Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IceBlink RPG (Android) Toolset and Engine

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Here are two quick W.I.P. screenshots of the IceBlink Android Toolset that I am putting together for others to use and for myself as well. Using this toolset, you will be able to create IB Android adventure modules with easy. Once you are finished with your module, just copy the files into the appropriate folder on your Android device and launch the IceBlink RPG app (in the works). Also, you can share your modules with anyone or work with me to release it as a stand alone app if you prefer. Thoughts, suggestions?

file.php

file.php

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Thanks Challseus, Jagged Appliance and LESS T_T. I'll be needing some beta testers in a week or two. What I could use are a few people to make a mini module each for testing the toolset and the IceBlink RPG android engine. If you would like to help, let me know here and I'll send you a dropbox link with the toolset (PC only) and the IB engine (Android apk) once they are ready for testing.

Couple of points of info...ProphetSword asked the following on the FRUA forums:
"So the Android toolset is different than the one you use for Windows? How do they differ? Can you import adventures from one toolset to the other or would you need to rebuild your adventure from one to the other? And does it create what a designer would need to have the finalized Android design, or is something else involved?"

My response:
-The two toolsets are different because some of the data objects and systems are different between the Android and PC versions. The Android version is a simpler version.
-Importing adventures from the PC version is somewhat automated except for the systems that are different (combat maps, etc.)
-The Android IB Toolset (PC application that creates the Android IB module files) creates everything needed to have a complete adventure module for Android. The toolset will create a folder on your PC computer that contains all the data and graphics for your module. What you will do is take that folder of data and graphics and copy it to the "IceBlinkRPG" folder on your android device. Then launch the IceBlinkRPG app (not released yet, w.i.p.) on your Android device and choose your module from the launch screen. That's it.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
I'll beta test for you slowdive.
Awesome! So far, Karl is on board as well. I hope to have an early alpha build ready for looking at and messing around with by the end of the weekend. The basics are ready, I just need to do some testing before packaging up the alpha. The toolset will still need some more improvements to make it even more user friendly and faster/automated building. I still plan on adding a couple of new features to the android IB engine such as an overland map system and adding the party chat system that the PC version has (modeled after the NWN2:SoZ party chat system).

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Fucking hell, an engine, and a toolset at that.

We can discuss design, architecture.

Consider how entities in your "engine" interact and why you're still stuck with "events" and "event handlers".

NIH a good reason to do shit as any other, but what the hell.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
The party chat style system is now in Android IB, Yeah!
file.php

I may remove the numbered buttons now since you can tap on the convo nodes directly (if people prefer to use the buttons, I guess I can leave them). Probably move the PC tokens down to where the number buttons are at.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
Posted the first alpha build of the toolset and engine to those who have graciously volunteered to be testers. Also, made a few improvements to the toolset to increase building efficiency. My next step will be to start building Lanterna 2 and make changes to the toolset and engine as necessary based on my building experiences and that of others. Let the fun begin :)

I have some questions and comments about Iceblink in general (not specifically Android)

Is there are schedule or plan or something somewhere that outlines the functionality you aim to put into the project at some point? Are you still expanding it? Some way to understand or envision the end result? I read the "Iceblink Engine core ideas" on your forum but that seems a bit brief.

How much customisability do you aim for in the end? Is it going to be strictly aligned with D&D/goldbox mechanics or are you eventually going to go beyond this?

Are there plans for a "character creation" creation system, i.e. will you allow designers to change the process through which characters are created? Including new variables/characteristics and control over calculations?

What's the funding situation with this project? I notice you did a crowdfunding campaign but is there somewhere you discuss specifics of funding beyond the kickstarter? Or future targets? Are there any?

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
I have some questions and comments about Iceblink in general (not specifically Android)

Is there are schedule or plan or something somewhere that outlines the functionality you aim to put into the project at some point? Are you still expanding it? Some way to understand or envision the end result? I read the "Iceblink Engine core ideas" on your forum but that seems a bit brief.

There is no schedule or timeline for future updates although we (the small community) hope to keep it as a living project will increased flexibility and functionality. The project is open source and up on GitHub so it is being updated as people volunteer to help with cleaning up code, optimizing, and adding new features. I have been spending the past few months trying to get the mobile (android for now) version up to speed, but after that will split my time between the PC and Android.

How much customisability do you aim for in the end? Is it going to be strictly aligned with D&D/goldbox mechanics or are you eventually going to go beyond this?

We are trying to make it very flexible by having options for builders, but also having the c# scripting option with lots of script hook locations and having the project be open source to allow builders the most customization possible. For an example of the flexibility already in place, try playing Red Carnival and The Exile (PC versions) and see the different combat systems that are being used. The Exile uses the more default one and Red Carnival is very customized (event squares, flanking, formation blocking squares, etc.).

Are there plans for a "character creation" creation system, i.e. will you allow designers to change the process through which characters are created? Including new variables/characteristics and control over calculations?

There has been discussion about adding more script hooks, options (points versus rolling for stats), and having more of the creation system be an editable script for builders.

What's the funding situation with this project? I notice you did a crowdfunding campaign but is there somewhere you discuss specifics of funding beyond the kickstarter? Or future targets? Are there any?

There isn't a funding option in place, we (the small community) are just working on it as we have time. I did the kickstarter with a goal of $500 as a way to test for interest (before I invest a ton of time on the project) and to keep the wife happy while I spend countless hours on a "hobby" :) As long as there is interest by the community, we'll keep working on the project. The android versions of the community made modules have received some attention so I think there is still some interest (Raventhal is at 4,974 downloads).

Last edited:

set

Cipher
That editor from the screenshot makes this look like it was at least slightly inspired by WC3's editor? If so that's a good thing.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
That editor from the screenshot makes this look like it was at least slightly inspired by WC3's editor? If so that's a good thing.
It is almost entirely based on my experience with the NWN1 and NWN2 toolsets. Plus, it is using standard .NET controls so it will "look" similar to many programs I would suspect.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That's a non-zero amount of display logic. It's a simple matter of writing the code.

Discuss codebase architecture, design, interesting issues, the stuff's neither impressive nor interesting.

The casual equivalent of a corridor shooter.

--

Once you stop making top-level Windows Forms windows, you suddenly notice you can't use the widgets anymore.

If try to use the widget pack INSIDE DirectX windows, they won't accept input or perhaps just crap out. Artifacts, too. It's a dead end from design standpoint.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
For those helping out in the Alpha build testing of the IB Android engine and toolset, I just sent out the second alpha build. Check your inbox on the IB forums. Thanks agian for helping out.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer

Dorateen

Arcane
Looks great! Good work, slowdive. I know doing any conversion is not as easy as just copy and pasting content. I really enjoy the new icons and such.

The cross-platform surge continues...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom