Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ian Frazier of Ultima: Lazarus Fame To Be Lead Designer on Mass Effect 4

FeelTheRads

Arcane
One thing is for certain: Ian won't be posting on the Codex anymore -- EA/Bioware must prohibit it contractually. Right, @tibermoon? ;)

Huh, them too? Wasn't it Bethesda that did that?

Good to know the butthurt reaches such heights (lows?). :smug:

Xeon

Augur
I wonder what kind of villain 4 will have.

In the first it was perfect, One being from a very mysterious race capable of annihilating worlds. The second an abomination. The third went full derp.

Edit:
Congratulations tibermoon

Leimreу

Novice
Kingdoms Of Amalur were garbage. As impossible as it may sound, Mass Effect franchise might hit a new low.

Stabwound

Arcane
Congrats to this guy, I guess. It seems like being a notable/successful game modder is a good way to get your foot in the door of real game development. The guy who did MedianXL for Diablo 2 now works on Path of Exile, for example. There are other examples that I can't think of off the top of my head, but I think one of the guys who was working on the Planescape NWN2 mod got hired by a major company, too.

Having said that... yeah, no thanks to ME4. If they made an actual sci-fi RPG, awesome, but the way the series is going it will eventually just be a full-on action game with gay sex and weapon loadouts between missions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think one of the guys who was working on the Planescape NWN2 mod got hired by a major company, too.

That's Monty Markland. He worked at Obsidian, and is now a producer for Torment: Tides of Numenera.

At least Bioware's finally hired someone who actually likes and plays RPGs overseeing this one. Actually, that will probably alienate their core demographic of cosplaying trans-gaymers hoping for more dating simulators.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think they thought it a good idea to get this guy to please the spiteful rpg fans whilst secretly whipping him to do exactly not that.

Severian Silk

Afaik, with ME3, only the Shepard storyline ended.
But when you see the (awkward, to say the least) ending of ME3, it seems pretty clear that the setting itself is open for moar epicness.
In that case, they should start a new trilogy and start the numbering over at 1.

Akratus

Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They should start their company over.

They've ruined everything they have. I mean, the named Mass Effect both after their fiction scientific process and also the apparant huuuge effect you supposedly have with your choices in game.

Either you do it right or your rationality should kick in and make you stop. The "We'd better not" process.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
They should start their company over.

They've ruined everything they have. I mean, the named Mass Effect both after their fiction scientific process and also the apparant huuuge effect you supposedly have with your choices in game.

Either you do it right or your rationality should kick in and make you stop. The "We'd better not" process.
But the biodrones lap it all up, so where's the motivation for change? The devs at bioware probably live in a bubble kept afloat by fan adoration and honestly believe they are making awesome, thoughtful games.

Akratus

Patron
Indeed. That's the problem.

And they even complain that their fans don't respond maturely when they go for the younger, dumber crowd.

I just started Lazarus and (although I wish the game had more than maybe 30 weapons) it seems to be a legit CRPG, which makes it in rare company as even BG & BG2 didn't have much of a plot. BioWare hiring him may be some effort to replace the roots of their founders, and if that's the case then the real danger for him is that BioWare has gone too far into the typical company lifecycle of "bozo explosion" where the management only hires/keeps people less skilled than them. But EA probably just hit his resume on the dartboard during one of their coked-out hooker meetings.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I'd like to see Mass Effect 4 be more like Mass Effect 1 (i.e. more RPG and less FPS).

I also would like to see the "epicness" scaled back. Instead of dealing with foes who can destroy the galaxy, I'd like to see something more small scale. Like, there is a new drug that is causing havoc and you have to travel around the galaxy trying to trace it back to its source.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'd like to see Mass Effect 4 be more like Mass Effect 1 (i.e. more RPG and less FPS).

I also would like to see the "epicness" scaled back. Instead of dealing with foes who can destroy the galaxy, I'd like to see something more small scale. Like, there is a new drug that is causing havoc and you have to travel around the galaxy trying to trace it back to its source.

You might as well ask for world peace and free while you're at it.

Akratus

Patron
Mass Effect 1 incorporated a lesser known (for gamers) art style, and employed musical talents to create a unique and atmospheric soundtrack.
Naturally it is the most unsuccesful and least liked in the series, and Bioware avoids quality now at all costs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom