back then when it came out, though, and it didn't give me any urge to play any other Bethesda' games. People at school were actually laughing at me for playing that. "It's just Oblivion with guns, look! Even lockpiking minigame is the same! And this ending sucks! Why don't you play some Gothic?" Cheeky bastards, I should have listened to them

Lemming42

Arcane
Expected something in the style of Oblivion and Fallout 3 (ie shit), was pleasantly surprised by its quality but still disappointed at the further "streamlining" of the RPG systems. Skyrim isn't a bad game at all, it's just not Morrowind... but Morrowind itself was a big step down from Daggerfall. When you accept Skyrim as being an open world action game, rather than some autistic stats-based RPG, it's one of the best modern entries in the niche.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I was holding out on getting Steam when it first came out, so my first expectations were muddled even further by having to play the PS3 edition. It was like my adolescence - a few fun moments but mostly a disappointment.

Zibniyat

Arcane
I was expecting it to be a substantial improvement over Oblivion and a return to some things that made Morrowind great: brilliant world-building and lore, a sense of strangeness and uniqueness to it, removal of GPS system which destroys exploration etc.

What I got instead was a game further dumbed down, a game inferior to Oblivion in almost every way: GPS got worse (quest-givers often wouldn't even state their famous "let me mark it on your map" thing IIRC), spell-making got removed, enchanting got removed, Mages Guild was turned into a joke and one could get accepted into their "university" with ease, almost all quests required killing someone or something (even Thieves Guild ones), the world felt smaller and with less breadth, no random NPC chatter which brouht life to Imperial City's Market District in Oblivion for example, Nords are basically presented as mentally retarded, the list is too long.

I felt so dissappointed that I never got back to play its DLCs even though I bought them at some point at a discount. It was clear to me that Bethesda's creativity had died. Not that other AAA devs were or are any better.

V_K

Arcane
I hoped they would see reason and return levitation. Instead, they removed even more non-combat spells.
I hoped technological advancements would allow them to make better and bigger cities. Instead, they got smaller, and there wasn't even a proper capital.
I hoped dungeons would get a bit more interesting, with their marketing promising some inventory-based puzzles and stuff. We all know how it turned out.
Where it did live up to my expectations and was an improvement upon Oblivion is in the walking sim/visual storytelling department - there were some nice landmarks and memorable areas.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not a boomer but... loved Morrowind, was shocked at how much worse Oblivion was, then thought Skyrim was better than Oblivion by a good bit which probably made me like it more than it deserved, since it still sucked compared to Morrowind.

Fallout 4 has the problem of New Vegas being so much better, it prevents a similar "well at least it's better than 3..." kind of effect.

xuerebx

Erudite
I was a huge Morrowind fan as a teen and it's still one of my favorite games ever.

I was hyped as fuck for Oblivion. Then it was released and all my enthusiasm was gone when I realized how much of a downgrade it was.

From that day forward, I never had any expectations whatsoever for new games.

Same although I remember 'fixing' Oblivion with a mod called Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul (I think, it's been at least 12 years).

Saduj

Arcane
Never played it. But one of my brothers bought it for a console he left at my parent's house and my father, in his mid seventies at the time, liked it. In his late 30's and 40's, he'd finish games like Temple of Apshai and expansions on the VIC-20, Ultimas III-V on C64, a bunch of the Might and Magics on PC, etc. He'd write down clues and runes, map out dungeons on graph paper, etc. He really doesn't have the patience for that anymore and likes games where you can just screw around in a big world for a while.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
coming from Oblivion and New Vegas I figured they would add so many cool things

roflmao

it was impossible to have any expectations of anything after oblivion

i did have high expectations after new vegas...for obsidian.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought Skyrim was better than Oblivion (despite being even further dumbed down in a lot of areas), but Oblivion is a pretty damn low bar.

I remember being so hyped for Oblivion back in the day, I really thought we were getting an improved version of Morrowind. I hadn't paid much attention to previews and the like, so the finished product was like a gut punch.

Taught me a valuable lesson about hype though.

Dyet

Novice
Expected a streamlined, less broken Oblivion and I got it. Since mods mostly un-broke Oblivion, it didn't offer anything to me while (as expected) further gutting the RPG mechanics, so it is the worst TES game to me.

thesecret1

Arcane
Skyrim felt like it had better mechanics and world, but it had way shittier quests than Oblivion, like damn. One of the very few things that were actually fun about Oblivion were the quest chains, especially the ones for guilds, so naturally I hoped that if all else fails, they'll at least give me more fun questchains in Skyrim. No such thing happened. I struggle to remember a single good quest in all of Skyrim; they were all complete shit. And that's not even mentioning the "infinite" quests.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It was honestly quite painful for me, coming from Oblivion and New Vegas I figured they would add so many cool things, perks could add gameplay elements

As a boomer on your deathbed presumably what were your first impressions of Skyrim

Did you play it

Maybe a moment of realization as to how shit it was, maybe something that sticks out to you

Or after Oblivion dumbed down Morrowind did you just vow to never buy an Elder Scrolls game until it's proven to have depth

If stupid threads by stupid people earned the death penalty you'd be floating above the chimneys at Auschwitz right now.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Skyrim is the only Elder Scrolls game I've ever played, so I really didn't have any expectations and somehow I still felt betrayed.

It was better than Arena. Talk about feeling betrayed. Quite a comedown from Star Trail.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I admit I was looking forward to Skyrim. I figured that since Bethesda had had enough practice since Daggerfall and Morrowind with the venerable GameBryo engine, despite all the ridiculous claims and promises they made for Oblivion, they might actually get it right this time and we'd at least have a good-looking, smooth fantasy hiking sim in which to act out all of our most degenerate LARPing needs.

But I was wrong.

Skyrim played like absolute shit on release, even on a system that was beyond what their recommended specs were. It stuttered. The shadows were possibly even worse than Oblivion's. The character models were still wtf-category. It was just overall another huge disappointment.

After a few years and several hundred mods it could be made into what I would consider to be a playable state, but by then who gives a fuck?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom