Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Idiot's guide to Space Rangers 2

Jon

Scholar
bryce777 said:
So, the first thing I do is dump my shields. They are just too bulky and they do absolutely no good. Blocking 6% of all damage is completely, utterly useless.

I think that pirates will only attack you if they scan you successfully so shields have some value in the beginning (as scanners must overcome your shield %).

bryce777

Erudite
Jon said:
bryce777 said:
So, the first thing I do is dump my shields. They are just too bulky and they do absolutely no good. Blocking 6% of all damage is completely, utterly useless.

I think that pirates will only attack you if they scan you successfully so shields have some value in the beginning (as scanners must overcome your shield %).

The problem is that the pirates who are actually dangerous will attack you anyway because they will have upgraded equipment or a scanner micromodule.

As long as you have 3 good weapons, pirates wil basically never attack you. Also, even if they do, they are no real threat and will back off after you give them a little damage - and pay you money. I usually attack pirates on sight once I have the nanitoids, then extort money from them.

Balor

Arcane
Well, actually, you CAN become a 'warrior' type early on - (I mean, fighing dominators FOR PROFIT) - but I not sure myself how to do it, but 'pro' SR2 players do it all the time.

bryce777

Erudite
Balor said:
Well, actually, you CAN become a 'warrior' type early on - (I mean, fighing dominators FOR PROFIT) - but I not sure myself how to do it, but 'pro' SR2 players do it all the time.

Yeah, you can but it is not so easy.

All you have to do is use low tech engine and captured equipment and keep a spare engine with you for rapid escapes.

Also, even if you are not a big pro, you can always go in with other groups. It is a pain in the ass to coordinate it all, but you can usually get some good loot and a couple of kills. The biggest problem is those idiots shoot all the dominator equipment for some unknown reason.

Bidjou

Novice
well there are a lot of explanations to equipement destruction , dominators destroy them so that you do not steal their tech, your missiles or any missiles can crash on some objects and destroy them, I even got the feeling some rangers shoot materials because you and not them will have it, so all that adds to the strategy ,you do not only need to destroy but you have to find ways to collect the stuff before destruction or before other rangers or ship pick them before you.

here a link to another guide for the bitch

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=16820

bryce777

Erudite
Bidjou said:
well there are a lot of explanations to equipement destruction , dominators destroy them so that you do not steal their tech, your missiles or any missiles can crash on some objects and destroy them, I even got the feeling some rangers shoot materials because you and not them will have it, so all that adds to the strategy ,you do not only need to destroy but you have to find ways to collect the stuff before destruction or before other rangers or ship pick them before you.

The dominators destroying it makes sense. I have never seen any rangers destroy any; their ai is pretty good, though because I have seen them eject cargo to pick up more expensive stuff quite a few times.

The problem is the battleships. These idiots ALWAYS blast the best equipment to smithereens and I can't think of a logical reason for it. It makes participating in the system liberations much less worth it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
yeah that's the most annoying crap happening in SR too.
I kept looking at those 10k worth of equip being blasted by merchants etc after combat. In the end I just forget about killing but focused on salvaging while the fight is going on.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I want to know:
What does Democracy/Monarchy/Dictatorship and Agricultural/Industrial/Mixed actually mean? I mean, specifically what effect do they have?

Psilon

Erudite
As I understand it, these affect the variety of goods sold. Agricultural worlds tend to want machinery, industrial worlds sell more tech, and so on.

No idea what the government does, apart from anarchies not taxing booze/drugs/weapons.

bryce777

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
I want to know:
What does Democracy/Monarchy/Dictatorship and Agricultural/Industrial/Mixed actually mean? I mean, specifically what effect do they have?

Unfortunately it is not spelled out very clearly (at all). The manual is nonexistant and the game is huge.

Mixed obviously means a little of both but agricultural places seem to produce food and demand machinery.

I believe dictatorships demand more weapons, and that monarchies produce more luxuries. I have not pinned it all down completely, because most of my trading is pretty casual.

Mostly I just look for deals as I go about my business, and if I get a ton of cash maybe I will work towards doing some big drug deals.

Also, the government type and race determine what items are banned. In most, drugs are banned, except pelengs don't care, and anarchies don't. Same with weapons, except anarchies don't care, and dictatorships demand them, and maloqs demand them.

The f race, whatever their name is, usually ban alcohol, and the maloqs often ban luxuries and alcohol unless it is an anarchy.

suleo

Scholar
Also, if I recall correctly from reading some forums at some point, Industrial&Democracy planets have better items than the rest, both in terms of tech and in terms of size.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah. Also, there may be harsher penalties for civilized planets when you commit crimes than in uncivilized planets, like I've been pretty much banned from an entire solar system for weapons and drug trafficking. Don'tmatter to me tho, cause now that I can't trade, I simply have become a pirate, and deal with vicious dictatorships that trust me or anarchy run planets for trade stuff. It's fun so far. I'm gonna start over tho, simply for the reasons of wanting to be more vicious and evil and tough, so I might be a malach or whatever they're called, or simply that race that's not trusted at all by anyone (dont know their name).

bryce777

Erudite
The pelengs are the sneaky bastards. They a re retty funny.

One thing to keep in mind is if you want to clear your name you can go to a pirate station and change your citizenship. I used to end up having to do this all the time.

These days I usually start as a human mercenary, though, and that way I have good relations with the maloqs and pelengs.

bryce777

Erudite
OH, and one bizarre thing that happened was I got 'meanest pirate' awarded to me. I had only been exthorting money from actual pirates, though, and still got it. Sort of funny.

I always demand money from people before I blow them away, and then blow them away anyhow....

bryce777

Erudite
Major_Blackhart said:
Yeah, I did that, but still I can't resist. Also,whats the difference between a corsair and a pirate?

The corsairs are all humans who pirate in order to fight the dominators. Not really privateers, but sort of like a pirate who is secretly supported by the government to use piracy as a means to an end. I think.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Ahhh, ok. Kinda like how Edward Teach (Blackbeard) was funded by England before he turned real pirate then became blackbeard. Now THAT was a pirate. I just got a great new name for a character. Which race makes the best pirates you figure?

bryce777

Erudite
Well, your race doessn't matter too much in the long run, but pirate stations are tolerated a bit better by the pelengi. I think half the pirates are either pelengi or maloqian.

It would be sort of interesting if you got some actual racial bonuses for each of the races.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
No kidding. Have you tried unpacking the engine yet, to see if it can be edited. Maybe everything from starting equipment to skills etc. I would figure Maloqs would be more violent and therefore have better weapon skills, etc.

FaranBrygo

Educated
Perhaps I am doing things incorrectly but it appears that killing pirates throws you realtions with the pirates race into the toilet.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah. The way I look at it is from the perspective of Earth's own pirate golden era, the 16 and 1700's. Apparently, back then, pirates had somesort of a code they followed, not killing one another, what ships to attack, etc. They followed the not killing one another pretty religiously too, cause they had a common enemy that was breathing down their necks- the british, french, and spanish governments (All empires in their own right).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom